Naples to Positano by boat/ferry

pmt3

Hi we are a family of five that will be arriving by cruise ship to Naples on a Saturday in June. I have always wanted to see the Amalfi Coast and thought we would do a tour to Positano and Amalfi. This week I have done a lot of research and reading about all of the turns and twists and am afraid 3/5 of us would probably end up with motion sickness! I am thinking it will not be worth it to spend $300+to all get car sick!!!! We are fine on the cruise, but turns really get to us, and medication doesn't help.

So now I need to figure out another (nautical) way for us to see things...on a tight budget. Any advice would be appreciated. We can handle a short bus ride with some turns, but not an hour +!!

You can get there easily by boat, getting back is a tad more challenging but possible.

You haven't shared your port times but most ships arrive between 7 AM - 8 AM so you shouldn't have any problem making the 9 AM high speed ferry from Naples Beverello to Sorrento. The ferry port (Beverello) is adjacent to the cruise port (Angioino), a quick walk of less than five minutes.

You arrive to Sorrento at about 9:45 AM; you'd have a little time to kill because the boat to Positano doesn't depart until 10:30 AM. That's not a lot of time but you can wander around a bit.

The 10:30 boat gets you to Positano at about 11:30 AM.

Alilauro info here: http://www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe?route_group_id=3

The Alilauro return is too late, from Positano at 17:00 (5 PM). However, Coop Sant'Andrea may have a better return time. Unfortunately they are not posting their schedule between Positano and Sorrento on line at the moment, you could try e-mailing them (http://www.coopsantandrea.com/it/servizidilinea/servizi_b.asp?id=20)

Worst case would be a bus or taxi from Positano back to Sorrento to catch the 16:25 return ferry (4:25, gets you to Naples at about 5:15 PM). The amount of time on the coast road when departing from Positano is pretty limited, most of the ride is inland.

I have always wanted to see the Amalfi Coast and thought we would do a tour to Positano and Amalfi.

We can handle a short bus ride with some turns, but not an hour +!!

Just FYI, a bus tour that starts in Naples, goes to the Amalfi coast, and tours the coast including Amalfi and Positano and returns to Naples will be WAY more than an an hour+. It would take up the better part of the day, as it would be over an hour just to get TO the Amalfi Coast, let alone touring it and then returning. And having been on an Amalfi Coast drive, you are wise to avoid it if several in your family are prone to getting carsick!

Just FYI, a bus tour that starts in Naples, goes to the Amalfi coast, and tours the coast including Amalfi and Positano and returns to Naples will be WAY more than an an hour+. It would take up the better part of the day, as it would be over an hour just to get TO the Amalfi Coast, let alone touring it and then returning. And having been on an Amalfi Coast drive, you are wise to avoid it if several in your family are prone to getting carsick!

FYI, the tour buses (and this is any tour bus) is not permitted to go down into the town of Positano. Some tours are a bit deceptive and might say something like "you will see the beautiful cliffside city of Positano" which is "tour speak" that means you will "see" the city from the road. If you want to truly experience Positano you will need to be on a private tour in a car or van or go on your own with a rental car, boats, etc.

Hank

FYI, the tour buses (and this is any tour bus) is not permitted to go down into the town of Positano. Some tours are a bit deceptive and might say something like "you will see the beautiful cliffside city of Positano" which is "tour speak" that means you will "see" the city from the road. If you want to truly experience Positano you will need to be on a private tour in a car or van or go on your own with a rental car, boats, etc.

Hank

Yes, I have stayed there and am well aware of that. When I referred to a bus tour that "tours the Amalfi coast" I meant a bus tour that drives along the Amalfi Coast from one town to another, not necessarily going in and around the towns. Still, it would take several hours at least to get TO the coast, tour the coast, and return, not an hour+ as someone mentioned.