Excursions

beverid

We are taking our first cruise on Ventura on 30/8 and we have been looking at excursions. The travel agent was pushing using Cruising Excursions instead of P&O. Any views would be appreciated.

Edited by beverid

OK, well Barcelona you are moored right at the bottom of the main streets. There is also a Hop on Hop off bus, and of course there will be ship excursions. Rome, you probably want to do a ship tour. Gibraltar, definitely not necessary, walk into town, go up the rock, see the apes etc.

I'm sure others will come in with suggestions.

Actually I would say do a tour in Gibraltar. I've done two and they were an absolute hoot. The guides were such characters they really made the tour great fun.

Rome you are best to go on a P&O tour I feel. It's a long journey and delays can occur, the ship will wait for you on a P&O tour but not others.

If available I can recommend the "shuttle and Roma Train " for Rome. Basically this gets you to Rome, and back in comfort. But when there you are free to do your own thing. It isn't a cheap option but in my opinion is really worth it , especially for a first time cruiser. The guide on the train will recommend places to go and how to get there. We had about 7 hours in Rome which gave ius plenty of time to see what we wanted to see - you simply cannot see everything in a day.we did this trip in May and were really happy with it.

Others will recommend getting the train yourself but you have always. got the worry of getting back in time, train strikes and the rest. Rome is at least an hour away from where you dock.

Vigo, Barcelona and Monaco you can do on your own- but it does depend on what you want to see. Friends of ours did the Gauidi tour in Barcelona and were pleased with it. Unless you want to go to Santiago de Compostela, (in which case do an excursion) do Vigo on your own which is easy to do. Monaco is very much dependant on your personal choices and whether you are going in by tender or not. Gib is easy to do on your own - just pick up a Rock tour from a local firm when you get off. Or walk up Main Street and shop till you drop!

Can't help on Florence or Pisa I'm afraid as haven't been there.

Have a great time!

Hope that is helpful.

Edited by Mysticalmother

Ive just come off the Ventura today from our first ever cruise (around the Med). I shall be writing a full review soon so look out for it, I shall include info on the excursions we did.

I spoke to other passengers who had done 3 excursions with Cruise/Cruising Excursions and they were extremely happy with them. They said they were cheaper than P&Os excursions and had a deal if you purchased 3 excursions. I think they said they had their own channel on Sky where you can book them, channel 256???? Just make sure they guarantee getting you back to the ship on time!

Edited by Big Stevie

I was nervous about doing Barcelona DIY, especially having children in tow, but we did it 2 years ago and it was brilliant. Following advice on CC we booked tickets in advance for Sagrada Famiglia and missed the queues - in fact we were about the last people let in, at 10 am, when they closed the gates for 3 hours because the cathedral area was full. Found an excellent website that gave advice on using the public transport, right down to the way the Metro gates work.

I know you're not calling at Lisbon, but I also did that DIY on my own with the children, because DH was unwell, and it was a doddle. I booked a private tour on Gib because it was somewhere DH had always wanted to go and I wanted us to get the most out of it. It was fabulous value (almost an extra hour to the advertised duration at no extra charge), the guide was wonderful, would highly recommend, it was the highlight of DH and DS's cruise. Can let you have his contact details if you like. He got us back to port in plenty of time for departure.

If you want to go to Florence I think an excursion is safer - it is possible to do by train but involves a change and like Rome you are a bit distant from the port if anything goes wrong. We find we like the 'Florence on Your Own' ship's transfer. Comes with all the security of knowing you will get back OK (provided you make the rendezvous point at the appointed time) but gives you the freedom to explore the city at your own pace and spending time at the sights which are of interest to you rather than being governed by an excursion itinerary and a large group of people in tow. Florence is a very compact and easily navigable city to explore on your own. Just take careful note of the route into town from the drop off point as the coaches don't go right into the centre.

However a DiY trip to Pisa is very doable on your own - it's only about 15/20 minutes away with fairly frequent service so with a prompt start you can spend several hours in Pisa and still be back in Livorno by early afternoon. (I can post some more info on DiY for Pisa if you are interested.)

More recently after several DiY excursions into Rome on the train and a few unnerving experiences we have also done the ship's 'Rome on Your Own' transfer here too. We get at least two more hours in the city as we were finding we were setting off back for Civitavecchia by about 2.30 to allow a big margin 'just in case'. It became worth the extra cost for having more time in Rome and less anxiety!

Just to clarify, for those that haven't been to Rome lately with P & O, there are the two options now which are effectively Rome on your own. There is the coach transfer, "Rome on your own" or the "Shuttle and Roma train" . Probably down to personal choice but you get more time in Rome with the train option, and IMHO is way more comfortable!

Hi I've been lurking on these boards for a couple of months but this is my first post :)

We are on the same cruise as you, and like you it is our first cruise!

The answers you've had to your question are very helpful as we have already decided to do the Rome by train P&O excusion, to take their transport to Florence (a city we have visited before) and apart from that we plan on doing our own thing in the other ports of call. Having said that we are contemplating the white water rafting in Vigo!

I'll be reading any further replies with interest.

Astrid

Edited by AstyPasty

We are going on a P and O cruise in a couple of weeks time. We have something arranged for every port of call, but not one through the ship. We also try to avoid the overpriced ship excursions too. Plus a couple of our trips this time are with another 2 couples we met on the CC Roll Call. We have exchanged lots of emails and feels like we already know them.

To the OP I would say, whatever you do don't use CruisingExcursions. There are hundreds of complaints about them on Tripadvisor. They are only a booking agency. The reason your travel agent recommends them is because they get 16 per cent commission from them.

There is loads of information on CC and Tripadvisor it just needs some research. I find the research but of the fun, so good luck with that.

Avoid Cruising Excursions./ The agent is pushing them for their commission. Either book though P&O, book an excursion direct with the operator, or DIY. We do a mixture of all three, depending on the port, and where we want to go/what we want to see.

CE are just an agent, and a pretty ropey one if the Tripadvisor comments are to be believed.

Dear Beverid

If you are going to Vigo and La Coruna, you can get a private excursion a lot cheaper than P&O. It is running by the agency Hercules Tours. They are punctual and very professional. You can book your tickets in advance (15 euros) on www.herculestours.com. . Otherwise they are also at the Cruise Port arrival to offer their services. Check also Tripadvisor (Excellence award). I was very satisfied in both cities.

Kind regards

Hi everyone.

Of course you can get your own tour cheaper at the Port.

In La Coruna and Vigo we trusted in Hercules Tours and every city usually have this sort of tours. We had decided not to book the P&O tour as it seemed expensive and intended to walk around ourselves. We were approached by a representative from Hercules Tours who explained the tour would take 2 hours by coach and would stop at the main places of interest and the cost was 15 Euros per person.

We were so glad we decided to go with Hercules Tours - the guide was informative, friendly and helpful - the bus was comfortable and spacious - the tour itself was excellent.

In Barcelona, you are a good distance out and will require a shuttle bus unless you like a good walk.

P&O usually run a shuttle (free for Select passengers, chargeable for Saver passengers?) to right by the Colombus Monument, so you are couple of minutes walk from the bottom of Las Ramblas and a Metro stop, a short walk from Port Vell and a short walk to the medieval old cathedral quarter and covered market off Las Ramblas.

Dear Beverid

If you are going to Vigo and La Coruna, you can get a private excursion a lot cheaper than P&O. It is running by the agency Hercules Tours. They are punctual and very professional. You can book your tickets in advance (15 euros) on http://www.herculestours.com. . Otherwise they are also at the Cruise Port arrival to offer their services. Check also Tripadvisor (Excellence award). I was very satisfied in both cities.

Kind regards

I went with Hercules Tours in Vigo. Very nice excursion. Highly recommended.

15 euros instead 40 euros on the boat. They work also in La Coruna.

Greetings