Norway Itinerary/Ship Help PLEASE!! 2016

globltravlr

Hi everyone!! I am trying to book my "dream cruise"... to Norway and am feeling a little more than stuck choosing. I would appreciate help from someone who knows the area/has experience here. We have the following constraints. We are teachers and can only travel between June 26th-Aug. 23rd, and we are on a budget for the cruise fare of around $7,000 so no luxury lines.

I saw a picture of Lofoton Islands in 2011 at an art show and decided one day, I would go there, which is how this all started. We were booked on the Norwegian Star to leave tomorrow actually, but life got in the way, so next year it is.

We are currently considering HAL July 17th ms Konnigsdam out of Amsterdam vs. Aug 6th Emerald Princess out of London. Sorry for the long post, but here are my thoughts:

~HAL is a brand new ship- very cool!

~HAL is 5 sea days vs. 4 on Princess - we like port intensive itineraries)

~We have been to London (Princess) but not to Amsterdam (HAL) (we would love to see Amsterdam)

~HAL is advertising Scenic cruising on 4 fjords after being in port while Princess is not, but we don't know if Princess will be travelling on the fjords anyway because we haven't done this before. Does anyone know about this?

~The ports are the same with the exception of HAL goes to Eidfjord, Princess to Lofoton (which is why I wanted to go to begin with) and Princess visits Tromso while HAL has an extra sea day, HAL goes to Geirianger and Princess to Bergen. If the other ports compare with Lofoton then we don't HAVE to go there...

~We also read it is worthwhile missing the North Cape and just doing a few Norway ports to see Iceland. Is this true? I thought it was cool to go to the North Cape?

This is not supposed to be so hard!! lol

I would so appreciate input so we can book soon!!

Having looked at the Hurtegruten site, IMO, this would be the best and most enjoyable way to explore this area. They have locally sourced traditional Norwegian foods - so much better! I've done river cruises on similar sized vessels and they were similar in how they worked. With so few guests onboard, you will make many new friends and have the time of your life! Yes, I agree that would be the best way to go! Waaaaaaaaaaay better than a HAL or Princess cruise. Do yourself a favor and look at the Hurtegruten site. You'll be glad you did!

I don't think that a Princess or HAL cruise would even come close to the incredible adventure you would have on Hurtegruten!

HAL out of Amsterdam would work with your budget

With Hurtigruten check the times in port some are just there long enough to drop off passenger/goods

it is more like a ferry service on some of the ships

read the fine print & choose carefully

JMO

Having looked at the Hurtegruten site, IMO, this would be the best and most enjoyable way to explore this area. They have locally sourced traditional Norwegian foods - so much better! I've done river cruises on similar sized vessels and they were similar in how they worked. With so few guests onboard, you will make many new friends and have the time of your life! Yes, I agree that would be the best way to go! Waaaaaaaaaaay better than a HAL or Princess cruise. Do yourself a favor and look at the Hurtegruten site. You'll be glad you did!

I don't think that a Princess or HAL cruise would even come close to the incredible adventure you would have on Hurtegruten!

I am not sure I would say "way better" but certainly different. I only suggested Hurtigruten because I think it covers more ports and areas that the OP wanted to see.

To OP: I ran across this line while researching cruises Antarctica, and someone recommended MS Fram, which is a beautiful ship. I was also looking at Lindblad for an Alaska cruise. These are a different type of cruise, but then again I just booked Harmony of the Seas for next year because it is brand new ship :).

I am not sure I would say "way better" but certainly different. I only suggested Hurtigruten because I think it covers more ports and areas that the OP wanted to see.

To OP: I ran across this line while researching cruises Antarctica, and someone recommended MS Fram, which is a beautiful ship. I was also looking at Lindblad for an Alaska cruise. These are a different type of cruise, but then again I just booked Harmony of the Seas for next year because it is brand new ship :).

I say way better because it is a smaller ship with fewer passengers serving food from the area you are traveling in AND with unique shore excursions you probably would not see on the larger ships. It's more of a true Norwegian experience as opposed to the homogenized Americanized or British type experience you would get on the larger cruise lines where none of the food is from the area. I've done small ship cruising and it is outstanding! Definitely worth considering.