Cruise Insurance Question

rhelms

I purchased cruise travel insurance through Carnival for my upcoming cruise. This is the first time that I have purchased insurance but I am getting a bit older and a little more precautionary.

Do I get anything or am I suppose to print something that proves that I have the insurance. I would guess that there would be information that I would need if in fact I had to use it.

Appreciate the help.

I purchased cruise travel insurance through Carnival for my upcoming cruise. This is the first time that I have purchased insurance but I am getting a bit older and a little more precautionary.

Do I get anything or am I suppose to print something that proves that I have the insurance. I would guess that there would be information that I would need if in fact I had to use it.

Appreciate the help.

I always get third party insurance rather than thru Carnival. It will be listed on your documents that you have purchased it via Carnival. The policy information may also be included with your cruise documents. My suggestion would be to contact Carnival with any questions.

I always get third party insurance rather than thru Carnival. It will be listed on your documents that you have purchased it via Carnival. The policy information may also be included with your cruise documents. My suggestion would be to contact Carnival with any questions.

Can you provide the name of the third party insurance carrier that you purchase?

Is the third party insurance typically cheaper? Why do you prefer it. Just trying to learn because I will buy insurance for all future cruises.

InsureMyTrip.com is a comparison website, you will find MANY different policies and carriers. Do you want "Cancel for any reason", just the cruise portion (which is what Carnival will cover), just your airfare covered, coverage for sailing with a pre-exsisting condition coverage. You will have to decide what exactly you want to cover.

It is a great website and there are others out there as well but you will probably be buying better coverage over what the cruise line itself offers, depending on what you need.

Is the third party insurance typically cheaper? Why do you prefer it. Just trying to learn because I will buy insurance for all future cruises.

Carnival insurance will only cover cruise. Third party will cover a lot more. Often, you can choose which benefits you would like to purchase, depending on your needs and individual risk assessment.

Third party insurance companies typically have higher coverage for some things. One of the many things we look at is the limits on flying you home or to a hospital in case of severe injury or death. The money it would cost you if you have to pay for that type of transportation is very high if you don't have high enough limit on the insurance that you bought from the cruise company. For example, Carnivals insurance covers you for $30,000 & Travel Guard covers $150,000 for the Silver plan, that is the lowest level they offer, for Emergency Evacuation.

We used cruise insurance in the past but not anymore.

Third party insurance companies typically have higher coverage for some things. One of the many things we look at is the limits on flying you home or to a hospital in case of severe injury or death. The money it would cost you if you have to pay for that type of transportation is very high if you don't have high enough limit on the insurance that you bought from the cruise company. For example, Carnivals insurance covers you for $30,000 & Travel Guard covers $150,000 for the Silver plan, that is the lowest level they offer, for Emergency Evacuation.

We used cruise insurance in the past but not anymore.

I have a question. Under what circumstances do people think that it would cost $150,000 to transport one person back to the U.S or home country? Or are you talking about medical costs and transportation celings?

Edited by eponym

I have a question. Under what circumstances do people think that it would cost $150,000 to transport one person back to the U.S? Or are you talking about medical costs and transportation celings?

The $150,000 is transportation only. Don't know what kind of circumstances that a person would need that level of coverage, hope I never find out. Always better to have more coverage rather than not enough. Anything medical nowadays will cost a bunch. We don't want to find out the expensive way.

All depends on what a persons comfort level is regarding how much or how little insurance to have. IMO, for us, would want more not less.

I have a question. Under what circumstances do people think that it would cost $150,000 to transport one person back to the U.S or home country? Or are you talking about medical costs and transportation celings?

I would think if you were injured or fell sick out of the country and needed a medical transport to the USA, could not fly commercial and needed medical personnel accompanying you, you could easily rack up $150,000 in expense.

I just purchased from Travel guard and max out for medical and evacuation with pre existing, cancel cause and all the other stuff, I still paid less than what Carnival quoted me.

Good luck

Nan

A private air ambulance service with life support equipment on board and a certified flight nurse.

Appreciate the help.

Your getting some misinformation from some well intended people here.

Come on over to the Cruise Insurance forum here on the Cruise Critic board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=635

You'll learn more about travel insurance than you ever wanted.

Your getting some misinformation from some well intended people here.

Come on over to the Cruise Insurance forum here on the Cruise Critic board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=635

You'll learn more about travel insurance than you ever wanted.

That is a whole new universe of Cruise Critic information. Thanks for posting it.

We've used Travel Guard for years. We get the silver plan. We've never had to file a claim, but they are reasonable and have all the coverage we need.

Edited by elliair

We use TravelGuard. One would hope to never have to use it, but I did have to last fall.

My Mom (who was not booked on the cruise) was scheduled for heart surgery 20 days before our cruise. She should have only had a five day hospital stay (more in rehab, but only five in the actual hospital). She ended up in ICU for 37 days and was actually knocked out on Propofol when we were scheduled to sail. (yep, the "Michael Jackson" stuff - that stuff gave me the heebie jeebies).

Our sail date was Sunday but two of us were departing on Friday, the other two on Saturday. We finally pulled the plug on the cruise on Tuesday. Nope, my Mom is fine finally, no pulling of the plug there! :D

We had to jump through a few hoops - the hardest was getting the initial and then corrected information from my Mom's doctor, that was like pulling teeth. We don't live in the same state, trying to cover everything via phone and email/snail mail was interesting but finally I got all the required paperwork.

Three separate claims (although it turned out a TG phone rep did steer me wrong there, we could have done it on one even though we didn't all live at the same physical address, we do all live in the same state - lesson learned, not that big of a deal) but the package I shipped all the claims/paperwork was about $20 to ship - it was too much for flat rate! :eek: I did use the better part of a whole ream of paper - the claim was huge, had to make three copies of everything! Fortunately I work in an office and I was able to get it done easily.

TG paid off with no issue and I've got a new policy for our cruise this fall. I had purchased from them before, but thankfully hadn't had to use. I didn't have cancel for any reason on this policy (forgot to buy it the same day as initial payment - another lesson learned, another not that much of a big deal in the end) but I do have it for this cruise.

Heck, the way Carnival is evolving almost minute by minute with policy changes - who knows when you'll want to cancel for any reason??? :D

We have used squaremouth.com for years. great site to compare. did have to use once to cancel and it worked wonderfully. Travel graude is our insurance company of choice depending on where and how long we are going. We usually have plans to stay longer than the cruise so we always buy a policy that fits the vacation rather than just the cruise.