Cove or Regular Balcony

lovingCCL

I am going to book a balcony on the Magic. I am very torn on if I should get a regular balcony (on 6th floor or higher) or a cove. I have always been nervous of being low in the ship (it just feels stifling to me). However, I love the thought of being closer to the water. Can I get some insight into which one you prefer and why. Thanks so much in advance.

We've had both a cove balcony and a Lido balcony on Carnival Magic. We love both. With either, there was no problem with noise or motion. The advantage to a Lido balcony is that you are close to all the outdoor action, the pool, the waterworks, the buffets, etc. The advantage to a cove balcony is being close to the water, having a slightly larger and more private balcony with a view of the pier when docked on your side of the ship. In addition, with the cove you walk up one deck to the lobby and the shows.

It's all in what you want and expect. Here's hoping you have a great cruise regardless of cabin choice. Bon Voyage!

We've had both a cove balcony and a Lido balcony on Carnival Magic. We love both. With either, there was no problem with noise or motion. The advantage to a Lido balcony is that you are close to all the outdoor action, the pool, the waterworks, the buffets, etc. The advantage to a cove balcony is being close to the water, having a slightly larger and more private balcony with a view of the pier when docked on your side of the ship. In addition, with the cove you walk up one deck to the lobby and the shows.

It's all in what you want and expect. Here's hoping you have a great cruise regardless of cabin choice. Bon Voyage!

I echo this. My personal choice is for the cove. I love being closer to the water for a balcony, and I really like being low on the ship. It's also so nice to not need to use elevators when the elevators are being slammed, such as before/after dining, before/after shows, & getting off/on the ship in port. I have had balconies on deck 2, way up high, & inbetween. The cove on deck 2 was easily my favorite.

If you do go with a regular balcony, I would recommend going higher up, such as lido deck, just to minimize the obstruction that the deck 5 lanai has. The lanai circles the entire ship, so no balconies above deck 5 look straight down to the water. You see deck instead. The higher up you go, the less that matters.

1) Once you go with a Cove, you'll never want a standard balcony again. Coves are bigger, more private, have shade provided by the lifeboats above, and have better views of pier runners.

2) If you do choose to go with a standard balcony, you might want to book something on deck 8 or higher. Deck 5 is the Lanai, and most people seem irritated when they look over their balcony to see other guests looking up at them, others making a bunch of noise, or getting overwhelming BBQ smell on sea days (the C Side BBQ) (though I honestly don't see that as a problem - sounds wonderful! :P ).

We've had a cove on the Dream, then lidos on the Glory and Liberty. We booked a B2B on the Breeze for next year and picked a cove. I love being so close to the water, and really liked the cove balcony more than a regular one. Just felt more private. Only downside is being a ways away from everything.

I think it is truly personal preference. Like a poster above, Deck 2 is so low on the ship it is stifling to us too, pluse cove balconies are not like a true balcony as there is merely a hole cut out of the sheet metal, so the cabins are darker and more closed in feeling, plus you can't see the water as there is sheet metal half way up, unless you are standing at the cut out.

A regular balcony on the Magic is different, with both pros and cons too. You must be cautious for privacy sake, if you care, regarding what deck you choose. We have always opted for Deck 8 on this class of ship as the lanai (Deck 5) runs around the ship and folk on the Lanai can see onto your balcony if you book on Deck 6 or 7. HOwever, the balcony is more "open" feeling, there is a railing the entire length of cabin/balcony and below it is glass. From your cabin you can see the water from bed, no sheet metal blocking view. Plus, it is brighter and lighter in the cabin than a cove. There is an overhang above from Deck 9 cabins.

Hands down, we prefer the standard balcony cabin, worth the extra money as we cruise to "view the water" and it is a wide open view from a regular balcony (vs. cove). In the end, it depends on your own desires.

Edited by buddylover

The cove balconies, in my experience, are more likely to have salt spray on the furniture which needs to be wiped away before you sit. But i love the cove because it is shaded most of the day, and the direct sun is not my personal friend. If the sun IS your best friend, you may prefer a different balcony.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!

I have an unpopular opinion. I wouldn't book a cove balcony because I don't like feeling enclosed and the coves are not as open as those on higher decks. I also don't like seeing the water rush by on a lower deck as it makes me nauseous.

On a Dream class ship, I wouldn't book a balcony below deck 8 as on deck 6, anyone walking on the promenade deck can look up and see you on your balcony. Deck 7 is a bit better, but not much. On these decks should you sit on your balcony and look out all you see is deck 5. At least on deck 8 you see ocean instead of the lanai.

By the way, we don't do anything on the balcony that I would worry about someone seeing, but I like to feel it's my balcony, not the whole ship's balcony to see.

I am going to book a balcony on the Magic. I am very torn on if I should get a regular balcony (on 6th floor or higher) or a cove. I have always been nervous of being low in the ship (it just feels stifling to me). However, I love the thought of being closer to the water. Can I get some insight into which one you prefer and why. Thanks so much in advance.

...Have sailed in both regular balconies and a Cove. Absolutely loved our 2283 cabin on the Breeze.

...Here's my you tube video of my Cove. Hope it helps.