Question about doing our own Walking tour Ketchikan

lauren0309

I printed out a map of Ketchikan and we are planning on doing our own walking tour and I circled all the points of interest I want to see starting from the pier, going through creek street, salmon ladder with a few other stops along the way and ending at Totem Heritage Center. Time wise, would I be saving time taking the free bus from the pier to the furthest place being Totem Heritage Center and then backtracking or it wouldn't really make a difference. We also plan on having lunch at Red Onion.

Yes we have all our rain gear packed. I'm just wondering if we would be saving time taking the bus to the furthest point and then backtracking. Walking isn't an issue for us. We'll be in Ketchikan from 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Edited by lauren0309

Yes we have all our rain gear packed. I'm just wondering if we would be saving time taking the bus to the furthest point and then backtracking. Walking isn't an issue for us. We'll be in Ketchikan from 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

I would plan on taking the bus both to the Totems. There isn't a lot to see walking along the road. I'm presuming your referring to the Totems south if town.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Edited by Kamloops50

I printed out a map of Ketchikan and we are planning on doing our own walking tour and I circled all the points of interest I want to see starting from the pier, going through creek street, salmon ladder with a few other stops along the way and ending at Totem Heritage Center. Time wise, would I be saving time taking the free bus from the pier to the furthest place being Totem Heritage Center and then backtracking or it wouldn't really make a difference. We also plan on having lunch at Red Onion.

If everyone is mobile, and not dilly-dallying :) I think it is about 20 mins walk to the Totem Heritage Center from the pier WE were at. If you are at Pier 4 (furthest out), it will take longer. Maybe another 10 mins IIRC. I honestly don't know how long it will take to get a shuttle and then make the obligatory other stops before you get to the Totem Heritage Center.

(I had to stop and look at some jewelry, and DH had to investigate the Thrift Store..... so am not exactly certain how long the actual walk took :D )

Its all very walkable and doable. I don't think it really matters a whole lot whether you want to take the free shuttle to the Totem Heritage Centre and walk from there or just start walking from the pier. About the only thing that you will pass twice are the shops on Mission St. and you can take another way back and avoid it or just walk on the other side of the street. One thing about taking the shuttle to the Totem Heritage Center is that for the most part it is all downhill from there.

That last part might be a loooong walk. The Red Onion is in Skagway. :p

I have suggested a route to also take. Can repost if needed.

But the Heritage Totem Museum, isn't an "end". so, you may want to also think about how you wish to return.

Also there is no point in going to the ladder, if the salmon aren't running. Easy to determine, by looking at the creek. :)

Were you also going to visit the museum?

As for the bus- nope, it isn't worth waiting for in my opinion, and for this short distance. The bus doesn't run all that frequently, is usually loaded to standing room, and makes several stops.

I have suggested a route to also take. Can repost if needed.

But the Heritage Totem Museum, isn't an "end". so, you may want to also think about how you wish to return.

Also there is no point in going to the ladder, if the salmon aren't running. Easy to determine, by looking at the creek. :)

Were you also going to visit the museum?

As for the bus- nope, it isn't worth waiting for in my opinion, and for this short distance. The bus doesn't run all that frequently, is usually loaded to standing room, and makes several stops.

Yes we are going the end of June. Thanks for letting me know about the salmon. I didn't know that. Also, yes we plan on visiting the Totem Heritage Center. That was going to be our last stop according to the map and then make our way back and spend more time on creek street shopping and having lunch.

Maybe also the lumberjack show. I don't know. Sounds kind of hokey. I've been to lumberjack shows before at our town fairs.

Yes I would appreciate it, if you would repost a route

Edited by lauren0309

Yes we are going the end of June. Thanks for letting me know about the salmon. I didn't know that. Also, yes we plan on visiting the Totem Heritage Center. That was going to be our last stop according to the map and then make our way back and spend more time on creek street shopping and having lunch.

Maybe also the lumberjack show. I don't know. Sounds kind of hokey. I've been to lumberjack shows before at our town fairs.

Yes I would appreciate it, if you would repost a route

If you want a slow hour walking, I suggest a loop. Including taking the funicular up to the Fox Lodge for a look at their beautiful totems, walk down the Married Man's trail- historic, right on Park. the right to the Totem Heritage Museum. Continue through the City Park and down Deermont to end, turn right. You are at the other end of Creek St. near Dolly's House, an interesting tour there too, to consider (note the shower curtain :) )

Red Dog..Juneau..Red Onion ..Skagway

If eating in Ketchikan allow time for standing in

line and being waited on. Most places are busy.

Yes dock #4 makes it a longer walk.

Good view from Fox Lodge can take tram

walk down.

Also remember says till 3pm means you have

to be back by 2-2:30 pm. Usually an half hour

before but sometimes an hour.

Edited by Belle

Red Dog..Juneau..Red Onion ..Skagway

If eating in Ketchikan allow time for standing in

line and being waited on. Most places are busy.

Yes dock #4 makes it a longer walk.

Good view from Fox Lodge can take tram

walk down.

Also remember says till 3pm means you have

to be back by 2-2:30 pm. Usually an half hour

before but sometimes an hour.

As an alternative and away from masses of cruise passengers, in Juneau I always recommend the Alaskan Hotel. On the National Historic Registry and worth a look, compared to the touristy Red Dog. :)

As an alternative and away from masses of cruise passengers, in Juneau I always recommend the Alaskan Hotel. On the National Historic Registry and worth a look, compared to the touristy Red Dog. :)

I quite agree, the Red Dog is in at least it's 3rd location and certainly not in the Franklin St. location that I remember in 1963. Ok, I do have the t-shirt that reads "follow my ass to the Red Dog Saloon". The Alaskan is the real thing...even if it doesn't rate 4 stars. Sadly I had my last drink in Moe's Frontier Bar in Skagway a few years ago....it's now yet another jewelry store.:(

You are going end of June??? Sorry, no salmon will be running, so no point in going to the ladder in my opinion.[/quote

Will the salmon 'run' on August 7th !!:p:)

Thanks,

Frank

Does the Alaskan Hotel serve food? Tried looking at the menu or a review on yelp and trip advisor and only saw write-ups about beer which we don't drink.

You are going end of June??? Sorry, no salmon will be running, so no point in going to the ladder in my opinion.[/quote

Will the salmon 'run' on August 7th !!:p:)

Thanks,

Frank

You should see salmon in at least one of your ports. the runs vary greatly, I've gone successive weeks, with more salmon than water one week, and only a few stragglers the next.

Does the Alaskan Hotel serve food? Tried looking at the menu or a review on yelp and trip advisor and only saw write-ups about beer which we don't drink.

It's worth just a look at the building, but call them about the food. We wouldn't be eating there (and definitely not at the Red Dog either) as we have our other favorites. So not sure, what may or may not be available. It's not really the place you would sit an have a meal probably. :)

You really don't need the free bus. It is very easy to walk the whole thing. I like Annabelle's for lunch too. Here is the link to my blog about Ketchikan, but we have donw what you are doing and just walked the whole town too. We actually did this time ( 2 weeks ago), even with a morning exursion. http://www.iluvwineandtravel.com/?p=1930

Edited by clc6p