First Celebrity Cruise, First time to Alaska

renaroo

Tomorrow I head for Vancouver for an 11-day Alaska cruise tour on the Celebrity Millennium. This is a long-anticipated family vacation that includes: my husband, my college-age daughter, and my retired parents. We'll be in Aqua class.

I've cruised on Carnival, Princess, and Royal Caribbean and cannot wait to try Celebrity. I've been reading the forums for m-o-n-t-h-s and have benefitted from the many posts even if I never chimed in. I can tell Celebrity has a loyal bunch of cruisers and I'm about to join you. :)

If anyone has any last minute tips or any exciting comments that will get me even more hyped-up about our approaching departure, post away! I have no specific question or concern, just very excited to be on my way.

dont forget the off menu items in Blu....onion soup, caesar salad (with or without anchovies), escargot (if you like garlic), and creme brulee for dessert :)

When you get to your cabin, you'll find a letter inviting you to BLU restaurant and giving you an assigned time for the first night. You really don't have to arrive at that fixed time...it's anytime dining.

When you board, splurge and go to Bistro on Five for lunch...$10 a person. The food is good but the main reason is that the buffet is generally mobbed and there are no seats because everyone is sitting with their luggage waiting for their room to be available.

For lunches...try the hamburgers at the poolside...and the aqua spa cafe (both free). Don't forget the free icecream just inside the buffet area.

When you do go to the buffet, walk completely around it before you get food. There are different food stations sort of hidden away.

If you are not "champagne" drinkers, you should be able to exchange the bottle you'll find in your room for red or white wine or a credit towards some other wine.. Ask the somellier in Blu on the first night if you can exchange it...assuming they say yes, bring it the second night. BTW...take it out of the ice or the label will come off when the ice melts.

There are only four or five tables for 5 or 6 in Blu on the Millenium although they can move tables around. You might want to stop by when you get on board and mention that you have a group of 5 and you generally eat at 7PM (obviously use your prefered time)...just so they can try to hold one of those tables for you. It's not a reservation...they don't take reservations...it just helps them plan.

Enjoy your cruise....

Edited by ghstudio

One of our best ever cruises was on the Millie! Treat yourself and go to the Olympic, order whatever you like for starters and mains but you MUST have a 'Ballon Rouge' for desert!

Have a wonderful, wonderful cruise.

We hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did. While in Vancouver stop and get a good cup of coffee - believe me when I say it won't be hard to find a coffee shop.

gh, pretty much summed up the Aqua Class experience. I too echo having lunch at the Bistro. Yes, $10 a head is a bit pricy but it's sure beats the mob scene upstairs.

You will clear US Customs before you check in and get your sea passes. This may take some time if there are other ships embarking at the same time. There is only one line for Customs - there are several positions, but only one line. Everything else is a breeze once you clear customs.

Please post a review when you get back. We are long time RCCL cruisers and will also be first time Celebrity cruisers on Millennium next June to Alaska. I can't wait to learn everything there is to know about the ship's activities and food.

ghstudio - thank you for taking the time to share so many ideas! There are many things you mention that I want to keep in mind. I will definitely let them know at Blu that we have a little larger group. I'll be sure to try Bistro on Five for embarkation day. Perfect time to try them out.

chemmo - what is the 'Ballon Rouge?' I'm intrigued...

rnrcruzin - I didn't realize Vancouver had especially good coffee. I LOOOOOVE excellent coffee - strong and black, my favorite. Do you have a particular suggestion close to the cruise terminal? We're staying close to Canada Place.

SECdawg - I WILL come back and write a review!

Hope I spelt it correctly! It is a table side prepared flambéd desert! No more information.....no need to spoil surprises, just go and enjoy! I suggest you take your camera.

All the very best for your holiday!

ghstudio - thank you for taking the time to share so many ideas! There are many things you mention that I want to keep in mind. I will definitely let them know at Blu that we have a little larger group. I'll be sure to try Bistro on Five for embarkation day. Perfect time to try them out.

chemmo - what is the 'Ballon Rouge?' I'm intrigued...

rnrcruzin - I didn't realize Vancouver had especially good coffee. I LOOOOOVE excellent coffee - strong and black, my favorite. Do you have a particular suggestion close to the cruise terminal? We're staying close to Canada Place.

SECdawg - I WILL come back and write a review!

Vancouver has outstanding food to go with that coffee...it's a wonderful city to "pig out" in. Asian food is exceptional..perhaps better than in Asia

more hints: breakfast...try the buffet one day for eggs benedict (not available in Blu)...and try the waffles but make sure they are straight from the waffle iron, not sitting there in a pan (not sure waffles are available in blu).

Lunch: buffet: try the ethnic foods....depending on what's available. Indian, mexican and Asian stir fry

Pre-dinner snack: They serve sushi almost every night from 5-? in the buffet area. Great for a pre-dinner snack (better than the hors d'oevers mentioned below).

dinner: try to eat at at the Olympic (specialty) restaurant once during the cruise. You should be able to get a reasonable discount on the $45-50 per person charge...I think it's worth $25-30 or so (includes tip). Excellent food...worth the extra cost. Also try to eat at Qsine, which is the same price...good food served very creatively...a fun meal. In both cases, after a couple of days on board, you can suggest to any of the folks you see trying to sell dinners that the 5 of you would go if they bribed you with a good discount...and see what they say. (note: it usually works if you ask with a smile...if not, try asking someone else)

They will offer you hors d'oevers in your cabin in the afternoon...fill out the form you'll find in your room each day. You can also request that they give you a cheese plate instead...just write it in. They will most likely have 3 apples in a tray in your cabin. If you want something else...pears, etc. tell your cabin attendant. They will give you ice in your room but you have to ask for it....so ask.

There are pillow options and perhaps you will find a pillow menu (I haven't seen one in three years). However, they have a foam pillow, firm pillow, soft pillow, body pillow (big) and some other one. Ask your cabin attendant.

Hope all this is helping...

Edited by ghstudio

We loved the Millennium to Alaska in May in AQ as well. Although we loved Blu, I second trying the specialty restaurants. We took the offer of 50% off either restaurant on the first night and went to Qsine. So much fun! We had reserved Olympic in advance on the day of the Skagway port since we knew we would be back on the ship by 4:00 so no rushing. I think an offer was made for 20% off either restaurant one night later in the week.

We ordered a cheese plate or two from room service each afternoon in time for sail away. Got a drink from the Sunset Bar and brought it back to our aft balcony. Wine, cheese, sail away, the beauty of Alaska...ah, magical!

Thanks again, everyone, for your replies.

ghstudio ... your first response was great and your second response had equally wonderful tips! I even called my husband over to the computer to read everything because there were so many tidbits that will help make our experience even better - my husband and daughter LOVE sushi, my husband is an eggs benedict fan (and I don't make it at home), and I sleep with a body pillow and never would have thought to request one on the cruise.

I'm printing this page and bringing it with me and surgie, we are going to try to to see if any great offers are available at one of the speciality restaurants so all 5 of us can dine in style! Thank goodness there's a fitness center on board.

neverbeenhere - I'm originally from Upper Michigan, although I moved waaay down south a number of years ago, so I'm sure I'll recognize those birdlike creatures for what they are - mosquitoes. :-)

I just want everyone to know that taking the time out of your day to share is very much appreciated. I'm going to print off this page of tips, then I'm off to put the finishing touches on my packing project before catching my flight to Vancouver a little later today. Thanks, everyone!!

Please post a review when you get back. We are long time RCCL cruisers and will also be first time Celebrity cruisers on Millennium next June to Alaska. I can't wait to learn everything there is to know about the ship's activities and food.

Hello. It looks like you are on the same cruise that we are. I started a roll call. Please join!