Disturbance in the Gulf

dbug209

I'm curious how bad a depression would effect a ship rocking. I don't think it would very much, but my wife thinks it would. We are sailing out of Galveston June 27th, so all should be good. For ppl sailing this week, I just heard Houston could get 10 inches of rain later this week. Hope your cruise goes smooth!

If there is wind there are waves. Low wind, calm seas, high winds high seas. I've been on ships where there were 18 foot waves and had no problem, sometimes other people get affected by 5 or 6 ft waves. Bring motion sickness meds or remedies, just in case.

As for a disturbance, isn't that the lowest title that is given to a rainstorm? Sure it can develop into something else; at the same time it can go away. Weather channels do sensationalize their reporting to keep viewers, so watch with caution.

At the worst, you will re-route. It's also a chance to dance in the rain.

If there is wind there are waves. Low wind, calm seas, high winds high seas. I've been on ships where there were 18 foot waves and had no problem, sometimes other people get affected by 5 or 6 ft waves. Bring motion sickness meds or remedies, just in case.

As for a disturbance, isn't that the lowest title that is given to a rainstorm? Sure it can develop into something else; at the same time it can go away. Weather channels do sensationalize their reporting to keep viewers, so watch with caution.

Shipment movement will be determined by direction ship is going and direction of wind.

I like your attitude! :)

And to what purpose was the rude reply? The op had a ? If it bothers you to answer questions- then don't please.

I didn't see a question. I saw a statement.

Again, what was the point of this thread much less your reply?

Thank u for the replies. It wasn't really a question, more of a statement, so thank u for the ones that understood just that. I am from louisiana and am familiar with hurricanes/tropical depressions. I'm more positive after reading news/weather that this will likely not affect our trip. Sorry for the one who felt the need to be rude.

The worst thing that would happen is you would go someplace else.

We cruise every year during hurricane season and if the itinerary changes so be it.

We also always cruise during Hurricane season - don't care where we go. We have been to all of them anyway. The main thing for us is just to be onboard. Captain will take care of the ship.

I just checked Cozumel Insider, and the current weather says they are having heavy rain and calm seas. Like they said, this disturbance will be long gone by the time you cruise. But if you want to check the webcams and current weather at Cozumel, google Cozumel Insider and click the Island Information tab. We just spent 7 days there last week. Rain or no rain, I wish I was there now! (It's raining here anyway!) Have fun!

What are you saying is "west Texas"? It's predicted to come up through the coastal plains area Tuesday or so and bring rain up through the central Texas region.

We leave the 20th out of Galveston--10% chance of rain predicted that day.

It has been raining and windy as heck for the last few days. Just windy at the moment. I think the report says showers for another day or 2. I hope it clears here for your visit to Cozumel, and also so I can get my laundry off the line!!!

Yup, west Texas doesn't even touch the Gulf.

If you were from south Louisiana as I am you would know what I meant.

The OP claims to be from Louisiana, apparently newly arrived or this little storm would not have put a blip on her radar. As for the Galveston port being affected, I highly doubt that too. However we have had almost daily rain storms here for the past 2 weeks.

Of course, never underestimate the ability of people to get upset over a tiny storm that will hit somewhere along the gulf coast. But I can report I have seen no stocking up of supplies at the grocery store and no one seems to be boarding up their houses. I think the OP's cruise will head out as one would expect on THUR.

We also always cruise during Hurricane season - don't care where we go. We have been to all of them anyway. The main thing for us is just to be onboard. Captain will take care of the ship.

Our next one is Oct to E Caribbean and hopefully mother nature will allow us to go there.:)