Review of May 18 Reflection - Eastern Mediterranean

NYR Fan

This was our second Eastern Mediterranean cruise, however, the first one was only a week and this was 12 days -- a big difference; great balance between sea days and tour days. Since we had already been to Rome, we arrived one day prior and took the Hop On/Hop Off, red bus, 20 Euros per person for 24 hours; excellent value. After a long flight, we just wanted to see some of the highlights, ride around for a while, eat some good food (which we did) and have some gelato (which we did too). If you have never been to Rome before, do an organized tour with a guide. There was endless harassment by people selling "selfie sticks" in the streets - ugh.

Boarded our beautiful ship around 1pm without any problem. Toured the ship, checked out our stateroom, then went for lunch. Since we upgraded to a Sky Suite, we were able to have most of our meals in the new Luminae. I can't say enough as to how beautiful a venue and how helpful and caring are the staff; what a bonus. The menu is quite limited, but you can always ask for something from the MDR. Emma was our waitress most nights -- what a delightful person.

Santorini - took "Island of Santorini and Village of Oia" excursion via Celebrity $76.75pp; gave us sufficient time to explore on our own to pick up some small gifts to bring home then have lunch on our own; went with another couple from our "group" (which consisted of a total of 4 couples who met here on Cruise Critic and booked several excursions together) to a recommended restaurant -- Naoussa in Fira, fresh food, inexpensive, good service (www.naoussa-restaurant.com). Some people say it's easy to do Santorini on your own by taking the cable up and then the local bus, but we decided to hop on with Celebrity. The Celebrity bus picked us up right next to the port, the bus winded it's way up around the mountain (a little scary for those who are squeemish). We had a lovely guide who pointed out some of the highlights. At the end, we were dropped off near town where we went for lunch and shopped. Our tour included a ticket for the the tram down at the end of the day; we didn't want to walk the path with all the donkey poo.

Istanbul - Took "Private Ephesus & Istanbul Tours" with our "group of 8" -- was total of 320 Euros, admission fees were extra 20 Euros per person; our tour guide was Hatica (6.5 hours of non-stop walking)!!!!! but the cost did include delicious, complimentary lunch. Went to Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi and Hippodrome, as well as the Grand Bazaar. I didn't like the Grand Bazaar here; very crowded, smelly and overwhelming -- check out some prices it you plan to buy, but wait for Ephesus; nicer Bazaar. We never went to the Spice Market, so can't comment. Bring scarf and socks so you're not walking barefoot when you go into the mosque. Even though we had the next morning in Istanbul, we were too exhausted to go out, so we lounged by the pool.

Ephesus/Kusadasi - "Private Ephesus & Istanbul Tours" (www.ephesusporttours.com) with our "group" -- was total of 320 Euros for 8 people; admission fees were 10 Euros extra per person; our tour guide was Pinar; also included complimentary lunch outdoors in a garden at Ephesus Restaurant; very nice. The Grand Bazaar in this town is MUCH better here for shopping than Istanbul. Do your homework ahead of time. You MUST bargain!!

Mykonos - took the Celebrity "shuttle" for $29.95pp to Elia Beach; beautiful and clean; chairs and umbrellas were 5 Euros to rent; we spent about 3-1/2 hours there; there is also a restaurant and clean bathrooms; buses are at 9am, 10am and 11am -- we were late booking and had to take 11am, but the night before I called the Shore Excursions Desk and we got moved up to 10am; bus can drop you off near town, which we did; shopped for more goodies and had an excellent lunch near the shoreline; I don't remember the name of the place, but there are lots of restaurants to chose from -- they are all good. Look for the Pelican at the shore; everyone knows it (Pedro??).

Athens - we had a complimentary, private tour courtesy of our cruise agent. On our previous visit we had a comprehensive tour, which included going up to the Acropolis. There is now a new Acropolis Museum which has many interesting artifacts. Our day included a wonderful lunch at the Plaka after which we were on our own to shop, etc., then met the bus which took us back to the ship.

Naples - we had previously gone to Capri (there is a ferry right next to the ship's port; very easy to do on your own); so this time we went with our "group" to Pompeii, Sorrento & Positano via APTours.it; our guide was Arturo; complimentary, delicious lunch was included at La Basilica (www.ristorantelabasilica.com). Some good shopping for goodies around the corner from the restaurant. I would LOVE to come back and spend more time along the Amalfi Coast.

IMPORTANT: take paper toilet seat covers (from public bathrooms on the ship) and/or toilet paper when going out on tours

Mykonos - took the Celebrity "shuttle" for $29.95pp to Elia Beach; beautiful and clean; chairs and umbrellas were 5 Euros to rent; we spent about 3-1/2 hours there; there is also a restaurant and clean bathrooms; buses are at 9am, 10am and 11am -- we were late booking and had to take 11am, but the night before I called the Shore Excursions Desk and we got moved up to 10am; bus can drop you off near town, which we did; shopped for more goodies and had an excellent lunch near the shoreline; I don't remember the name of the place, but there are lots of restaurants to chose from -- they are all good. Look for the Pelican at the shore; everyone knows it (Pedro??).

Nice review - thank you for posting. We are sailing on The Equinox and will be visiting Mykonos late in August. Can you tell me how far it was from the Tender drop off to pick up the Tour Bus. I've looked at this excursion and it says that you might have to walk up to 1/2 mile to reach the bus which puts me off a bit. Would be interested to know how busy the beach was - there a number of ships in Port the day we are in Mykonos.

One other question, how willing were the Luminae staff to get you things from the main dining room menu? I've looked at the 14 menus that somebody very kindly posted and there are a good 3 or 4 days when I don't care for anything listed. I know we will have 2 free Speciality dining meals, so I may well make our bookings for those nights. We particularly like the Prime Rib, which we don't get in the UK, and I didn't see this listed on any of the Luminae menus.

Glad you had a great time. Sue

Edited by Suite Susie

We just got off Monday and agree Luminae was exceptional. Any night there you can choose from either the Luminae menu OR anything from the MDR menu. DH loves prime rib as well and had it the night it was served in the MDR. You may need to ask for the menu but no big deal and no slower service. We loved it.

Hi. Part of NYR fan's group on several tours. Wonderful time on all tours. We really enjoyed the Reflection- great ship and staff! We also ate in Luminae. Absolutely terrific staff and the service was outstanding! Enjoyed several dishes but also at times, we found nothing to our liking and they always offered the MDR menu. We were able to choose anything we wanted so all worked put very well.

Enjoy your cruise!

One other question, how willing were the Luminae staff to get you things from the main dining room menu? I've looked at the 14 menus that somebody very kindly posted and there are a good 3 or 4 days when I don't care for anything listed. I know we will have 2 free Speciality dining meals, so I may well make our bookings for those nights. We particularly like the Prime Rib, which we don't get in the UK, and I didn't see this listed on any of the Luminae menus.

Glad you had a great time. Sue

I was using the search function to try and find the Luminae menus, but seem to be missing them. Any hint as to where you found the menus posted?? Thanks for your help.

Nice review that brings back memories. ;) Do you have photos to share?

If you have never been to Rome before, do an organized tour with a guide. There was endless harassment by people selling "selfie sticks" in the streets - ugh.

Beats the umbrella's and light-up twirly things (that you throw in the air) being sold from the last few visits we have had to the Med.:D:rolleyes: We found that if we bought the things, and showed them when we saw others approaching, that they left us alone. The umbrellas's actually came in handy on a few cruises because we would always forget to take them from our stateroom. I bet we bought 3-4 umbrella's on one cruise. They made great walking sticks, too.

PS - How much are the Selfie Sticks selling for?

Edited by Iamthesea

I was using the search function to try and find the Luminae menus, but seem to be missing them. Any hint as to where you found the menus posted?? Thanks for your help.

I think it was in a post by Project gal on May 18th entitled "not the Millenium Transpacific Review - Luminae, Suite Class etc". If this isn't the right post let me know as I saved them all into a word doc. Sue

Thanks all for your kind words.

Hi Vicky!! You really thought the food in Luminae was that bad? We thought it wasn't the best, but given the lovely atmosphere, the great attention and ability to order whatever we basically wanted, it was a win-win for us.

Suite Susie -- we were docked. We had the ONLY dock that day; other ships had to tender. I heard it varies from day to day which ship gets the dock. On our previous visit, we were tendered. So, maybe someone else has a good answer to your question re distance to the bus. The tour was short and sweet. The beach was not crowded.

Iamthesea -- no idea the cost of the selfie sticks; we had to shoo these guys away constantly; very annoying; like bugs lol.

NYR, no did not mean to give wrong impression about Luminae. Loved being there and agreed that being to order off MDR menu certainly made it a win win. Just a few evenings when the entrees did not appeal and appreciated the flexibility. The staff was so accommodating!

Fabulous review, very detailed and helpful! We are doing this cruise on 20th July so I've picked up some great tips, thanks!

ote=NYR Fan;46802311]This was our second Eastern Mediterranean cruise, however, the first one was only a week and this was 12 days -- a big difference; great balance between sea days and tour days. Since we had already been to Rome, we arrived one day prior and took the Hop On/Hop Off, red bus, 20 Euros per person for 24 hours; excellent value. After a long flight, we just wanted to see some of the highlights, ride around for a while, eat some good food (which we did) and have some gelato (which we did too). If you have never been to Rome before, do an organized tour with a guide. There was endless harassment by people selling "selfie sticks" in the streets - ugh.

Boarded our beautiful ship around 1pm without any problem. Toured the ship, checked out our stateroom, then went for lunch. Since we upgraded to a Sky Suite, we were able to have most of our meals in the new Luminae. I can't say enough as to how beautiful a venue and how helpful and caring are the staff; what a bonus. The menu is quite limited, but you can always ask for something from the MDR. Emma was our waitress most nights -- what a delightful person.

Santorini - took "Island of Santorini and Village of Oia" excursion via Celebrity $76.75pp; gave us sufficient time to explore on our own to pick up some small gifts to bring home then have lunch on our own; went with another couple from our "group" (which consisted of a total of 4 couples who met here on Cruise Critic and booked several excursions together) to a recommended restaurant -- Naoussa in Fira, fresh food, inexpensive, good service (www.naoussa-restaurant.com). Some people say it's easy to do Santorini on your own by taking the cable up and then the local bus, but we decided to hop on with Celebrity. The Celebrity bus picked us up right next to the port, the bus winded it's way up around the mountain (a little scary for those who are squeemish). We had a lovely guide who pointed out some of the highlights. At the end, we were dropped off near town where we went for lunch and shopped. Our tour included a ticket for the the tram down at the end of the day; we didn't want to walk the path with all the donkey poo.

Istanbul - Took "Private Ephesus & Istanbul Tours" with our "group of 8" -- was total of 320 Euros, admission fees were extra 20 Euros per person; our tour guide was Hatica (6.5 hours of non-stop walking)!!!!! but the cost did include delicious, complimentary lunch. Went to Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi and Hippodrome, as well as the Grand Bazaar. I didn't like the Grand Bazaar here; very crowded, smelly and overwhelming -- check out some prices it you plan to buy, but wait for Ephesus; nicer Bazaar. We never went to the Spice Market, so can't comment. Bring scarf and socks so you're not walking barefoot when you go into the mosque. Even though we had the next morning in Istanbul, we were too exhausted to go out, so we lounged by the pool.

Ephesus/Kusadasi - "Private Ephesus & Istanbul Tours" (www.ephesusporttours.com) with our "group" -- was total of 320 Euros for 8 people; admission fees were 10 Euros extra per person; our tour guide was Pinar; also included complimentary lunch outdoors in a garden at Ephesus Restaurant; very nice. The Grand Bazaar in this town is MUCH better here for shopping than Istanbul. Do your homework ahead of time. You MUST bargain!!

Athens - we had a complimentary, private tour courtesy of our cruise agent. On our previous visit we had a comprehensive tour, which included going up to the Acropolis. There is now a new Acropolis Museum which has many interesting artifacts. Our day included a wonderful lunch at the Plaka after which we were on our own to shop, etc., then met the bus which took us back to the ship.

Naples - we had previously gone to Capri (there is a ferry right next to the ship's port; very easy to do on your own); so this time we went with our "group" to Pompeii, Sorrento & Positano via APTours.it; our guide was Arturo; complimentary, delicious lunch was included at La Basilica (www.ristorantelabasilica.com). Some good shopping for goodies around the corner from the restaurant. I would LOVE to come back and spend more time along the Amalfi Coast.

IMPORTANT: take paper toilet seat covers (from public bathrooms on the ship) and/or toilet paper when going out on tours