Obstructed Ocean View: See through the door of lifeboat and into the ocean?

fstuff1

I read that there's an Obstructed OV that you can see through the lifeboat door.

i cant find that post. search has failed me.

anyone know this room # or #s?

Edited by fstuff1

Might want to list what ship you are referring to.

I think it was the Gem but all the Jewel class ships (gem, jewel, pearl, jade) are all the same layout.

edited title

Edited by fstuff1

We were on the Jewel for 21 days in Cabin 8566 That is the exact view we had. It was a great cabin. Perfect location, private and quiet. It is a sideways cabin.

Just be aware that 8566 is one of the cabins that has had the windows changed to opaque so no one can see in or out. Some complaints have been posted recently.8564 to 8588 are all that way. I don't see that same not posted for the Gem, so it may not be the same.

Well, for the Dawn/Jewel class ships with obstructed views docked at certain ports, especially with tendering - those views become 100% unobstructed for a few hours, if you are lucky.

These are starboard side, zoom in/look closely up and you will see those narrow but vertical windows - only a few have these, two small windows per cabin. (Click underlined links for images)

Most of the time, there's not much view, if any at all are mostly looking at/over the top of the lifeboat, some seen more than others - don't sweat it as you need to be standing up to look over and see the horizon. As long as they aren't being blacked out with no views at all, you get natural lights coming thru - just keep it closed while undressing or sleeping, as working crew members in white overalls are known to walk thru for maintenance work & safety checks, etc. on every sailings.

Sometimes, the "better" ones (rectangular pictureview shaped windows, but still obstructed) among these are picked out already by experienced TA's and by CC'ers - leaving the "less" desirable ones up for grabs, usually as a GTY cabin - and, sometimes, you can get lucky by being upgraded - moving down from deck 8 down to deck 4 or 5, typically FWD porthole views.

They are usually priced at the lowest tier among OV cabins for good reasons.

Just be aware that 8566 is one of the cabins that has had the windows changed to opaque so no one can see in or out. Some complaints have been posted recently.8564 to 8588 are all that way. I don't see that same not posted for the Gem, so it may not be the same.

Ooops! My mistake. I knew that about the Jewel. Not sure why I typed Jewel, I was actually on the PEARL in that cabin.

I was in cabin 8094 on the Jewel, but before they frosted them out. It was a good cabin also with a bit of a few, but now on the Jewel I understand it is frosted. Not sure about the other ships

We were in 8570 on the Jade a few weeks ago. The window is almost completely obstructed by a lifeboat, difficult to see any ocean!. It is a lovely quiet room and the lack of view from the window did not bother us as we were never in there during the day.

Edited by Daphnebroon

What kind of natural light can you typically expect from an obstructed ocean view?

If I choose to go that route for budget reasons, I don't really care about the lack of view, but just wonder if the daylight is still worth the extra expense over an inside.

Each obstructed Oceanview stateroom will be different, some slightly and others vastly, in the degree of "blocked" views - this is from our Jewel OV sailing - standing up looking directly out over the rectangular picture windows, the lower portion is blocked by the life/tender boat, the upper portion by the ship's metal superstructure - but, we can look out and see the Manhattan (NYC) pier's rooftop parking and the Statue of Liberty as we're heading down the Hudson/Upper Bay to go sail under the VZ Bridge out to sea.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=625154F59067D2B1!1262&authkey=!AFMai1i3nfaSG44&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=625154F59067D2B1!1261&authkey=!AB8njbj4OitJLqQ&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

P.S. AFAIK, none of the obstructed OV on the Jewel & Star have a sofa, not even the accessible ones in this category, but I stand corrected - perhaps the famiy oceanview that sleep 5 ?? with larger square footage ... they're in the higher priced category within OV's pecking order (read something about it a few years ago)