Driving from Detroit

strykes

Hi,

We are sailing out of NY on the Breakaway next month and I can't find the very informative post I read several months ago. I was thinking we could drive up to 7 or 8 hours the first day and then drive the rest of the way in the morning. The thread I'm remembering suggested a town in PA. Anyone? Would we be better going to Parsipany? I'd like to be in a suburban area with a variety of restaurants.

Thanks!

I think you may be thinking of Breezewood, PA on Exit 12 of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, which is filled with motels, gas stations and fast-food restaurants. It's about halfway (unlike Parsippany, which is only about an hour west of NYC).

We are sailing out of NY on the Breakaway next month and I can't find the very informative post I read several months ago. I was thinking we could drive up to 7 or 8 hours the first day and then drive the rest of the way in the morning. The thread I'm remembering suggested a town in PA. Anyone? Would we be better going to Parsipany? I'd like to be in a suburban area with a variety of restaurants.

My guess is that you will be traveling across I-80. That said, you won't encounter a "suburban area" until you hit Parsippany.

In central PA off of the Bellefonte (Penn State Univ) exit you will find any type of restaurant or hotel you could imagine. In addition to chains you will find local establishments featuring all types of food. From the Bellefonte exit it is about 3.5 hrs to Cape Liberty.

There are many nice hotels and restaurants in Eastern PA, but of course it all depends on what you are looking for.

Edited by Wildcatfish

We drove from near the OH line into Brooklyn, NY for a cruise in 2011. We took 80 across into NJ onto the NJ turnpike. Very easy ride and about 5 1/2 hours to Brooklyn from OH line.

I tell people not to use the PA turnpike (RTE 76 in PA---be careful when you are coming through OH with that) as it is very expensive and not a good road to drive.

Port Liberty is not far from Brooklyn, so save money and aggravation and use 80 across.

Once you get to the eastern side of PA, there will be plenty of places to stop for the night.

Check both Google/Waze & Garmin maps for driving options - taking I-80 across PA from Detroit to Cape Liberty is the recommended route and minimal toll (vs. the PA Turnpike) for OP, and, 8 hours of driving (assuming 2 or more drivers switching @ gas/rest room stop would put them at Tannersville, PA, near I-81 which go north toward Scranton, PA - with the Crossings Premium Outlets, not necessary for shopping but there are lots of hotels & motels in the area, although prices might not be rock bottom on weekend.

Folk's definition of "suburban" vary but there's a good choice of chain & some local restaurant in that area, nothing compared to big cities like Chicago or NY, but, IMO, should suffice for the evening stopover.

This is about an hour of west of Parsippany, NJ and, 1.5 hours to Cape Liberty @ Bayonne, NJ the next morning - assuming it's a Saturday/Sunday drive to the port.

send from my Google Nexus 5/7 MD via Tapatalk