Is less more as far as lodges?

Karen Lynn

The Copper River Lodge is lovely but like a few other Princess Lodges, it is VERY isolated. You need a princess excursion to get off the property. (I haven't stayed there; just stopped by on our way to Valdez in an RV)

If you're looking at specific tours and want feedback, please post the details.

The best land tour is one that goes to locations that support YOUR intererests and priorities. With any cruisetour you need to be mindful of travel times; often you spend a lot of time in transit with little time for planned activities when you arrive. If you're going to Copper River in order to explore Wrangell St Elias, be sure you choose a cruisetour that provides enough time to do so.

Kennicott Shuttle will pick you up at the Princess Copper River lodge and take you to McCarthy and Kennicott but it is a twelve hour day. If you don't mind a bumpy van ride it is most interesting trip. There is a third party vendor who does walking tours through the old copper mine buildings.

The Copper River lodge is wonderful, just a gorgeous facility. They had some park ranger and dog sled programs on site.

Thank you!

I guess my point is...are the lodges and surrounding locales similar?

How vastly different might they be?

Each of the areas are very different. The reason to go there, in my opinion, has little to do with the "lodges", it should be because of wanting to see and do activities in those areas. So, it is beneficial to take a look at what the area is about. All the Princess lodges- with the exception of Denali Princess are no where I would be without a car.

The Kenai Lodge, in the past, did not allow any independent vendors to pick up at the lodge, not sure if the Copper River princess does, by the description above, or if it was booked through Princess?

Kennicott Shuttle will pick you up at the Princess Copper River lodge and take you to McCarthy and Kennicott but it is a twelve hour day. If you don't mind a bumpy van ride it is most interesting trip. There is a third party vendor who does walking tours through the old copper mine buildings.

The Copper River lodge is wonderful, just a gorgeous facility. They had some park ranger and dog sled programs on site.

is this able to be booked independently? In the past the Kenai Princess Lodge wouldn't allow independent vendors to pick up.