Review- Fury Charters in St Thomas

This was our first time planning an activity on our own instead of doing a ship excursion. We booked the half day snorkeling/sail with Fury Charters because there were several positive reviews on here from other CC members. This is my first review so please bear with me.

We did the half day snorkeling/sail with Fury Charters last month. The cost was $85/person or if you paid in cash $75/person. We got to Fat Turtle by 8:15 as instructed in the email. It was a short 10 minute walk from the cruise ship. Five people were already there. At 8:30 we were all getting a little nervous because there was no sign of Captain Mike. I ended up calling him and he arrived during our conversation. He did not apologize for being late and keeping everyone waiting. He collected money from everyone then we headed to the dock. There were 3 other groups from our ship for a total of 14 people. Another group was booked but did not show. Our departure was supposed to be 8:30 but instead was closer to 9am. He said he would lengthen our trip as a result but we got back at the original planned time.

Your choices for seating are in the center cockpit (shaded) which contains cushioned seating for about 6-8 people or spread out on the bow or the stern. We took a slow sail to Buck Island. This was my first time on a sail boat. So being able to experience sailing was nice and relaxing. He covered boat safety as we started off. He then gave a little speech about paying for the sail boat, how expensive it is to live there, etc. Several times during his speech he hinted at tipping and even suggested a percentage. I ended up just blocking him out after a few minutes and enjoying the view.

When we got to Buck Island there were 2 catamarans already there. A 3rd showed up about 10 minutes later. Captain Mike bad mouthed another Catamaran Captain (The Cat) how he did not like him, he is a bad captain, blah, blah, blah. Very unprofessional. The ship mate got in the water with us for a brief time. The info she gave us was helpful. We saw 3 turtles, a stingray and several kinds of fish. Everyone was hosed off with warm water as they got back on the sail boat. You are offered rum punch, soda, or water to drink. Snacks included a bowl of pretzels and granola bars. The ride back was of course much faster because he motored most of the way back.

Only one person tipped him at the end of the trip. Would I use his service again? I’m not sure. It was nice not being packed on a catamaran with 50+ other people but Captain Mike needs to work on his punctuality and professionalism.

With sunscreen, did you use your own?

Did anyone say that you had to use special, non-polluting sunscreen?

Did you feel like you had enough time in the water?

What time did you return the dock? Did you visit the island for the rest of your port time?

I was trying to see what else we could do after returning ?

Edited by cantonoh1753
forgot something

This was our first time planning an activity on our own instead of doing a ship excursion. We booked the half day snorkeling/sail with Fury Charters because there were several positive reviews on here from other CC members. This is my first review so please bear with me.

We did the half day snorkeling/sail with Fury Charters last month. The cost was $85/person or if you paid in cash $75/person. We got to Fat Turtle by 8:15 as instructed in the email. It was a short 10 minute walk from the cruise ship. Five people were already there. At 8:30 we were all getting a little nervous because there was no sign of Captain Mike. I ended up calling him and he arrived during our conversation. He did not apologize for being late and keeping everyone waiting. He collected money from everyone then we headed to the dock. There were 3 other groups from our ship for a total of 14 people. Another group was booked but did not show. Our departure was supposed to be 8:30 but instead was closer to 9am. He said he would lengthen our trip as a result but we got back at the original planned time.

Your choices for seating are in the center cockpit (shaded) which contains cushioned seating for about 6-8 people or spread out on the bow or the stern. We took a slow sail to Buck Island. This was my first time on a sail boat. So being able to experience sailing was nice and relaxing. He covered boat safety as we started off. He then gave a little speech about paying for the sail boat, how expensive it is to live there, etc. Several times during his speech he hinted at tipping and even suggested a percentage. I ended up just blocking him out after a few minutes and enjoying the view.

When we got to Buck Island there were 2 catamarans already there. A 3rd showed up about 10 minutes later. Captain Mike bad mouthed another Catamaran Captain (The Cat) how he did not like him, he is a bad captain, blah, blah, blah. Very unprofessional. The ship mate got in the water with us for a brief time. The info she gave us was helpful. We saw 3 turtles, a stingray and several kinds of fish. Everyone was hosed off with warm water as they got back on the sail boat. You are offered rum punch, soda, or water to drink. Snacks included a bowl of pretzels and granola bars. The ride back was of course much faster because he motored most of the way back.

Only one person tipped him at the end of the trip. Would I use his service again? I’m not sure. It was nice not being packed on a catamaran with 50+ other people but Captain Mike needs to work on his punctuality and professionalism.

There are numerous reviewers on tripadvisor that were left with those same feelings about Captain Mike. That is a huge turn-off for me. I think I will book with another company when we go next year.

Thanks for your honest review.

I was on the same sailing with you this past week. (the one solo guy) It was cool being up close with the sea turtles. And it was nice being in a smaller group rather than with the masses in the other boats. I thought it was a decent excursion.

There are numerous reviewers on tripadvisor that were left with those same feelings about Captain Mike. That is a huge turn-off for me. I think I will book with another company when we go next year.

Thanks for your honest review.

We had an excellent experience with our Fury excursion. The vast majority of Trip advisor reviews are excellent and very good, with only a few negative reviews.

We had such a great time on that excursion. Captain Mike was very informative and with five ships in port timed it so we were there without any other excursions. :)

I am excited because we have booked the morning charter!

My question is what did everyone do with the rest of their time in the port after their excursion?

Thanks!

We got back right around noon. I took a cab over to Bolongo Bay resort and did a jet ski tour with 340 Watersports. BEST EXCURSION EVER... We rode west around the southern side of the island. We rode directly alongside the Getaway while it was docked at Havensight. Then went and rode right up next to the Oasis of the Seas docked at the other pier.

• 1 year later...
I was on the same sailing with you this past week. (the one solo guy) It was cool being up close with the sea turtles. And it was nice being in a smaller group rather than with the masses in the other boats. I thought it was a decent excursion.

I know it has been a year since I posted this and since your response but.....

You were not on the same excursion as me/us. There were no solos, everyone was in groups of 2+, for a total of 4 groups. We talked with 2 of the groups during the excursion and they felt the same as we did regarding the request for tips, bashing the other captain, etc. It was an enjoyable excursion, its the captain's professionalism that needs to improve.