Opinions Please

louallard

Hi,

We have booked a cruise with a BZ guarantee.

I understand that the cabin assignment I'd done after final payment is made.

Is it advantageous to pay early, or wait till do date in hopes of a better cabin?

Just wondering

Thanks Lou

Hi,

Is it advantageous to pay early, or wait till do date in hopes of a better cabin?

Just wondering

Thanks Lou

Final payment date has nothing to do with full payment. You can pay off the cruise whenever you want.

Also, they do not necessarily wait until final payment to assign a cabin on a guarantee. We booked a GTY Balcony for our Dec 5th cruise and a cabin was assigned last week (BB) which we are happy with. They might still upgrade us again (like they have in the past) but I am not holding my breath. Our final payment is due in September.

Just to reiterate the common wisdom here…there is no out-thinking the Upgrade Fairy. My best upgrade came when I'd booked a specific cabin, and the last time I booked a guarantee, we were put in exactly the category we'd booked.

Often, especially lately it seems, assignments aren't made right after final payment, but just days before sailing.

Hi,

Just wondering

Thanks Lou

Its a crap shoot anyway you do it.

If you know where you don't want to be its best to pick a cabin/location that you like so you are not disappointed if they assign you to the cabin/location you don't want. :(

Its a crap shoot anyway you do it.

If you know where you don't want to be its best to pick a cabin/location that you like so you are not disappointed if they assign you to the cabin/location you don't want. :(

Strictly supply and demand. Yield Management selects the GTY cabins based on the category you booked, demand for that category and availability of cabins in "better" categories. Most "upgrades" are the exact same cabin type in a different location. You may or may not like the new location. The preferred cabins are booked first by people selecting a specific cabin. It's always a gamble.

Hi,

I have had a GTY assignment made as soon as within an hour of booking and as late as the week before the cruise.

Final payment has nothing to do with it.