Carnival Vista - 3 day CTN CANCELLED

landlady1952

There will be nothing from CBP because it is nothing new. Cruises to nowhere were confirmed to be a violation of INA section 101(a)(15)(D)(i) in 2014. The judge ruled that foreign crew member are not authorized to be employed in the connection with domestic movements of a vessel. It seems CBP has pushed the ruling out nationwide but it is the regulation that should have been followed all along and the cruise lines were circumventing it. ” Cruises to nowhere from U.S. ports are legal under the INA and applicable regulations only if the crew consists of USCs or LPRs. So it is nothing new, just being battled in court.

It really was wrong for Carnival to sell bookings to us (yes me too) when they were in violation of Immigration laws.

Both CBP and the cruise lines were looking at the PVSA which specifically exempted CTN's from being "coastwise", so they both felt they could be done with foreign vessels and foreign crew. When the Bimini case came up in 2013, it was over a decision by CBP that now brought in the visa requirements. At that time, CBP was requiring that cruise lines apply for an exemption whenever they scheduled a CTN. I think that a combination of Bimini continuing to fight the decision, and Carnival's move towards more CTN's on a regular basis led to the decision to disallow any further exemptions. I don't believe it was any wrong doing on the part of the cruise lines, just a review of the letter of the law, or a reinterpretation of the law by a new CBP head, that had CBP change their regulations. Believe me, as closely as CBP watches the PVSA violations, they were knowingly allowing the CTN's, it wasn't the cruise lines willfully violating the law.

This is not good for us the consumer and the cruise lines. I have been on 1/2 dozen CTN and they are a blast and total money makers for the cruise line. They are always sold out and cost more per day that's the average cruise. I will miss the unlimited purchasing of cigarettes and alcohol - these savings always paid for the cruise!

Does anyone know if this will affect any of Vista's other cruises? We're booked on her 13 day transatlantic from Barcelona to New York (sailing October 21st, 2016) and I'd be a little upset if it changed (although, if they made it a few days longer which might happen since it was right before the CTN) and really upset/angry if it was cancelled!! :(

Does anyone know if this will affect any of Vista's other cruises? We're booked on her 13 day transatlantic from Barcelona to New York (sailing October 21st, 2016) and I'd be a little upset if it changed (although, if they made it a few days longer which might happen since it was right before the CTN) and really upset/angry if it was cancelled!! :(

I considering that TA but I really doubt they would extend it as shareholder credit would be increased an extra $150 per cabin!

I think the ship will sail empty to Florida after getting to NYC

Originally it was announced the repo will be extended. It looks like its now an 11 day Carribean trip starting in NYC and ending in Miami (not sure of the original itin)

http://www.carnival.com/itinerary/11-day-southern-caribbean-cruise/new-york/vista/11-days/js0/?evsel=J&numGuests=2&destination=all-destinations&dest=any&datFrom=052016&datTo=112016&shipCode=VS

Doesn't make sense. The TA leaves Barcelona 10/22 and debarks in NYC on the 4th or 5th. What's happening the next week and a half?!!!

The TA leaves Barcelona on 10/21 and arrives in NYC 11/3. There's an 11 day RT Journey cruise out of NYC on 11/5. When it comes back on 11/16 (I think) there's a 11 day journey repo cruise that ends up in Miami.

The TA leaves Barcelona on 10/21 and arrives in NYC 11/3. There's an 11 day RT Journey cruise out of NYC on 11/5. When it comes back on 11/16 (I think) there's a 11 day journey repo cruise that ends up in Miami.

Oops don't know how I missed that!

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting note - just got word from my TA that another cruise line asked for and got permission to actually execute CTNs already on schedule, just could not book any new ones.

I wonder if Carnival jumped reschedule too soon, and if so would they reset again to reschedule? I have not seen a deposit refund yet that I noticed.

Interesting note - just got word from my TA that another cruise line asked for and got permission to actually execute CTNs already on schedule, just could not book any new ones.

I wonder if Carnival jumped reschedule too soon, and if so would they reset again to reschedule? I have not seen a deposit refund yet that I noticed.

That is interesting. What cruise line?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I am deliberately NOT mentioning it here, under the concept of too much attention may cause them to have to change.. That said, checking NYC area departures for short cruises involving brand new ships should give an idea...

That is interesting. What cruise line?

• 2 weeks later...

I wish also Carnival did not cancel our cruise

I wish they would of tried harder to make it work like someone else did.

I wonder what they will be doing with Carnival Vista while the ship docked in NY from Nov 3 to Nov 5

The ship comes into NY on Nov 3 from Transatlantic cruise and then leaves for Caribbean cruise on Nov 5. So the ship will be sitting in the docks from Thurs to Sat.

It would be nice if they send us all an email for those who were originally booked on 3 day CTN cruise and allow us to board the ship on Nov 3 to Nov 5 and the ship does not leave docks

I would not care if ship does not move as long as I was on it

Only dreaming I know

I also have not seen a refund from Carnival on the 3 day CTN cancellation cruise yet also.

Um I wonder why.

I wish also Carnival did not cancel our cruise

I wish they would of tried harder to make it work like someone else did.

I wonder what they will be doing with Carnival Vista while the ship docked in NY from Nov 3 to Nov 5

The ship comes into NY on Nov 3 from Transatlantic cruise and then leaves for Caribbean cruise on Nov 5. So the ship will be sitting in the docks from Thurs to Sat.

It would be nice if they send us all an email for those who were originally booked on 3 day CTN cruise and allow us to board the ship on Nov 3 to Nov 5 and the ship does not leave docks

I would not care if ship does not move as long as I was on it

Only dreaming I know

I also have not seen a refund from Carnival on the 3 day CTN cancellation cruise yet also.

Um I wonder why.

I had to call and ask for my refund to be processed. My PVP was no help, and I would never use him again. Some of my payments had been made using a gift card. Haven't gotten that yet. Every time I call? I get a different story. Obviously Carnival could have kept this CTN if they had tried harder.

Have not seen our refund yet, but we only had deposit in so will let the TA handle it when they have time...

Honestly, most companies don't think to challenge the feds on stuff like this. I am far more surprised that the other line even tried.

I had to call and ask for my refund to be processed. My PVP was no help, and I would never use him again. Some of my payments had been made using a gift card. Haven't gotten that yet. Every time I call? I get a different story. Obviously Carnival could have kept this CTN if they had tried harder.

• 2 weeks later...

We also had to call and get our refunds processed--I think they were hoping we'd rebook the longer cruises.

On a related note, I'm pretty sure the company that is still doing the "CTN" is getting away with it because they are cruising to Halifax, stopping long enough for it to count as a foreign port and high-tailing it back to NYC. I'm trying to find a primary source document to back that one up.

Nope. Just checked the itinerary. Still a CTN. If they are going there they have not mentioned it.

We also had to call and get our refunds processed--I think they were hoping we'd rebook the longer cruises.

On a related note, I'm pretty sure the company that is still doing the "CTN" is getting away with it because they are cruising to Halifax, stopping long enough for it to count as a foreign port and high-tailing it back to NYC. I'm trying to find a primary source document to back that one up.

Nope. Just checked the itinerary. Still a CTN. If they are going there they have not mentioned it.

Since they won't allow anyone to get off the ship in Halifax, it

will never be listed in the itinerary.

Edited by DaytonCruiser

Not sure that would count as a port stop for purposes of the rule, but it is an interesting solution. We'll know next year.

Since they won't allow anyone to get off the ship in Halifax, it

will never be listed in the itinerary.

RCI says it counts and that is their current plan. It seems Breakaway also had a CTN planned and they are also doing something similar.

"Just got off the phone with the Executive Office in Miami who responded to an email I had sent to Michael Bayley's email. The cruise is going off as a 3 night cruise, it won't be extended. They have received approval to "stop by" Halifax sometime in the middle of the night to meet the foreign port requirement. So we are in fact heading north - in March - dress warm.

They said that the itinerary will not be changed to reflect Halifax so we won't see anything on our reservations etc. that indicate the change."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46862114&postcount=409

http://www.cruisehive.com/no-more-cruises-to-nowhere-starting-from-2016/7115

Edited by Carnival_Brides

Okay, that makes sense.. Although given the temps probably should say something.

RCI says it counts and that is their current plan. It seems Breakaway also had a CTN planned and they are also doing something similar.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46862114&postcount=409

http://www.cruisehive.com/no-more-cruises-to-nowhere-starting-from-2016/7115

Thanks. Very interesting. Can't wait to see if Anthem's 3 day for March 2016 gets cancelled. If this Vista cancellation is part of some new rule then it certainly would be cancelled.

Anthem is not cancelled - sailing up north and making stop at Halifax