Lvl of svc on NCL ship train to Seward ?

GreenValleyDogWalker

We are cruising out of Seward on NCL in September

Really looking forward to a train trip from Anchorage to Seward

Wondering if anyone has taken the NCL "shore excursion" - train from Anchorage to Seward ? - If so - what was the level of service -

We want to travel with "Gold Leaf Dome" service - wondering if we should just book separately to insure we get that level (and then deal with the hassle of luggage transfer ourselves)

If you want Gold Star Service, you have to book independent.

The other issue- would be if 2 separate trains are used- since this is the first time NCL is in Seward- I don't have that information. Some cruiselines contract a train. BIG problem with that thinking, especially with short time visitors- is it leaves too early from Anchorage and arrives Seward too late for much, if any activities. Alaska is spectacular and worth way more than just passing though. Taking the regular Alaska RR run- at the least offers you time in Seward to at least do "something" (which I always advocate considering, never be in any rush to get on the ship- in my opinion)

Bottom line- pack light- everyone doesn't need to haul multiple bags, way too many, simply bring way more than anyone needs. Especially NCL- with no formal nights and the ability to eat in the dining rooms in tshirts every night.

If you want Gold Star Service, you have to book independent.

The other issue- would be if 2 separate trains are used- since this is the first time NCL is in Seward- I don't have that information. Some cruiselines contract a train. BIG problem with that thinking, especially with short time visitors- is it leaves too early from Anchorage and arrives Seward too late for much, if any activities. Alaska is spectacular and worth way more than just passing though. Taking the regular Alaska RR run- at the least offers you time in Seward to at least do "something" (which I always advocate considering, never be in any rush to get on the ship- in my opinion)

Bottom line- pack light- everyone doesn't need to haul multiple bags, way too many, simply bring way more than anyone needs. Especially NCL- with no formal nights and the ability to eat in the dining rooms in tshirts every night.

Thank you, thank you ! - So we will book the train separately - now - can you offer information on when we get to Sitka. Too early to board the ship (probably) what to do with luggage while sight-seeing (probably just walking around shopping) ?

Thank you' date=' thank you ! - So we will book the train separately - now - can you offer information on when we get to Sitka. Too early to board the ship (probably) what to do with luggage while sight-seeing (probably just walking around shopping) ? [/b']

You mean Seward?

Frankly- "walking around and shopping" can be a waste in Alaska. :) Depends on you- if you wish to see wildlife, the jackpot opportunity is in Seward. You may want to take a look at the opportunities http://www.seward.com

Luggage can be dropped off at the ship- if open on time, no mobility limits and not overloaded you can walk. There will (should if no recent changes) be a shuttle bus- but lines can be long with extended waits. Cabs are available.

Thank you, Budget Queen, for your information. Like others, we will be getting off train in Seward to board cruise ship (Celebrity). How far is the walk if we don't get a taxi or shuttle? We will have luggage.

Thanks!

I'm not a good estimator of distance, but 1/2 mile?? You will see the ship from the depot. Then decide.

You mean Seward?

Frankly- "walking around and shopping" can be a waste in Alaska. :) Depends on you- if you wish to see wildlife, the jackpot opportunity is in Seward. You may want to take a look at the opportunities http://www.seward.com

Luggage can be dropped off at the ship- if open on time, no mobility limits and not overloaded you can walk. There will (should if no recent changes) be a shuttle bus- but lines can be long with extended waits. Cabs are available.

Yes - meant Seward - thanks for your information !