Jewel cruises cancelled February 2016

joteacher

We are not asking for extra compensation. We are asking for a lateral move to another ship sailing in the date for a 7 night cruise.

Additionally we are not out any money if we cancel all together. We all have the insurance but it isn't necessary to use it, this isn't an insurance situation.

The issue here is the cruises now are more expensive so anything we book now will cost us more money. Remember NCL has created this issue, not us. The burden should be so let on them to fix it. We are not asking to move up cabin categories, or get additional on board credit or free anything. I feel we are being very reasonable in wanting a lateral move. Not everyone is retired and can sail at anytime. This is the only week our group can all travel.

I agree with you, especially since the cruises were the same price when you made your original reservation. If you are working with a TA, they should be able to help you and if they can't then you need to find a new TA.

Good news!

I was contacted by Kathleen at NCL yesterday. She is on the team working to move all of us displaced by the Jewel cancellations. I explained my displeasure with how it was being handled and she asked that I send her an e-mail with the details and what I was requesting. I did that yesterday afternoon and this morning she called and told me they were going to give us the lateral move I requested! The only one they can't accommodate was the Owners suite with 2 balconies and the haven as the Dawn doesn't have the Haven. They offered a lesser suite instead.

Huge kudos and thank you to Kathleen for working so hard to make this right for us! I'm so glad NCL chose to do the right thing, keeps me loyal to them!

Good news!

I was contacted by Kathleen at NCL yesterday. She is on the team working to move all of us displaced by the Jewel cancellations. I explained my displeasure with how it was being handled and she asked that I send her an e-mail with the details and what I was requesting. I did that yesterday afternoon and this morning she called and told me they were going to give us the lateral move I requested! The only one they can't accommodate was the Owners suite with 2 balconies and the haven as the Dawn doesn't have the Haven. They offered a lesser suite instead.

Huge kudos and thank you to Kathleen for working so hard to make this right for us! I'm so glad NCL chose to do the right thing, keeps me loyal to them!

Congratulations !!! I knew that they would do this, if the right person was contacted. I have seen it done in the past and it was not an unreasonable request. Now you can move on from this and start planning a WONDERFUL vacation :)

Any insight would be helpful...

We are booked on the Jewel from 2/14/16-2/21/16 in an AFT Facing Mini-Suite. We have not yet received an email about a cancellation.

So, I'm wondering...do they cancel a bunch of cabins right away to make room for the charter or do they do it a bit at a time based on the demand of the charter and essentially "bump" cabins that were already booked by others whenever a charter traveler wants it. I mention this because I'm seeing a lot of comments from other cruisers who have been cancelled but we have not.

Also curious about what the charter might be...we're traveling with a 6 and 4 year old and the "Monsters of Metal", "Country Bumpkin Ho-Down" or "Rappers Retreat" wouldn't exactly be something we would be in to.

So, I'm wondering...do they cancel a bunch of cabins right away to make room for the charter or do they do it a bit at a time based on the demand of the charter and essentially "bump" cabins that were already booked by others whenever a charter traveler wants it.

I don't remember ever seeing people getting their reservations cancelled unless it is a full charter meaning that all the cabins are sold to the company chartering the (whole) ship. Partial charters are done so that existing reservations are not affected.

I don't remember ever seeing people getting their reservations cancelled unless it is a full charter meaning that all the cabins are sold to the company chartering the (whole) ship. Partial charters are done so that existing reservations are not affected.

I agree. I was booked on the Feb 21 cruise, which was also cancelled.

Did you book through a TA?

I would be calling whomever you booked with right away. There is a limited time to change your cruise, after which they will just cancel your reservation and refund your deposit.

You also might want to check your spam folder in case the email went there.

Lois

Thanks Demonyte and electro. I appreciate the quick response. I booked directly through NCL so I'll call them again. When this first started to come to light I did call and was assured that our sailing was still a "go" just not available for new bookings.

I've explored some alternatives and one is getting on a Princess cruise that leaves one day earlier and returns one day earlier than our Jewel sailing. I was looking forward to this specific cruise on NCL though since we have the exact same cabin booked that we did when we sailed on the Jewel out of NYC a few years back.

By the by...this site is great, thanks for all the good info.

My wife is also a teacher. We were also planning an even number bday celebration for her on this trip. We planned on doing this cruise and meeting some family who live in Vegas...they were going to cruise with us. We did find that Princess has a nearly exact itinerary from San Pedro, it leaves on the 13th and returns on the 20th. The rates are fairly close to NCL so that may be worth a look for you. This cancellation is of particular inconvenience to us as we already had our flights from Boston booked. Lesson learned I guess...hope you find some relief and that you're able to enjoy the school break! Eat, Drin & Be Merry!!!

Could a partial charter be the reason why I received an email this morning asking for me to voluntarily move my reservation from Jan 2016 to a sail date late 2015? Does Norwegian typically do this? If I were to call, would an agent tell me about possible charters or do they have no obligation to tell you that sort of stuff?

There have been multiple reported cases where that kind of offer has been sent and it does not have reportedly have anything to do with charters, just possible overbooking etc. But no, the cruise line won't give you information about other booked passengers/groups even if asked - they are obligated to protect the privacy of others.

We have 3 rooms booked for a family cruise on Feb 7 This cruise is not cancelled, but we received an email from the upsell department offering a free upgrade from oceanview to balcony if we are willing to change our dates to Oct-Dec 2015. I guess they are trying to free up some room in the only cruise left in February.

We will not be taking the offer since some of our party is tied to the date and we are already doing back-to-back in November, one of which is on the Jewell.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't sleep so of course checked out NCL sailings

the Jewel is back on the itinerary for Feb 14 to March 13 .... doing two back to back Panama Canal Cruises. Friends and Family sail free (port charges/fees apply), UBP available as perk

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-08%20at%203.05.12%20AM_zpsmfa91nsw.pngScreen%20Shot%202015-07-08%20at%203.03.29%20AM_zpshnrhjias.png

Edited by kjquilts

Congratulations !!! I knew that they would do this, if the right person was contacted. I have seen it done in the past and it was not an unreasonable request. Now you can move on from this and start planning a WONDERFUL vacation :)

Or....the right person reads CC!

Harriet

Found this post very interesting especially since I booked this cruise this morning 2/14 thru 2/28 from LA to Miami through the Panama Canal.

Seems strange that the dates were different (only thru the 21st from the post I read). Are people still traveling who were previously told it was cancelled? Is it a partially charted ship?

I booked through an online TA but NCL site is also showing available cabins.

Thinking of booking air tonight. Should I?

The Pearl is already chartered for Jan to March of 2016, so whoever chartered the Jewel (if that's the case), couldn't get the Pearl.

How do you find this kind of information out? I wonder if Oprahs chartering that ship? Ha ha [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Found this post very interesting especially since I booked this cruise this morning 2/14 thru 2/28 from LA to Miami through the Panama Canal.

Seems strange that the dates were different (only thru the 21st from the post I read). Are people still traveling who were previously told it was cancelled? Is it a partially charted ship?

I booked through an online TA but NCL site is also showing available cabins.

Thinking of booking air tonight. Should I?

I would call ncl and double check what you heard about this cruise

Then call again just to make sure you get the same answer

Also google the websites that list chartered cruises....themed cruises etc

If all is good and the airfare is good then buy it

Then immediately buy an insurance policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems strange that the dates were different (only thru the 21st from the post I read).

I would call ncl and double check what you heard about this cruise

As post #37 in this thread states, those PC cruises came available later which means that the charter dates/plans have become more accurate between the start of this thread and now.

• 4 weeks later...

:confused:

We booked the February 15 Panama Canal cruise on the Jewel. I asked if this was chartered, but got no clear answer. "many companies charter for their employees"

All the aft balconies were booked. There are 10 to 15 cabins available in most categories.

It makes me nervous that most of the ship could be booked by one interest group and we have no interest in that interest. My nightmare is to find ourselves on "heavy metal" cruise when we are a soft rock "60 s couple.

So, luvtheships, where does one find a web site on chartered ships. I tried (well not real hard) and could not fine a web site.