Newbie with Solo-Special Deals Questions

GuitarGuy87

Hello, Cruise Critic world! I am a new member to the site, and have traveled with Holland America twice (my only two cruises). It just so happens they have an awesome 18-day Voyage of the Vikings cruise that starts July 25th. This cruise is my most ideal cruise! However, my friends are giving me two reasons not to go; time and money.

I am a 28 year old college professor who has the summer off (it's my first summer off ever). I am able to book a cruise last-minute. You can imagine why I'd want to find some sort of special - booking for one person is ridiculously expensive! I "get it" - but, it feels like a little ~too~ much.

Here's the question: What is your experience with Holland America's last-minute bookings? Do they drop in price significantly around X amount of days before the cruise? Do they not budge at all? Do you think bargaining with some agent would be of any help, saying "If I book right now I'll be willing to pay ______."?

Any help regarding this is much appreciated!!!

Hello, Cruise Critic world! I am a new member to the site, and have traveled with Holland America twice (my only two cruises). It just so happens they have an awesome 18-day Voyage of the Vikings cruise that starts July 25th. This cruise is my most ideal cruise! However, my friends are giving me two reasons not to go; time and money.

I am a 28 year old college professor who has the summer off (it's my first summer off ever). I am able to book a cruise last-minute. You can imagine why I'd want to find some sort of special - booking for one person is ridiculously expensive! I "get it" - but, it feels like a little ~too~ much.

Here's the question: What is your experience with Holland America's last-minute bookings? Do they drop in price significantly around X amount of days before the cruise? Do they not budge at all? Do you think bargaining with some agent would be of any help, saying "If I book right now I'll be willing to pay ______."?

Any help regarding this is much appreciated!!!

To start off with, welcome to Cruise Critic! It is a valuable source of cruise info with mostly polite posters :).

The major cruise lines all seem to have taken a page from the airlines' playbook and are using some sort of yield management algorithm. If you watch fares on HAL's website closely, you will find that fares can either drop or increase as a sail date draws near, depending on how the cruise is selling.

You may also find that, as a solo, single supplements can vary along the way, too. In other words, a fare may drop, but the supplement can increase. Or vice versa. You can do a "mock booking" on HAL's site to determine this. Be sure to enter your Mariner # in case there is a past-cruiser discount on the cruise you are considering.

Since you are time-restricted, and have a particular cruise in mind, I personally would book now the least expensive cabin that you feel you would be happy with and can afford. You are then assured a place on the cruise in case it sells out or has a price jump later on. Then check (some even do this daily!) HAL's website for fare drops. If they are before final payment (and sometimes even after) you can request a refund or use the difference to upgrade your cabin if you prefer. Some fare reductions are good for "new bookings only", but it doesn't hurt to ask. In some cases, it pays to cancel and rebook at that point, but check first for any penalty fees involved. Also beware that you may have to change cabins in the process. It does get a bit complicated if you want to snag the best fare, unfortunately.

I have never heard of a major cruise line negotiating fares directly with a passenger, but some travel agents may be willing to give up a portion of their commission to get your business. Some TAs will add "booking" and other fees to make up for it, though, so watch out for that. I prefer to book directly since I have quite a few cruises under my belt, but many here on CC will swear by their TAs.

A couple more things to consider about your cruise; unless you have frequent-flier miles to use, airfares will be a factor. If you take your chances on booking at the last minute to get a deal on the cruise fare, you may have to pay top-dollar for your airline ticket. Also be sure to check CC for threads about travel insurance if you are not familiar with it. Even a young person can have an accident or illness on vacation, and many US health insurers will not cover out-of-country claims or repatriation.

Oh, before someone else mentions it, it is recommended to arrive at least a day early at your embarkation port if you are able to. If you can't, then make sure you buy your air through the cruise line (check with them on this) or have a travel insurance policy that will fly you to the next port if you miss your sailing.

Hope this helps!

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The Voyage of the Vikings is a very popular itinerary so don't expect any bargains.

Are you going solo? Prices will be double for you.

As previous poster mentioned -- check air fares -- buy insurance.

I agree with KK. Normally hal gives away the farm near the end, but this cruise is a popular one. I doubt that you'll find great deals on it.

Welcome to cruise critic.

I believe you are now within final payment for this one. Any deal may be in progress until they fill. If you choose to watch prices check several categories as the single supplement may vary ( as well as price changes).

Doesn't HAL offer some kind of a program where you sign up, they try and match single travelers together, then if they don't get a match for you, you get the room at the double occupancy rate? Or am I thinking of a different cruise line?

Doesn't HAL offer some kind of a program where you sign up, they try and match single travelers together, then if they don't get a match for you, you get the room at the double occupancy rate? Or am I thinking of a different cruise line?

They used to. It's been reported that sometimes it's cheaper to get your own room because only certain categories are available for it. The op may want to call hal.

They do. It's called the single partners program. Just do an Internet search for that term plus Holland America and you should find what you're looking for.

I've discovered that the single supplement can be as low as 60%; i.e., you pay one full fare and 60% of the second fare. I've found this through trial and error plugging data into the HAL website. I found two b2b cruises at this rate but only for O/V. The balcony cost would have called for paying two full fares.

I've discovered that the single supplement can be as low as 60%; i.e., you pay one full fare and 60% of the second fare. I've found this through trial and error plugging data into the HAL website. I found two b2b cruises at this rate but only for O/V. The balcony cost would have called for paying two full fares.

There have been more cruises lately with lower single sups but not after final payment. Is the cruise you're looking at before final i.e. More than 75 days out?

I used the Single Share program in 2013. There is still a single supplement applied. It was K or better for insides. I don't recall the balcony category but it was mid range. For the trip I chose the single share fare carried a 75% single supplement and a chance for a potluck roommate (not the published double occupancy rate for both people sharing). I priced out another cruise (same itinerary) and the difference between single occupancy with the single supplement and doing a Single Share option was only $60 for the 3 week cruise.:eek:

I used the Single Share program in 2013. There is still a single supplement applied. It was K or better for insides. I don't recall the balcony category but it was mid range. For the trip I chose the single share fare carried a 75% single supplement and a chance for a potluck roommate (not the published double occupancy rate for both people sharing). I priced out another cruise (same itinerary) and the difference between single occupancy with the single supplement and doing a Single Share option was only $60 for the 3 week cruise.:eek:

That is really terrible.