Weather During Glacier Day?

logan25

The port temperatures are running 10-15 warmer than when we sailed three years ago in June. I keep checking the port forecasts to get a handle on what clothing/outerwear to pack. So far, except for the varying chance of precipitation, the temperatures are 60s to low 70s.

I'm wondering about dressing for being on deck during Glacier Day. Three years ago, I layered with sweater, sweats and lightweight ski pullover. Can't decide if I need just as many layers packed this year or less.

Just returned from our cruise which went up Tracy Arm to Sawyer Glacier. Weather for most of cruise was unusually nice. Glacier afternoon was sunny and gorgeous on deck and I'm thinking about all the people who wrote about needing the warmest clothes for "glacier day." Ha ha, aren't we lucky? And THEN the sun went behind the fjord walls....and I went back and got the knit hats and gloves from the cabin and wished I'd brought out a blanket or beach towel. It got SO cold!

Janice

The day we were at Glacier Bay (June 3rd) is was COLD, overcast and the wind was blowing. We wore long sleeves, a hoody and polar fleece jackets. We stayed pretty warm. We had a balcony stateroom so we stayed outside and could go inside to warm up easily. We also had nylon windbreakers that were water resistant they helped block the wind very well.

I would advise dressing as you did a couple of years ago. It is much easier to remove a layer than try to find something else to wear or be cold and miserable. The weather today or yesterday in Glacier Bay as no bearing what it will be like tomorrow let alone next week.

Be prepared! I was in a t-shirt and shorts on our balcony as we entered Glacier Bay, went to jeans and a long sleeve shirt as we approached the glaciers, ended up in sweat shirt, light jacket, wool cap and gloves when we were at the glaciers. This while the sun was out the entire time.

It doesn't matter when you sail Alaska, you will always need that wide range of clothes- IF you plan on being out on deck at some point, and more so, at the glaciers. There are so many unprepared people, I always see, don't be one of them. :)

The best thing you can bring that not too many people mention is a very light and compact umbrella, it will get you through some drizzly days, possibly viewing the glaciers in glacier bay and will protect your camera etc. it replaces a number of layers of clothes or a heavier coat in my opinion. I also recommend a weather proof light windbreaker with a hood and a pair of light isotoner gloves.

Positioning matters. In 2010 for Glacier Bay, we found a spot on Coral's Deck 15 port side by the outdoor pool and MUTS. It was breezy and cold the whole morning. The following night for College Fjord, I decided I was going to go a little further aft, alongside an enclosed area that continued up 1-2 stories. I also decided to set up my tripod and stay there, whether it was the first side to turn to the glacier or second. Turns out it was second. My wife went over to starboard and froze her butt off with the cold air, no evening sun directly on her, etc. Meanwhile, I was hanging out on port side with little to do except guard my cameras, and was in the sun with a decent wind blocker behind me. I ended up "stripping" down to just undershirt and short-sleeve polo shirt, dangling a fleece pullover and a jacket from my tripod. As the ship began to turn, my wife came walking over shivering and squeezing me for warmth, while I was laughing. Oops - once we turned out of the sun and into the wind, I was COLD.

So, position matters.

Funny this- I had been checking weather on Weather.com for Glacier Bay for the next weeks. They kept posting that it would be near 100 F over the next 15 days.

I think they had it confused with Glacier National Park in Montana. Or were making up the forecast. I think an email to them got it adjusted- now appears to be between 60 and 70 F as a forecast.

Ports were high 60s low 70s. The naturalist advertised that Tracy Arm would be 42 degrees when we entered at 6am. I wore: Leggings under jeans (figuring I could take off jeans and still be acceptable in leggings if I was too warm, or could change in the bathroom to take leggings off during the small boat cruise - which would have required gymnastics), a t-shirt, a thin fleece, a thick fleece, a gor-tex waterproof shell jacket, a fleece hat, and fleece gloves. When we were nearest the glacier or moving fast on the small boat trip, I was very comfortable. Not near the glacier, or moving slowly, I shed layers. By a 5pm whale watch, I was in a t-shirt and unzipped fleece with no hat or gloves.

Ok, good. I feel justified in cramming in my scarf, gloves, sweatshirt, rain jacket, and heavy winter coat into my packing. I think my winter days of 50s-60s are cold so I know I'll be cold. And I'm bringing an umbrella too. All winter I told myself I was practicing for summer in Alaska! Leaving tomorrow so good to know I'm packing the right things!

The port temperatures are running 10-15 warmer than when we sailed three years ago in June. I keep checking the port forecasts to get a handle on what clothing/outerwear to pack. So far, except for the varying chance of precipitation, the temperatures are 60s to low 70s.

I'm wondering about dressing for being on deck during Glacier Day. Three years ago, I layered with sweater, sweats and lightweight ski pullover. Can't decide if I need just as many layers packed this year or less.

Our motto: Better to bring it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

But I would be more concerned about how I was dressed for excursions in port than for being out on the ship's deck.

If I get cold out on deck I can just wrap myself up in a deck blanket or two.

Edited by fleckle

Our motto: Better to bring it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

But I would be more concerned about how I was dressed for excursions in port than for being out on the ship's deck.

If I get cold out on deck I can just wrap myself up in a deck blanket or two.

So you can look like one of these dorks, wrapped in plaid blankets? ;)

972293_10201482022389934_1407275505_n.jpg?oh=c31f17b420d10592a7ab847bdda65086&oe=5631ACB0

I've seen people with one blanket around their waist like a skirt, another around their shoulders, and a 3rd over their head. Better to come prepared with appropriate attire than spend your glacier day awkwardly wrapped up in blankets.

The best thing you can bring that not too many people mention is a very light and compact umbrella, it will get you through some drizzly days, possibly viewing the glaciers in glacier bay and will protect your camera etc. it replaces a number of layers of clothes or a heavier coat in my opinion. I also recommend a weather proof light windbreaker with a hood and a pair of light isotoner gloves.

NOT this!. Umbrellas are a pain, not to mention become an unintentional weapon to those around you! Also, the only camera you can shoot with while holding an umbrella is a little pocket thing (some still need 2 hands for those anyway).

My outer layer is always a water-proof hooded rain jacket, that's also long enough to cover my bum. It's great for stopping wind besides any moisture. A fleece jacket underneath if cold enough. Gloves are good, but if you're taking pictures, make sure you can operate your camera with them on. I just take liners, and because they are thin, it works really well. If you're feet get cold easily, wear two layers of thin socks. (Also helps if you wear sneakers, make sure they aren't the ones that let lots of air in.)

So you can look like one of these dorks, wrapped in plaid blankets? ;).
Absolutely right!

Nothing wrong with bundling up and looking like a dork when it keeps you warm and comfortable.

I am out there to enjoy the scenery, not to be a fashion model or try to impress some stranger with my wardrobe.

Besides, most passengers are out there to look at the glacier, not to look at me or my fellow dorks. :D

Recalling the old saying:

Those who matter don't mind,

and those who mind don't matter. :)

Edited by fleckle

Absolutely right!

Nothing wrong with bundling up and looking like a dork when it keeps you warm and comfortable.

I am out there to enjoy the scenery, not to be a fashion model or try to impress some stranger with my wardrobe.

Besides, most passengers are out there to look at the glacier, not to look at me or my fellow dorks. :D

Recalling the old saying:

Those who matter don't mind,

and those who mind don't matter. :)

Actually, I was thinking that it's not so much about how you look, but how awkward it is. People "dressed" this way always seem to have their hands busy holding onto their blankets. I'd rather have my hands free for my binoculars and camera.

Actually, I was thinking that it's not so much about how you look, but how awkward it is. People "dressed" this way always seem to have their hands busy holding onto their blankets. I'd rather have my hands free for my binoculars and camera.

LOL! According to Vogue magazine, wearing blankets is now actually quite fashionable!

There are various ways to wrap them and keep your hands free.

Maybe they should offer blanket wrapping demonstrations as a new activity on cruise ships, the way they do the food and spa demonstrations. ;)

Some examples

blanket-scarves-cammmy.nocrop.w840.h1330.2x.jpg

blanket-scarves-takeafashionbreak.nocrop.w840.h1330.2x.jpg

So it turns out that we dorks were trend setters after all and didn't even know it. icon3.gif

Just being practical, I can't see wasting space in my suitcase to pack any unnecessary extra clothing for glacier viewing if it is something that I would not use again on any other day of the cruise.

Another nice thing about the blankets is that we simply drop them into the used blanket bin when finished with them, so we don't need to wear them or carry them around inside the ship.