Teens on Summit?

CTnewcruiser

We are considering booking a last minute Bermuda trip on the Summit with kids 12 and 16, but some of the reviews I've read have me worried that they'll be bored. We've done Carnival and Disney and both times they've really enjoyed the clubs - we pretty much turned them loose during the day. Will there be enough for them to do? Any advice is appreciated!

If they've already done Carnival and Disney, they WILL be disappointed on Summit. There is just no comparing this ship to what is offered on the other lines they have sailed. Sorry!

If it's Cape Liberty you wish to sail out of, I would recommend Royal's Quantum of the Seas, a huge brand-new ship with all the bells and whistles that would more than satisfy any tween.:D

We are considering booking a last minute Bermuda trip on the Summit with kids 12 and 16, but some of the reviews I've read have me worried that they'll be bored. We've done Carnival and Disney and both times they've really enjoyed the clubs - we pretty much turned them loose during the day. Will there be enough for them to do? Any advice is appreciated!

I will post when we get off next Sunday. I am taking two 16 year old guys. One has been on Royal's Freedom of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas and he loved both of them.

You know, a lot will depend on your young adults. I use the phrase young adults because they are past the age of children's menus and total adult supervision.

Excursion wise, if your boys are good swimmers they are guaranteed to be kept busy at any port. On board they are old enough to be beginning to enjoy new dining adventures, dressing for dinner and enjoying opportunities for more adult dinner conversations with you and others. They may not enjoy all the entertainment on board but neither do I!

Company on board may be more limited than they would meet on Carnival or RC but if they get on together they should be able to find things to do.

Presumably they will have electronic games/tablets....which will also occupy and fill quiet times as will films.

If you feel that young youngsters need others and organised activities to keep them going well you may be better with RCCL.

For quality family time and introducing young adults to a fuller cruise experience, however, I do not feel you will go far wrong with Celebrity.

If they've already done Carnival and Disney, they WILL be disappointed on Summit. There is just no comparing this ship to what is offered on the other lines they have sailed. Sorry!

If it's Cape Liberty you wish to sail out of, I would recommend Royal's Quantum of the Seas, a huge brand-new ship with all the bells and whistles that would more than satisfy any tween.:D

Also, if the OP is looking for an itinerary similar to Summit (but sailing out of NYC, the NCL Breakaway might be a consideration. When we were both docked in Bermuda, I couldn't help thinking that it looked like a floating amusement park -- lots of stuff for kids/teens to do.

We are taking our two daughters ages 16 & 12 on Summit 8/2. We did RCI Navigator last year. Ice skating, rock wall, Flow Rider, etc. were all tried multiple times. We really enjoyed the vacation. However, we did Solstice to Alaska the year before. The kids had a great time on it as well and were pushing for another Celebrity cruise this year over a return to RCI.

Three additional Points:

1) The older they get, the more they just roam around in a pack

2) Any 7-day summer cruise will have a load of kids on it

3) I worry less about them having fun, than me feeling that we are in an environment where my wife & I can actually have some fun with them, but do our own thing without freaking out about what sort of safe environment they are in.

We are taking our two daughters ages 16 & 12 on Summit 8/2. We did RCI Navigator last year. Ice skating, rock wall, Flow Rider, etc. were all tried multiple times. We really enjoyed the vacation. However, we did Solstice to Alaska the year before. The kids had a great time on it as well and were pushing for another Celebrity cruise this year over a return to RCI.

Three additional Points:

1) The older they get, the more they just roam around in a pack

2) Any 7-day summer cruise will have a load of kids on it

3) I worry less about them having fun, than me feeling that we are in an environment where my wife & I can actually have some fun with them, but do our own thing without freaking out about what sort of safe environment they are in.

AGree with your point #1, we took our kids from age 7 on Celebrity cruises on up to now that they are in their 30s. When kids get older they do like the perks but for the most part teens seem to gravitate to groups and hang out without supervised activities. I had one who only wanted to spend time in the groups and another who wanted to spend it on the ship with us.

Also, from experience be careful of posters on this board telling you to go somewhere else. They usually have not taken kids on a Celebrity cruise and have some other motive.

Celebrity Bermuda cruises will not have many kids until mid to late June as that is when most of the east coast gets out of school. We did Bermuda a week ago and there were probably about 30 kids on board.

Celebrity Bermuda cruises will not have many kids until mid to late June as that is when most of the east coast gets out of school. We did Bermuda a week ago and there were probably about 30 kids on board.

Don, we were on Summit the week before you, and I'd estimate the number of kids/teens onboard to be around that number -- maybe fewer. Of course, that's why we do that itinerary early or late in the season -- to avoid school holidays! ;)

Don, we were on Summit the week before you, and I'd estimate the number of kids/teens onboard to be around that number -- maybe fewer. Of course, that's why we do that itinerary early or late in the season -- to avoid school holidays! ;)

Same here, another good one to do without many kids is the last Bermuda cruise of the year which usually runs over Labor Day, probably more kids than we had but a lot less than other weeks. Schools in NY, NJ and Conn area go back usually a couple days after Labor Day. We used to take the kids on cruises when they were young to Bermuda in the summer and it was mobbed.

I was surprised also last week how many people I spoke to who really did not like the Breakaway, mostly food complaints, even the Specialties.

Edited by dkjretired

Same here, another good one to do without many kids is the last Bermuda cruise of the year which usually runs over Labor Day, probably more kids than we had but a lot less than other weeks. Schools in NY, NJ and Conn area go back usually a couple days after Labor Day. We used to take the kids on cruises when they were young to Bermuda in the summer and it was mobbed.

I was surprised also last week how many people I spoke to who really did not like the Breakaway, mostly food complaints, even the Specialties.

LOL Don -- great minds think alike! :D Our first Bermuda cruise was over Labor Day -- last cruise of the '14 season. We had front-row seats (Flannagan's Pub) for the year's last Harbor Nights, too! :cool:

We decided to try Memorial Day this time, hoping it wouldn't be so hot and humid. But, nobody was counting on gale force winds for the whole three days! We too ran into numerous folks in port, who had various complaints about Breakaway. I chalked it up to the fact that, between the wind-related cancellations and the limited transportation out of Dockyard, most folks (from both ships) were just on their last good nerve. :eek:

Ok, we are back. I took 2) 16 year old guys. At this point, we are back to Royal when traveling with teens. We had 300 on board (40 the week before) but the teen club was TINY!!! From talking to the guys/watching other teens around the ship, the club did not add anything to their experience. The things listed on the schedule did not happen & teen counselors were overwhelmed/crabby. They still enjoyed themselves but probably not as much if we had been on Royal.

Ok, we are back. I took 2) 16 year old guys. At this point, we are back to Royal when traveling with teens. We had 300 on board (40 the week before) but the teen club was TINY!!! From talking to the guys/watching other teens around the ship, the club did not add anything to their experience. The things listed on the schedule did not happen & teen counselors were overwhelmed/crabby. They still enjoyed themselves but probably not as much if we had been on Royal.

I hope this helps....I do not want to discourage you. It was still a great cruise but maybe easier if they (teens) know going in that it may not live up to prior club experiences....