Akaroa - mail train or penguins

We have been to Akaroa twice, but have done neither tour. I am presuming you are talking about the mail run, where you go on tour with the local postman. I have not heard of the "mail train".

However, some friends of mine have done the mail run and loved it. Lovely scenery and Mrs Postman packs you a lunch! I can't report on the penguins I am afraid.

It is a beautiful little french village.....you will love it.

Edited by Fletch1

Woops it is the Mail Run, not train. Brain getting all confused doing too much research!:confused:

Part of me thinks maybe just get there and see what the weather is like and what there is on offer at the port if we feel like doing anything.

Just to warn you that I think this port is by tender & weather can play a factor as it might be cancelled. I have booked our one & only tour through the ship for this port so we can get one of the first tenders off or get our money back easily if we can not tender in. All our other trips have been booked independently. Enjoy :)

Toss between the Mail train and seeing penguins.

Who has done either?

Hi Karen. If you want to do the mail run which is fantastic you need to prebook as he books out most times.

Whatever you decide to do getting your money back if the ship doesn't come in should not be a problem.

Pohatu Penguins have different things going on at different times of the year and different experiences available so best to check with them. The journey over there is an adventure in itself.

There are plenty of independent operators at the wharf offering a variety of modes of transport and styles of tours. You can find them on the akaroa.com cruise page. Have fun. :)

Hi Karen. If you want to do the mail run which is fantastic you need to prebook as he books out most times.

There are plenty of independent operators at the wharf offering a variety of modes of transport and styles of tours. You can find them on the akaroa.com cruise page. Have fun. :)

If you decide on the mail run, you'd need to book. I booked direct with the postman. However, we couldn't get off the ship because of expected rough seas, so we didn't get to visit Akaroa.

If you decide on the mail run, you'd need to book. I booked direct with the postman. However, we couldn't get off the ship because of expected rough seas, so we didn't get to visit Akaroa.

I know that bookings can be made on the akaroa.com cruise page but how do you find a direct booking line with the postman? Also does anyone know the actual miles or hours riding in the van?

Thanks,

Pat

I know that bookings can be made on the akaroa.com cruise page but how do you find a direct booking line with the postman? Also does anyone know the actual miles or hours riding in the van?

Thanks,

Pat

You can book direct by email. They will answer any questions you have. Cruise ship days are busy.

http://www.akaroa.com/tours/akaroas-eastern-bays-scenic-mail-run

You can book direct by email. They will answer any questions you have. Cruise ship days are busy.

http://www.akaroa.com/tours/akaroas-eastern-bays-scenic-mail-run

I sent an email and they did reply quickly. The date we asked for is available but I was a little concerned that they asked for credit card information via email. When you dealt with them was the payment procedure the same and did they send a confirmation.

Any additional information you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

I sent an email and they did reply quickly. The date we asked for is available but I was a little concerned that they asked for credit card information via email. When you dealt with them was the payment procedure the same and did they send a confirmation.

Any additional information you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

I wouldn't give credit card details via email to anyone. However, I would give cc details over the phone. I made a booking early on and, at that stage, they didn't ask for credit card details. Just check that they are using the credit card only as a guarantee and that they won't bill the card, if the ship doesn't call at the port (which was what happened to me.) I would certainly trust the people, who operate the daily postal tour, who I dealt with.

I was disappointed that I missed the tour because of rough seas and will definitely do it, if I visit again.

Edited by MMDown Under