Trays at the buffets on Breakaway?

First thing we do in the buffet is get drinks and put on our table. Then we go up for food in shifts and go up more than once because you don't need to put everything on one plate!

Like!

First thing we do in the buffet is get drinks and put on our table. Then we go up for food in shifts and go up more than once because you don't need to put everything on one plate!

Unless you are disabled and cannot stand in lines for more than one go around and then yes, you do need to put everything on one plate!

Unless you are disabled and cannot stand in lines for more than one go around and then yes, you do need to put everything on one plate!

Anyone with a mobility/handling issue can get a staff member to assist them with plating food, if needed, and getting it to your table. And I believe they they may have some trays behind the buffet for that purpose.

If you don't need assistance, get what you can handle, eat it, and then make a second round, if needed, just like you do at the buffets at home. Only those buffets where there is a one-time pass through set up use trays so that you can get salad, entree, main course and dessert all on one tray. Otherwise, it's multiple trips, and no trays.

Trays are no longer available. Why? Lots of speculation.

I doubt that the removal had anything to do with getting too much food. Removing trays decreases the load on the people who wash dishes. Trays are hard to dry because of the way they are shaped. When you stack them there is no air flow. This causes sanitation issues.

If I were to bet my guess would be that they were taken out to decrease loads on the dish machines.

Trays are no longer available. Why? Lots of speculation.

I doubt that the removal had anything to do with getting too much food. Removing trays decreases the load on the people who wash dishes. Trays are hard to dry because of the way they are shaped. When you stack them there is no air flow. This causes sanitation issues.

If I were to bet my guess would be that they were taken out to decrease loads on the dish machines.

Or to control food waste - trays make it super easy to carry more food with multiple plates / cups / bows without paying much attention to the weight when using 2 hands. That why it was easy to revoke that takeaway policy regarding the buffet - they figure people will have to walk back to get more food or settle for whatever they have when taking a plate and/or cup back to their cabin if their still hungry / ~OR~ sit in the buffet anyway to get more food anyway. Either excuses (food waste / tray cleaning), its win-win for NCL.

Or to control food waste - trays make it super easy to carry more food with multiple plates / cups / bows without paying much attention to the weight when using 2 hands. That why it was easy to revoke that takeaway policy regarding the buffet - they figure people will have to walk back to get more food or settle for whatever they have when taking a plate and/or cup back to their cabin if their still hungry / ~OR~ sit in the buffet anyway to get more food anyway. Either excuses (food waste / tray cleaning), its win-win for NCL.

Except if I bring a tray into the buffet, voila, food waste and I will clean the tray if needed...win-win for me. :cool:

Revoking a bad idea is always a win-win! ;)

Except if I bring a tray into the buffet, voila, food waste and I will clean the tray if needed...win-win for me. :cool:

Revoking a bad idea is always a win-win! ;)

That's if they still going to use trays for the free continental breakfast going forward especially next year. With Del Rio and Stuart, who knows if they will have the buffet staff take that tray away from you since it not techincally yours - better to bring own different color/shape tray from home the way things are going with NCL...

That 'bad idea' of no trays in the buffet has been there before the room service fee and seems to have no problems at all since people don't complain about it till now. Trying to revoke something that been there for years - good luck with that....

Edited by maywell

That's if they still going to use trays for the free continental breakfast going forward especially next year. With Del Rio and Stuart, who knows if they will have the buffet staff take that tray away from you since it not techincally yours - better to bring own different color/shape tray from home the way things are going with NCL...

That 'bad idea' of no trays in the buffet has been there before the room service fee and seems to have no problems at all since people don't complain about it till now. Trying to revoke something that been there for years - good luck with that....

possibly, if they use a cart, but most of the time they simply put the tray down and go (after tip) but don't "set the table," so to speak.

The butler in the suite did but not just the standard room service steward.

But you might be correct about bringing a small tray for personal use. :cool: