Excursion planning / shopping with the chef Ephesus transport?

deiger

Hi,

My husband and I are looking forward to our 3rd med Seabourn cruise (July 11, Odyssey, Istanbul-Athens 2weeks). http://www.seabourn.com/find-luxury-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?voyageCode=4548A

I'm looking at excursions and would love input as to the most likely ports for shopping with the chef. I would prioritize shopping with the chef over excursions on this cruise, since we've been to many of the ports.

I'm considering booking the 4x4 tour of Corfu (second choice Lemnos?), but read a few posts that said Corfu has been a shopping with the chef port in the past. If we book the tour, then shopping is announced there, are we stuck with an onboard credit if we prefer to do the shopping with the chef?

We always purchase the $400 internet package. If we got stuck with credit, can we use the credit for the internet package even if we bought it in the 1st half of our two week cruise? I can't recall if we had to settle our account halfway through the cruise, since it's also offered as two separate 1-wk cruises. I vaguely recall having to deal with that hassle. I'm hoping that since this is offered as a two-week itinerary that we won't have to deal with that.

On a separate note, is there any kind of free transportation to Ephesus during the day? We've done a (wonderful) private tour there and would revisit it, but don't need a "tour" per se.

Thanks,

Diane

Why don't you use the credit for the internet package to start with and book the tour without the credit? If you cancel the tour you get a full refund and don't have to worry about moving the credit to something else.

Don't recall a shuttle to Ephesus, only excursions. In any event, don't miss the free Ephesus concert in the evening.

Edited by marazul

And after looking at your ports it is most likely that if there is a shopping with the craft it would be in Corfu. We did that there last June and it included at stop at a terrific yoghurt and cheese shop around the corner from the market. And instead of taking the bus with the group back to the ship afterward we just stayed in town and wandered around on our own. From the market to the main tourist area it was less than a 10 minute walk.After a couple of hours we had a lovely alfresco lunch just down the hill from the "new" fort. After more wandering around and one of the Bert gelato so ever at Muka Muka we caught the ship shuttle back to the ship.

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, we don't have onboard credit. My concern is that we would forfeit the cost of the tour (or end up with an unused shipboard credit) if we booked a tour on Corfu, but then cancelled it if it's the shopping day. I think I need to research the excursion cancellation policy.

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, we don't have onboard credit. My concern is that we would forfeit the cost of the tour (or end up with an unused shipboard credit) if we booked a tour on Corfu, but then cancelled it if it's the shopping day. I think I need to research the excursion cancellation policy.

You can cancel and get a refund prior to the deadline for signing up for the excursion. Usually, 24 hours ahead of the excursion time. By then, you should know whether there are any shopping with the chef or other excursions announced. Sometimes, paid excursions are announced while on board that did not appear in the pre-cruise materials.

Since this is your third SB cruise, I assume you still have one of your referral coupons. If you misplaced it, you can request more from the SB club. Ask for another one. And use the referral thread in these boards

Thanks for the replies.

I have cancelled excursions on board because something has come up that appealed more. You just have to make sure you are within the cancellation period. This is usually 24 hours but for some will be longer like three days because of prior outside ticket purchase. It will be on the tour ticket when the cancellation cut off is.

The am not 100% sure but usually it would show up as a credit on your account and then would be refunded into your Credit Card if you have no other purchases at the end of the cruise. I am not sure because we usually buy the unlimited internet package plus some special wine so the credit ends up being used.:)

When you first board they may not be able to confirm when they will do shopping with the Chef so you will have to check back later.

Julie

Regarding the shore excursion cancellation policy - Our TA told us that the policy is that you have to cancel 4 days before sailing in order to get a full refund. That is much more strict than we experienced with Seabourn on our last trip, but that was 5 years ago.

Can anyone provide any more insight on what the policy is? Does it vary trip to trip, or excursion to excursion? I don't plan to cancel any, but with 4 of us traveling together I definitely want to have a handle on what our options are.

Thanks!

Regarding the shore excursion cancellation policy - Our TA told us that the policy is that you have to cancel 4 days before sailing in order to get a full refund. That is much more strict than we experienced with Seabourn on our last trip, but that was 5 years ago.

Can anyone provide any more insight on what the policy is? Does it vary trip to trip, or excursion to excursion? I don't plan to cancel any, but with 4 of us traveling together I definitely want to have a handle on what our options are.

Thanks!

I was just on Sojourn Jan/Feb 2015 and with most excursions you certainly could cancel on board as I did cancel a couple of short tours. As I recall one was 48 hours before the excursion. As I mentioned above in my post on the tour ticket they have a cancellation date.

For some tours i.e. overnight Safaris and overnight in Myanmar maybe they would need those cancelled prior to the cruise starting as they involve buying accommodation and organising flights. Hopefully someone who has experience booking those can help with those.

I don't know if this policy has changed since our last cruise.

When you first board you receive a list of all the excursions offered during the cruise (or segment if on a b-to-b). The deadline for each excursion is clearly stated. It is also printed on your excursion ticket. You can sign up or cancel up to that time. There might be a little difference in times. For example, for a walking tour right off the ship, it might be 24 hours. For an excursion involving a coach and lunch, it will certainly be 48 hours. The reason is that SB must give headcount and pay the local operator within a certain time.

One item that SB does not mention on the excursion list, and it should, is whether a free shuttle will be offered on the port. This could affect your decision to go on an excursion. Shuttle announcements have been made past the cancellation deadline when it is too late to make other plans. It is best to ask the excursion people in Seabourn Square whether they plan to offer shuttles in any of the ports.

When you first board you receive a list of all the excursions offered during the cruise (or segment if on a b-to-b). The deadline for each excursion is clearly stated. It is also printed on your excursion ticket. You can sign up or cancel up to that time. There might be a little difference in times. For example, for a walking tour right off the ship, it might be 24 hours. For an excursion involving a coach and lunch, it will certainly be 48 hours. The reason is that SB must give headcount and pay the local operator within a certain time.

One item that SB does not mention on the excursion list, and it should, is whether a free shuttle will be offered on the port. This could affect your decision to go on an excursion. Shuttle announcements have been made past the cancellation deadline when it is too late to make other plans. It is best to ask the excursion people in Seabourn Square whether they plan to offer shuttles in any of the ports.

There is a free shuttle in Corfu and I would not do anything else in Corfu except shopping with the Chec. I have done it twice, it's that good and that much fun.

I don't know your itinerary but I always get a SIM card for my iPad. For example in Novemebr when I did AUS and NZ I bought a SIM card in NZ and had I internet access for free for the whole time I was in NZ. As it gets the data via cellular I was able to get service even when we were at sea, as we were still within cellular range. Did the same thing for China on Crystal. Internet prices are ridiculous, I paid approx 20. NZD and had Internet access for 8 days. Haven't been to Greece lately but sure you can do that.