Noordam Alaska with kids?

JP96

I am looking into Alaska for 2016 and was able to get a nice size cabin for two adults and my two kids (8 and 10) on the Noordam. For the same price, I can get a cabin on the Coral Princess with 1/2 the square footage of the Noordam cabin. I realize we won't be in the cabin that much, but when we are, it would be nice not to be tripping over each other.

I can't seem to find any recent reviews on the Noordam Alaska with kids. This would be a one way inside passage cruise with GB, but no Hubbard Glacier or College Fjord. That seems to be the one advantage of the Coral itinerary. Is the Princess kids' club that much better? They are advertising the Discovery at Sea stuff now for Alaska.

Thanks for any input...

I am looking into Alaska for 2016 and was able to get a nice size cabin for two adults and my two kids (8 and 10) on the Noordam. For the same price, I can get a cabin on the Coral Princess with 1/2 the square footage of the Noordam cabin. I realize we won't be in the cabin that much, but when we are, it would be nice not to be tripping over each other.

I can't seem to find any recent reviews on the Noordam Alaska with kids. This would be a one way inside passage cruise with GB, but no Hubbard Glacier or College Fjord. That seems to be the one advantage of the Coral itinerary. Is the Princess kids' club that much better? They are advertising the Discovery at Sea stuff now for Alaska.

Thanks for any input...

I did a daily live review of the Noordam on the HAL Forum and will be doing a full review when I get my on-board photo tour completed.

My website also has menus and On Locations (daily activities).

I departed the Noordam on May 23 and have posted the scanned kids activities on my website that will be similar to what your kids will experience next year:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/holland-america-lines-kids-activities-examples/

I should have my photographic tour of the Noordam completed and on my website in the next few weeks. I am happy to answer any questions about our two weeks aboard the Noordam in Alaska last month.

Thank you. What beautiful photos you have taken!

Did you hear anything on board from those with kids about how they liked what was offered?

I spent two weeks on the Noordam and never saw kids during the day except for some teens, who were stuffed into an elevator, doing a scavenger hunt . Kids only appeared for dinner. From hearing their conversations, the kids loved Club HAL and all of the activities. If the kids were not having a blast in Club HAL, I would have seen more of them during the day.

One of the biggest comments on Club HAL is meeting kids from other countries and learning other cultures.

Looks like you are big HAL fan from your history. Did your itinerary include any glaciers beside GBNP? How did you enjoy the dining rooms on the Noordam?

Looks like you are big HAL fan from your history. Did your itinerary include any glaciers beside GBNP? How did you enjoy the dining rooms on the Noordam?

HAL ships seem to fit my needs for comfort, value, and itineraries, so that makes me a fan. We have made many friendships with crew members and officers over the years. By sticking with a cruise line with very few employee turnovers, there is usually someone on every cruise that remembers us.

I have been to Hubbard Glacier on the Oosterdam in 2008.

The Main Dining Rooms were fine with enough menu selections to ensure that I always have something good to eat. It must be noted that you may order as much or as little as you wish from the regular menus, e.g. on Formal Nights, I order two lobster tails and skip the filet mignon.

I will have my photo review done by next week with pictures of every ship's venue.

Here is a link the the menus that I scanned from May 2015 for both the Main Dining Room and Lido Restaurant (buffet):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-alaska-inside-passage-noordam-7-day/

My website also has the scanned menus for Specialty Restaurants, Beverages, Kid's, and Room Service (free - 24/7):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-alaska-inside-passage-noordam-7-day/

Glad that I can help in your planning.

HAL, revamped their itineraries several years ago, cutting out College Fjords, so their one ways do only Glacier Bay.

Some really good information here. I am thinking of going to Alaska again on a HAL ship because it does the Inside Passage. Last time I was on the Radiance and it goes outside of Vancouver Island.

HAL, revamped their itineraries several years ago, cutting out College Fjords, so their one ways do only Glacier Bay.

That's disappointing! That's one advantage of going on Princess...

Some really good information here. I am thinking of going to Alaska again on a HAL ship because it does the Inside Passage. Last time I was on the Radiance and it goes outside of Vancouver Island.

My sailing on the Radiance went inside Vancouver Island, with it not mattering anyway with most northbound trips. Same as any other line.

What people may not realize is the routes are NOT fixed. There can be several route options that are selected.