Who is this guy in the dining room?

AmberCascades

On our recent Infinity cruise there was a man in the dining room who wore an earpiece and seemed to be in charge of....I'm not sure. Sometimes he took us to our table if no one else was around. If he wasn't busy with others when we left then he said "I hope you enjoyed your meal. Have a good evening." He seemed to be sort of organizing the flow of everything. Seating people, making up a table if necessary, saying hello and goodbye.

This might be a dumb question but, who is he? Is he the head waiter? Maitre-d?

Is he part of the tipping pool or is he someone who should get extra?

We saw him almost every night in the MDR, but it was only after we got off the ship that I even thought about how much he did each night.

Sounds like one of the Maitre'ds.

They are part of the tipping pool. Sometimes they come around to your table, asking how things are going and similar. Others don't get so personally involved and just make sure things run from the background. They oversee a group of waiters and assistants so are always available if there is something of special need.

Thanks. He seemed very "present". I don't really remember anyone like this from other cruises, but maybe they were short staffed and he was the only one there or maybe on other cruises they've stayed in the background and I've never really noticed them.

These are the dining room co-coordinators. They technically are not Maitre'D's but communicate with the front desk hostess as to table availability and readiness. They generally are the ones that turn (clean and prep) the tables for the next guests. We've met some really cool guys in this position, one that we used to joke with that he could turn a 4 top in only slightly over a minute.

On our recent Infinity cruise there was a man in the dining room who wore an earpiece and seemed to be in charge of....I'm not sure. Sometimes he took us to our table if no one else was around. If he wasn't busy with others when we left then he said "I hope you enjoyed your meal. Have a good evening." He seemed to be sort of organizing the flow of everything. Seating people, making up a table if necessary, saying hello and goodbye.

This might be a dumb question but, who is he? Is he the head waiter? Maitre-d?

Is he part of the tipping pool or is he someone who should get extra?

We saw him almost every night in the MDR, but it was only after we got off the ship that I even thought about how much he did each night.

Description leads me to believe he was the restaurant manager. He is the person in overall charge of the dining room.

Sounds like one of the Maitre'ds.

There is only 1 Maitre'D. The others were called Head Waiters and now they are called Asst. Maitre'Ds. Just like a Bank Branch Manager was so, now they call them VPs.

Titles instead of $$$$$$.

To AmberCascades: The individual you described is an Assistant Maitre D” who is responsible for the day to day operation of assigned restaurant section(s) or buffet operations of the ship, and supervises the guest’s service staff (dining) personnel (waiters, assistant waiters, and related personnel). The Assistant Maitre D” directly reports to the ship’s Head Maitre D” and indirectly to the ship’s Restaurant Manager. According to Celebrity’s employment position description, the Assistant Maitre D” is responsible for the following:

· Ensures the efficient and cost effective running of Restaurant Operation as per company budgetary guidelines

· As per company standards, ensures guest’s satisfaction at all time with their table assignments, overall service at the restaurant (s) or Buffets

· As per guidance from the Restaurant Manager, ensures that all crewmembers in the Restaurant receive a complete familiarization and training in their positions and are made aware of the company service standards and the vessel’s rules and regulation.

Hope this helps