Did I make a mistake

With the ages of your kids I too vote for the 7 night cruise. My kids are 16 and 14 and we have been alternating each year between Disney and Cruises since the youngest was 4. Now they only want to do cruises. They both absolutely love them. Your kids will have a great time.

RCCL- 7 Nights Eastern, Enchantment of the Seas (I think)=just over 6K

The 7 night is aboard Freedom of the Seas. Enchantment of the Seas offers 3/4 night cruises to the Bahamas. We sailed on this ship last summer and it was phenomenal.

Edited by Tapi

I have done Disney in July, it was miserable...

We did a 2 night "add on" to our Enchantment of the Seas cruise las July. We just visited Legoland and Downtown Disney and it was oppressively hot, not to mention the horrendous crowds. I can't even imagine doing the more popular Disney parks for a week in the middle of the summer heat!

I remember driving to Port Canaveral after those first 2 days in Orlando and my wife saying "THANK GOODNESS THAT'S OVER!"

Edited by Tapi

That's what I was afraid of :/ Would a 4 or 5 day be better or should we just go for the whole week leaving out Disney (We have been before)?

If you are open to a 7 day cruise, then consider it. I would never ever take a short cruise, nor recommend one. You barely are on the ship, when you have to leave. I find 7 days the minimum, in my opinion.

My wife and I added a last minute 3-day on the Sensation to the end of our Spring Break this past April with our 2 younger daughters. Of the seven cruises we have been on, I can honestly say it was one of my favorites and most relaxing. Probably because my expectations I had going in about 3 day cruises, and Spring Break were so low. Didn't see any bad behavior whatsoever...

Thanks again everyone. We have done Disney in mid summer before so we knew what we were getting into. We have decided not to do WDW next summer and maybe go later during our winter break (I am a teacher so it is only summer, winter and spring break for us) We also decided to cancel the 3 day and go for a longer cruise.

Thanks again!

If you've done Disney World before and really want to take a cruise, I'd go for a 7 or 8 day cruise on one of the newer ships.

Have you looked at the Breeze out of Miami? Or the Sunshine? They have a lot of bells and whistles and I'm sure your family would have a great time.

If you split between Disney World and the cruise, you're going to end up shorting yourself on both. Only a few days in Disney usually means rush, rush, rush, and the same on the cruise. It'll feel like you're getting off only moments after you got on.

Sunshine is an old ship just refurbished

Thanks again everyone. We have done Disney in mid summer before so we knew what we were getting into. We have decided not to do WDW next summer and maybe go later during our winter break (I am a teacher so it is only summer, winter and spring break for us) We also decided to cancel the 3 day and go for a longer cruise.

Thanks again!

If I had to choose between the Freedom of the Seas or the Valor, and the amount of money was not hugely significant, I would go with the Freedom for the amenities it will have to entertain the kids. ALSO, RCCL is having a 72 hour cyber sale this weekend with additional money off. Check out the prices during the sale.

We have done many 3 nights out of Canaveral in all different seasons and have never seen what you described! Some have been more lively than others, but not to the length you saw. Our all time favorite was a 7 night on the Allure, though. Awesome family vacation that we will never forget!

We did a 2 night "add on" to our Enchantment of the Seas cruise las July. We just visited Legoland and Downtown Disney and it was oppressively hot, not to mention the horrendous crowds. I can't even imagine doing the more popular Disney parks for a week in the middle of the summer heat!

I remember driving to Port Canaveral after those first 2 days in Orlando and my wife saying "THANK GOODNESS THAT'S OVER!"

I won't say we hated our trip, as we didn't. We definitely enjoyed visiting Disney. BUT, BUT I will never go again in July if I can help it. I will never say never as you never know what life throws at you.

I believe the OP is going to have a much better vacation doing a 7 day cruise in July versus Disney.

The 3 night Sensation out of Port Canaveral was, without a doubt, the most horrendous cruise experience in my 34+ years of cruising.

There is something about the way you phrased that... that really gave me a chuckle. Care to elaborate? Seriously... I am thinking of a quick Mother & Daughter cruise this summer with my young teen...

Edited by LSEA

There is something about the way you phrased that... that really gave me a chuckle. Care to elaborate? Seriously... I am thinking of a quick Mother & Daughter cruise this summer with my young teen...

Before I write anything else, I will say that I'm fully aware that my experience was an exception and not the norm. With that said, here you go!

From the moment we boarded, we knew that something was off. We've traveled on short cruises before so we know that they are a bit more of a party cruise than longer cruises, but this one was just a full blown drunk fest. Fellow passengers were overly rowdy and inconsiderate, screaming, pushing and shoving, and leaving trash everywhere. You could tell that the crew was trying to keep up, but after a while, bottles, dirty dishes and plates started accumulating near elevators and hallways.

We had some pretty rough seas the first night, and that made a few passengers sick (or maybe they were drink, who knows). There were several places with crusted vomit on stairs and hallways and instead of cleaning it up right away, the spots were marked with yellow cones. We walked by hours later and the vomit remained uncleaned. Once again, the crew seemed overworked and unable to keep up.

The icing on the cake was the full blown brawl in the middle of the atrium with people throwing things at the mob from the decks above. People were fist fighting, screaming racial epithets and cursing, while others cheered them on. Even women in their bathing suit cover-ups got in the fight.

It was not a good cruise. In addition to the things we witnessed, the Sensation was not to our liking. We've been on other Fantasy class ships so we know what the decor is like, but the Sensation was neon purple overload.

Finally, the one time when we were ready to get off the ship as fast as possible was also the one time where the debarkation process was so disorganized that it was almost 11:00am before they called self-assist debarkation.

It was a short 3 night cruise and we were thankful that it was not any longer. As I said before, this is the ONLY experience of this nature in all of my years of cruising, Carnival or not. I would even be tempted to try the Sensation again and put up with the tacky decor if the price is right (meaning VERY cheap) fully knowing that the chances of a repeat of our previous experience are slim.

Edited by Tapi