Venice - Been There Done That

suntan

Next year we're going back to the Med and Venice is a port of call - 7am to 5pm. This is our 3rd time in Venice so we've done most if not all of the sights (Basilica and Doge's Palace, gondola ride, walked the back streets from Piazzale Roma to San Marco Square, visited Burano and Murano, Rialto Bridge). Are there other sites in Venice that we could visit during this 9 hour stay?

Next year we're going back to the Med and Venice is a port of call - 7am to 5pm. This is our 3rd time in Venice so we've done most if not all of the sights (Basilica and Doge's Palace, gondola ride, walked the back streets from Piazzale Roma to San Marco Square, visited Burano and Murano, Rialto Bridge). Are there other sites in Venice that we could visit during this 9 hour stay?

Venice has a lot more things to do. You could review the "Top Things to do in Venice" on TripAdvisor for a list of 354 of them. Some of them you have already done.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187870-Activities-Venice_Veneto.html

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Have you visited the Peggy Guggenheim Modern Art museum? It has a lovely garden, cafe, modern conveniences and, of course, paintings and sculptures. The art is certainly different than you see pretty much anywhere else in Venice! We quite enjoyed it and would visit there again.

Take the boat to Burano, and from Burano a boat to Torcello. You can see Torcello from Burano, and it is swimming distance for some. Anyway, I loved it there. A deserted almost, natural island, that thrived at one time. Like, it has a very huge church! It was quiet and peaceful. A wedding reception going on. There was something about it that was fabulous for me. Fields of vegetation. This was a back-in-time place. I would love to go back. You can eat there. Also, I have never been, but maybe the cemetery island would be interesting too. A whole island that is a cemetery.

When I read OP's post to DW her immediate comment was "how crass we become." DW and I have been to Venice more then half a dozen times on both cruises (with multi night hotel stays) and when we stopped there on our normal Italy driving trips. In our case, our love of Venice only began to happen after several trips when we had gotten all the usual tourist stuff out of our system. Now, we love taking long walks in quieter non-tourist neighborhoods, exploring small out of the way cafes/restaurants and just relaxing. Burano remains one constant in that we will always take the vaporetto out there for a long walk and lunch at one of their decent seafood restaurants (we look at the daily specials and eat where it just seem right). I think on our last two trips to Venice we managed to stay far away from St Marks Square (our least favorite part of the city). Probably the most fun we had on our last visit was on a vaporetto. We had jumped on a #2 boat (at P. Roma) planning to just ride up to the Rialto stop to do some shopping. When we got on the vaporetto I quickly noticed that the front seats (some vaporettos have a few seats in a small area outside at the bow) were vacant. Having been on vaporettos probably a hundred times we had never seen these seats vacant! We quickly grabbed the seats and we now had the absolutely perfect unobstructed view with no way for anyone to get in front of us. Our plans quickly changed and we stayed on that boat for more then an hour (it was a gorgeous day). This ride was probably worth over a hundred Euros but it actually cost us nothing since we already had a mult-day vaporetto pass.

Hank

DW and I have been to Venice more then half a dozen times on both cruises (with multi night hotel stays) and when we stopped there on our normal Italy driving trips. In our case, our love of Venice only began to happen after several trips when we had gotten all the usual tourist stuff out of our system. Now, we love taking long walks in quieter non-tourist neighborhoods, exploring small out of the way cafes/restaurants and just relaxing. Burano remains one constant in that we will always take the vaporetto out there for a long walk and lunch at one of their decent seafood restaurants (we look at the daily specials and eat where it just seem right). I think on our last two trips to Venice we managed to stay far away from St Marks Square (our least favorite part of the city). Probably the most fun we had on our last visit was on a vaporetto. We had jumped on a #2 boat (at P. Roma) planning to just ride up to the Rialto stop to do some shopping. When we got on the vaporetto I quickly noticed that the front seats (some vaporettos have a few seats in a small area outside at the bow) were vacant. Having been on vaporettos probably a hundred times we had never seen these seats vacant! We quickly grabbed the seats and we now had the absolutely perfect unobstructed view with no way for anyone to get in front of us. Our plans quickly changed and we stayed on that boat for more then an hour (it was a gorgeous day). This ride was probably worth over a hundred Euros but it actually cost us nothing since we already had a mult-day vaporetto pass.

Hank

My DH and I totally relate to this as we have learnt to do similar. We have only been to Venice three times but we look forward to returning for longer visits. We also agree St Marks is lovely but our least favourite area apart from people watching.

Last time we stayed in 2013 for just over three days and got a 72 hour vaporetto pass. This was money well spent. As it gave us the freedom to hop on and off and visit many areas including just walking around Castello and Guidecca. We visited Il Redentore the beautiful old church on Guidecca.

We also downloaded the walking tours from trip advisor as they can be used without wifi. We did the "Foodie Walking Tour" one day and had great fun. Unfortunately I just checked the trip advisor app and in the update these are no longer included. Such a shame. As you are there fairly early if you haven't visited the Rialto food markets in the morning you may enjoy that.

The Peggy Guggenheim Modern Art Museum was lovely as they had art work in the gardens as well.

We have still so much to see such as the Cemetery Island, Torcella and I would like to spend some time on Lido on a Summer's Day to see what it is about. I have read you can hire a bike and then enjoy the "beach".