Welcome aboard party

Victoria '82

Just returned from another fabulous cruise on Ventura. Noticed that no invitations were distributed for the Captain's welcome aboard party, only a mention in the Horizon paper. Thing is that the number of pax attending were at least half that as when the invitation was sent out, I guess many newcomers were unaware of the event! I thought on our previous cruise in March that there had been an oversight, but clearly not. Also noticed that there was no video showing at the photographers area of the bash this time. Frankly I don't mind a smaller gathering as it is easier to claim a drink:) but wonder if this is an event that will disappear in time as a cost saver - bit like the senior officer parties - shame. Perhaps it's just on Ventura though. Folks, what's the experience on the other P&O ships?

Hello, I've just got back from Azura and we had an invitation in our cabin for ours. I noticed in the Horizon it was actually on twice so I think they spread the invites out half and half (I think it was 6.15 and 8.15)

Hello, I've just got back from Azura and we had an invitation in our cabin for ours. I noticed in the Horizon it was actually on twice so I think they spread the invites out half and half (I think it was 6.15 and 8.15)

Same her on Oceana in April - we still got a personal invite. :)

Yes we were on the azura and had an invitation in our cabin but for 17:45 meeting the captain but sneak off 5 min early to beat the queue for freedom dining [emoji6]

No such invites for us first timers on Ventura. I thought the Captain visiting the kids club would be a great idea and a memory that would stay with the kids forever, maybe even gaining future new cruisers in years to come.

What tier do you have to be to qualify for an invite?

The Captains welcome party is for everyone. Fist time cruisers and old lags like us. The peninsular party is for higher tier members. But this only happens on a cruise of more than 7 nights.

As the party with the Captain is in the Atrium no point in having an invite as you have no where to hand it in. Naughty people go to both.

Ahh, yes I did see the Captains talk in the atrium. We only realised about it as we were walking through the atrium whilst lost, and were handed a complimentary drink (or two). We listened for a short while but quickly lost interest and wandered off to get lost on a different deck.

As the party with the Captain is in the Atrium no point in having an invite as you have no where to hand it in. Naughty people go to both.

I think there is a point to the invitation as it lets ALL passengers new and old know there is a party going on. Take the case of Big Stevie (by the way, great first cruise review), he's a new cruiser and had no idea that the Welcome Party existed, or why! so passed through the throng taking a drink or two with him - an invitation might well have said to him and others new to cruising with P&O, here is an occasion to attend. Thing is it must be very easy to miss out on an event when only listed in the Horizon paper, especially on the second day out.

It is interesting to see from comments that Ventura seems to be the only ship dropping the invite - perhaps testing the water as to eventually dropping it altogether throughout the fleet, which would be a shame as it is an opportunity to see who the senior officers are.

-----------------------

111 P&O cruises - 12 in the pipeline

I think there is a point to the invitation as it lets ALL passengers new and old know there is a party going on. Take the case of Big Stevie (by the way' date=' great first cruise review), he's a new cruiser and had no idea that the Welcome Party existed, or why! so passed through the throng taking a drink or two with him - an invitation might well have said to him and others new to cruising with P&O, here is an occasion to attend. Thing is it must be very easy to miss out on an event when only listed in the Horizon paper, especially on the second day out.

It is interesting to see from comments that Ventura seems to be the only ship dropping the invite - perhaps testing the water as to eventually dropping it altogether throughout the fleet, which would be a shame as it is an opportunity to see who the senior officers are.

-----------------------

111 P&O cruises - 12 in the pipeline[/quote']

I fully agree with you Victoria. Even the Horizon newsletter highlighting the following days schedule isn't available until around 10pm. Surely most of the events are planned well in advance and so could be advertised to passengers right from the beginning of the cruise, with maybe a nightly newsletter with any additions?

I think there is a point to the invitation as it lets ALL passengers new and old know there is a party going on. Take the case of Big Stevie (by the way' date=' great first cruise review), he's a new cruiser and had no idea that the Welcome Party existed, or why! so passed through the throng taking a drink or two with him - an invitation might well have said to him and others new to cruising with P&O, here is an occasion to attend. Thing is it must be very easy to miss out on an event when only listed in the Horizon paper, especially on the second day out.

-----------------------

111 P&O cruises - 12 in the pipeline[/quote']

I only put that forward as a possible reason for it not happening. I did not say it was right or wrong.

Perhaps the change has something to do with freedom dining. The invite can not now have a time on for the freedom diners as they have a choice. Of course there are more freedom that club on certain ships. It is much easier to organise with set dining.

What tier do you have to be to qualify for an invite?

Just turning up we think, as we certainly haven't done enough cruises with P&O to warrant anything else.

We just had a card in the cabin as an invite. Its nothing special - just the Captain's Welcome 'do' where everyone gets a glass of wine and wait around for the Captain to welcome everyone onboard.

I only put that forward as a possible reason for it not happening. I did not say it was right or wrong.

Perhaps the change has something to do with freedom dining. The invite can not now have a time on for the freedom diners as they have a choice. Of course there are more freedom that club on certain ships. It is much easier to organise with set dining.

We were on Freedom Dining and given an invite to the 6.15pm event --- we ignored it to be honest as that was too early for us.