RCCL Visa points on a 3 day Cruise

I think it's too bad that they have made all of these changes, saved up 50,000 points for a "free" 3 or 4 day cruise, can't even get the benefit. I think we will use the $500.00 on upcoming cruise, and think about getting a new credit card

I think it's too bad that they have made all of these changes, saved up 50,000 points for a "free" 3 or 4 day cruise, can't even get the benefit. I think we will use the $500.00 on upcoming cruise, and think about getting a new credit card

My thoughts exactly, tired of Royal's games with the card.

My thoughts exactly, tired of Royal's games with the card.

Barclays card works for me. You have to pay a yearly fee (after first year) but the double points easily outweigh the charge. Plus there is no fee to use it in a foreign country.

You can still redeem 5000 points for $50 OBC.

Bob, are you sure? Can some others chime in on this?

I read awhile back that they were changing the rules on the card, and now the 50,000 pts is the minimum to cash in, for OBC

Bob, are you sure? Can some others chime in on this?

I read awhile back that they were changing the rules on the card, and now the 50,000 pts is the minimum to cash in, for OBC

I just logged in to the redemption web site and one of the options is $50 OBC for 5000 points.

I just logged in to the redemption web site and one of the options is $50 OBC for 5000 points.

Your right, just checked it out. I'm so happy you can still get the $50. I don't think I would have ever got to 50,000. Thanks so much for the info

This thread has prompted me to call and find out about the points. Tell me if this makes sense to you.

After the call, I'm not seeing any real value in using the points to get the free cruise or companion fare. At least on our cruises the companion fare works out to less than just getting OBC.

I'm thinking that I should just covert the points to OBC. If I spend it, great, if not it gets refunded. It just seems like the most flexible option.

Am I missing anything?

This thread has prompted me to call and find out about the points. Tell me if this makes sense to you.

After the call, I'm not seeing any real value in using the points to get the free cruise or companion fare. At least on our cruises the companion fare works out to less than just getting OBC.

I'm thinking that I should just covert the points to OBC. If I spend it, great, if not it gets refunded. It just seems like the most flexible option.

Am I missing anything?

Points for OBC would work as you stated. Another option is to use points for a cruise discount. I forget exactly what denominations are available for discounts, but I believe you could redeem 50K points for a $500 discount.

I thought about that. I think there may be a marginal benefit in taking OBC instead of just taking it off the cruise price, although the more I think about it (which is in and of itself sad) it may work out the same.

I think the bottom line is as has been expressed a couple times. perhaps it's time to just close the account and quit trying to figure this out.

I thought about that. I think there may be a marginal benefit in taking OBC instead of just taking it off the cruise price, although the more I think about it (which is in and of itself sad) it may work out the same.

I think the bottom line is as has been expressed a couple times. perhaps it's time to just close the account and quit trying to figure this out.

I would use it like you said for OBC. It is totally refundable so it's like getting the cash back if you don't spend the entire $500.

I was told by my TA that if you use the 500.00 to reduce the cost of your cruise it also reduces the amount of OBC you would receive.

Makes sense because the reduction on cruise cost would also reduce the TA commission. That works in favor of using the points for OBC.

I have been saving points for quite awhile now and was planning on getting a free 4 day cruise. If I am reading these posts correctly am I right in assuming that due to new changes this is no longer the best way to maximize points?

I have been saving points for quite awhile now and was planning on getting a free 4 day cruise. If I am reading these posts correctly am I right in assuming that due to new changes this is no longer the best way to maximize points?

The only way to apply a "free cruise" redemption is to remove any promos. Once the promo is removed, the price of the cruise goes up so much that the redemption is not worth it anymore. Better to use the points for OBC or cruise discount. That way you can apply the redemption to promo prices.

Edited by clarea

[quote name='crusinpeg']Since I will lose OBC with the cruise reduction I guess I will just go for using it as an OBC on the cruise and then just cash out at end of cruise...I'm assuming it's 100 percent refundable?[/quote]
Yes, so far OBC from Visa points is 100% refundable.

[quote name='crusinpeg']Since I will lose OBC with the cruise reduction I guess I will just go for using it as an OBC on the cruise and then just cash out at end of cruise...I'm assuming it's 100 percent refundable?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is 100% refundable. We started doing that. We put more OBC than we know we can use as we know it will be refunded. We used to like to use the points for upgrades, or free cruises but sadly that is no longer cost effective.

[quote name='molly361']Yes it is 100% refundable. We started doing that. We put more OBC than we know we can use as we know it will be refunded. We used to like to use the points for upgrades, or free cruises but sadly that is no longer cost effective.[/QUOTE]

"Free cruises no longer cost effective"...thanks RCL for that along with drink prices and everything else think its time to look elsewhere!!

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I am DONE with this card. Just received an email and a phone call today to say they (BofA) are sending us another new card, due to a possible compromise on my account. This is the 3rd time in 12 months. Now I have to call all the merchants(8) that I have direct pay set up with....quite the PITA!!
With that being said we need to use all 150,000 points on our cruise in September.
After reading here I am thinking the best thing for me to do is put it ALL on my account for OBC.
Can I pay for 2 drink packages & gratuities?

Final payment is due on the 23rd.

Any other suggestions for the best way to use all of our points and then cancel this card?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Ollie_WA'][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I am DONE with this card. Just received an email and a phone call today to say they (BofA) are sending us another new card, due to a possible compromise on my account. This is the 3rd time in 12 months. Now I have to call all the merchants(8) that I have direct pay set up with....quite the PITA!!
With that being said we need to use all 150,000 points on our cruise in September.
After reading here I am thinking the best thing for me to do is put it ALL on my account for OBC.
Can I pay for 2 drink packages & gratuities?

Final payment is due on the 23rd.

Any other suggestions for the best way to use all of our points and then cancel this card?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

As long as your purchase the drink package onboard yes you can use the OBC for that and also tips as long as you do not hav eMTD and have to pay them in advance

[quote name='molly361']As long as your purchase the drink package onboard yes you can use the OBC for that and also tips as long as you do not hav eMTD and have to pay them in advance[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Great....we do not have MTD, so this should work out well for us!

Thank You![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

The RC card has morphed over time and it's now your basic 1% reward card (or less . . . ). The 125k & 50k rewards for free cruises were the carrot for a time for the heavier users.

For those who find it's fun to watch the RC points accrue and pick up some OBC - enjoy!

For those looking to maximize value and minimize frustration trying to realize value beyond 1% with this specific card, there are numerous better options.

Different strokes -

[quote name='Ollie_WA'][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Great....we do not have MTD, so this should work out well for us!

Thank You![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I hear that the drink packages are going on sale buy one get one free starting June 15th but you need to buy it before you sail. It is going to be a limited offer, so OBC would not work for that. We are sailing in August and some of our friends sailing with us got emails about it coming up. Others got emails that if you bought a drink package you can get a free extra soda package to share, but both seem to have to be purchased before sailing. Just what we are hearing.

[quote name='crusinpeg']Since I will lose OBC with the cruise reduction I guess I will just go for using it as an OBC on the cruise and then just cash out at end of cruise...I'm assuming it's 100 percent refundable?[/quote]

Thinking I will use our points for $500.00 OBC, I already have $300.00 OBC on up-coming cruise, hope that doesn't matter! :confused:

[quote name='GranysT']You used to be able to get $50 OBC for each 5,000 pts you had. I used to save up to 10,000 pts, and then book a cruise with $100 OBC.
It is my understanding that NOW you have to have at least 50,000 pts to get $500 OBC. You cannot get amount less than this. Am I right?[/QUOTE]

I just redeemed my RC Visa points for $250 OBC with a 5,000 point perk of strawberries and champagne delivered to the room (we could have gotten an extra $50 OBC, but it's my honeymoon cruise so I wanted some "free" booze lol). They are both posted to my account right now, so yes you can redeem your rewards for less that 50,000 points. We head to Barcelona next week and sail on the Allure in 11 days!!