If you don't want to do formal night...

sneekpeek

I have never been on a cruise before, and have been reading the boards to try and get a feel for what it will be like. Dress should be a matter of personal choice, and if the staff is unwilling to allow entrance to someone who is casual on a formal night, then so be it. After all, it is their call. I fail to see the appropriateness of "judging" others by the way they choose to dress. I find some of the comments snobbish and offensive. What's next? Do we start criticizing those who wear pearls instead of diamonds? Or perhaps white shoes after Labor Day? Or maybe just because the cut of the formal does not "suit" or is not as tasteful and we would have it? LOLOL... sheesh... it's a vacation. I promise I won't be spending my time worrying what others choose to wear.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 04/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Or perhaps white shoes after Labor Day? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_eek.gif

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

Seafille,

This is just my take. I don't think people are being snobs in their replies.

Let's say you are having a big church wedding and it's formal. On your invitations you tell people it's formal. Suppose some of the guest just said, you know I dress for work all the time and I don't want to get dressed up so I'm wearing my jeans and T-shirt.

I don't think that you'd be too happy having some people dressed in jeans and T's in your wedding pics. People will dress formal for your wedding I'm sure even if they don't want to dress formal out of respect.

On the ship the dress is formal for the 2 nights so you should dress out of respect or eat at the Horizon Court.

Illbcruzn4life

My last formal night, on our 4th Grand Princess cruise, we spent in a hot tub, top deck, with a pina colada for desert, after a nice meal in the Horizon court, (wearing slacks and a nice top). We enjoyed the moonlight, and the back of the ship to ourselves. I am so glad Princess leaves their pools, and hot tubs open all hours, so those who prefer to RELAX, can do so.

sandymc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Illbcruzn4life:

Let's say you are having a big church wedding and it's formal. On your invitations you tell people it's formal. Suppose some of the guest just said, you know I dress for work all the time and I don't want to get dressed up so I'm wearing my jeans and T-shirt.

I don't think that you'd be too happy having some people dressed in jeans and T's in your wedding pics.

Illbcruzn4life<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had people show up to our wedding in windbreakers, jeans, and t's when the wedding party was all formally dressed. You know what? DH and I had the time of our lives, we were happy to have friends there who came straight from work, and the pictures came out great. Sure, we giggled about some of our sloppy pals, but that just added to our joy.

I promise not to come to the dining room on formal night in my non-formal wear, but I do think this stuff boils down to perceived status and classism. Just my humble opinion.

10/04 - Caribbean Princess

1/03 - Carnival Victory

6/89 - Chandris SS Britanis

Hi Sneak, I wish they would do away with formal night but since they have formal nights I will abide by the rules. There are alternative places to eat and we all could use them if we choose. I hate to dress up or more accurately pack the extra duds. You decided you knew all about me by the use of one word (good). I'm a slob, just ask the wife, but I have respect for rules of the places I choose to use. If it happens to the movies, bowling alley,golf course,a bar, a restaurant or in this case a cruise ship - the rules should be respected and adhered to by everyone and those who choose not to follow the guidelines won't get me angry but I'll have no respect for them, but people like that won't care what I or anyone else thinks of them. Whew! That sentence was too long. BTW My docs came in today, gotta go iron my t shirts and jeans.

Roger - Caribbean Princess -May 15, 2004.

Marco Polo 1999

Sensation 2001

Galaxy 2002

Pride 2003

One more thing. This subject always gets a lot of posts but of the five cruises I've been on I have never noticed many if any people not properly attired.

Marco Polo 1999

Sensation 2001

Galaxy 2002

Pride 2003

Generally I've always thought that people who are underdressed (anywhere) are the ones who feel awkward. I suspect those who aren't thrilled about formal night still dress appropriately so they won't feel conspicuous. Maybe they just like to grumble about it a bit.

Just returned off the Dawn on Sunday.

Formal nights.....40% tuxes, rest suits and the like.

I was amazed and disappointed that they allowed jeans in the dining room on other evenings. I understand the point that you are on vacation, but come on....jeans? At least go slacks and a shirt6. Jeans are for the buffet and pizzaria, not the dining room. Really looked tacky.

09/87 Old Rotterdam

10/89 Noordam

9/90 Noordam

9/92 Star Princess (old)

4/94 Regal Princess

3/04 Dawn Princess

Rogerpl

They do not use the word "rules". It says "suggested". There's a big difference. As I was told at the cocktail party by the staff - the captain's dinner and cocktail party is for everyone who bought a ticket.

Some cruises have a hawaiian shirt night. Do you think they should turn people away if they don't wear a hawaiian shirt? I do dress formal if I go to the formal dinner, but I get so angry at people who write negative things about someone that wants to go casual. It's not their party and they can't make "rules" for other people. There's a three page post on the subject. We need to settle it once and for all, I'm going to e-mail Princess and ask them if my next cruise ticket still includes the Captain's dinner if I wear casual clothes

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> There's a three page post on the subject. We need to settle it once and for all, I'm going to e-mail Princess and ask them if my next cruise ticket still includes the Captain's dinner if I wear casual clothes <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif Their answer will be of course it does. Unfortunately, Princess does not enforce its own guidelines...formal, lounge chairs, chairs in show lounges...you name it.

But that just raised the question of whether or not Princess should have to - we're all adults, right? We should be well mannered and responsible, right? We shouldn't have to be policed when asked to dress formally, right? I mean I can see reason for mutiny if the only food available was in the formal dining room... icon_rolleyes.gif

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

[This message was edited by bdjam on 04-06-04 at 05:12 PM.]

Illbcruzn4life..

""Let's say you are having a big church wedding and it's formal. On your invitations you tell people it's formal. Suppose some of the guest just said, you know I dress for work all the time and I don't want to get dressed up so I'm wearing my jeans and T-shirt.

I don't think that you'd be too happy having some people dressed in jeans and T's in your wedding pics. People will dress formal for your wedding I'm sure even if they don't want to dress formal out of respect.""

Truth told... if they meant enough to me to invite to the wedding... I would be pleased as punch that they came... no matter what their attire... but.. hey.. that's just me..

I can appreciate all the opinions offered here and thank you for sharing yours... I just don't happen to agree that a person's attire on the ship has much to do with respect as long as they are clean and covered... lolol...after all... do you cruise to please yourself... or... the 2000 plus you don't know..?

seafille

Diamond Princess 05/04

Diamond Princess 04/04

sneek...

I'm with you... "suggested" means just that... I don't object to formal clothes... only to those who feel obliged to be negative when someone doesn't want to do it their way.

seafille

Diamond Princess 05/04

Diamond Princess 04/04

It's not the clothes that earn the respect, or lack of, it's the fact that someone is above the rules or as you wrote suggested guidelines. It would seem that the cruiselines have to catch up with the attitudes of most american cruisers- we just don't "dress up" anymore. I would be happy with casual and tastefully dressed, beats getting the tux out. Gee I hope it still fits.

Marco Polo 1999

Sensation 2001

Galaxy 2002

Pride 2003

""Let's say you are having a big church wedding and it's formal. On your invitations you tell people it's formal. Suppose some of the guest just said, you know I dress for work all the time and I don't want to get dressed up so I'm wearing my jeans and T-shirt.

I don't think that you'd be too happy having some people dressed in jeans and T's in your wedding pics. People will dress formal for your wedding I'm sure even if they don't want to dress formal out of respect.""

I agree with the above, but these are not people you invited to a wedding, they are people who paid hundreds if not thousands of dollars to go on vacation based on their own individual ideas of a vacation.

The week I spend cruising is one of the finest, and most enjoyed weeks of my year, I wouldn't dream of allowing the behavior of someone else to have that much impact on my enjoyment.

Is it thoughtless to ignore conventions and dilute the experiences of others? Probably.

Is it a huge waste of life energy and potential happiness to allow it to bother you? Most assuredly.

I say "get a life: your own."

Diamond Princess 05/04

Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98

Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02

Vision o.t. Seas 04/02

Star Princess 12/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>