Le Bistro vs Cagney's - Which is your FAVORITE, and why?

Sandman799

An old thread but still a good question.

Le Bistro for us. The steak is as good as Cagney's in our opinion and my husband loves the escargot appetizer, usually getting a double order. I love the four mushroom soup, so nice and thick and mushroomy. Neither of those is available at Cagneys.

Edited by NMLady

I'm surprising myself by saying Le Bistro, but I haven't been to Cagney's for a few years. Specifically the Le Bistro mushroom soup and duck stand out for me. Filet is also great, but filet is not our favorite cut of steak, so I tend not to gush about filet.

The thing is, I can cook a steak at home that's as good as or better than Cagney's, so I think some of the Le Bistro items just feel more "special" to me.

I'm surprising myself by saying Le Bistro, but I haven't been to Cagney's for a few years. Specifically the Le Bistro mushroom soup and duck stand out for me. Filet is also great, but filet is not our favorite cut of steak, so I tend not to gush about filet.

The thing is, I can cook a steak at home that's as good as or better than Cagney's, so I think some of the Le Bistro items just feel more "special" to me.

Blasphemy! Of course fillet is the best cut!

Just kidding, everyone has their favorite cut.

When we went, what made Chaney's was the ambience, we went early and got a seat against the aft window. The steaks were just average, I believe mine was overdone (not hard to do since I like mine pretty rare, and fillet can overcook pretty quickly). Meanwhile all our friends gushed about Le Bistro, so we're going there on our next cruise and skipping Cagney's.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think I'm just a steak snob since use to eating at the best steak restaurants in Florida all serving USDA prime beef. The steaks at Cagneys to me are really nothing special at all. In my opinion the steaks sold at my grocery store are better. I always enjoy Le Bistro. I agree the lamb is great. I just never leave Le Bistro truly full. The lamb I wish was twice the size and I'm known as a very small eater.

I am also a fan of the premium steakhouses in Tampa, especially Berns. While Idont expect Cagneys to be that good, what steakhouse would you compare it to?

Cagney' s for us! I've included a picture of what was left of my husband's cowboy ribeye steak! I totally forgot to take a picture before he started! You can tell by the bone how huge it was! I ordered the lobster and the pork belly appetizer was to die for!

Cowboy ribeye

61984b37187b56ac90637b4757c072e6.jpg

Lobster

9ae5046704a4a90a886e402e42aef829.jpg

Pork belly

efddeacb11c05fbeea4a03c84d14b3ef.jpg

With that said, we really loved the hibachi restaurant Teppanyaki

Edited by ksmcdonald

Has anyone had the lamb in Le Bistro since they changed to the new roast lamb loin entree? I loved the rack of lamb last year, but wonder if the new one is still as good? Is it better to get the filet and wait to get the lamb chops at Cagney's?

On the Dawn in August Le Bistro's steak was so much better than Cagney's steak that we changed another night's dining from Cagney's to Le Bistro.

Cagney's does have more of the overall variety of foods I like, but there was no comparison in steak quality. I had heard that before, but hadn't ordered steak in Le Bistro, and found it hard to believe that they'd out-do the steakhouse. Well, they did - not even close.

Edited by DaisyGoldberg

My opinion on the Cagneys vs Le Bistro debate changed last week on the Epic, with the updated menus. The problem was that I adored the Le Bistro lamb dish that was on the old menu - and now it isn't there at all. I had the peppercorn beef fillet instead, which while excellent just wasn't the best lamb I've ever had.

So therefore I have to place Cagneys as the favourite instead, although even then I was a little bored of it having had it twice in a week and it too had a reduced menu. That chocolate cake though. Wow that's good.

Cagney's is my favorite. Service at Le Bistro is hands down the best and the food is delicious. I'm a meat and potatoes girl so that's why I prefer Cagney's. I have been on the Gem, Jewel, Pearl, and Breakaway. The Breakaway had the worst service for Cagney's by far. Rushed, forgot drinks, apps, etc. I just think the Breakaway has too many guests for the amount of personnel. Overall I love NCL. The MDR's are really good as well. Had an excellent chicken Cordon Bleu in the MDR and the turkey lasagna was great. La Cucina, was by far the worst meal. We wanted to get to a show and got there 2 hours early. Since the lasagna was so good in the MDR, I ordered it. Burnt on the bottom...I mean truly burnt. It was 1/2 layer of burnt. The manager came back and said he could bring me another dish. Too late. We had to get to our show and I was totally turned off to having another lasagna. I also noticed that those at the next table barely ate their meals. The manager also asked them if he could bring another dish and they said no. We all like different things. It's all perspective. Tip...O'Sheehan's has the best mozzarella sticks and chicken tenders. Fish and chips are good but they use cod which is very flaky. Kind of falls apart. Just my two cents....maybe a lot more than that. :) Either way, there is always something great to eat on an NCL cruise.

My opinion on the Cagneys vs Le Bistro debate changed last week on the Epic, with the updated menus. The problem was that I adored the Le Bistro lamb dish that was on the old menu - and now it isn't there at all. I had the peppercorn beef fillet instead, which while excellent just wasn't the best lamb I've ever had.

So therefore I have to place Cagneys as the favourite instead, although even then I was a little bored of it having had it twice in a week and it too had a reduced menu. That chocolate cake though. Wow that's good.

Is the lamb loin dish gone from the Le Bistro menu? I thought that replaced the rack of lamb. So disappointed but the filet sounds good too.

I love escargot so the bistro has an edge there but while my sister Susan likes the creamy sauce covered Lobster at lebistro better I preferred the steamed whole lobster at Cagney's more. Both were equal in quality I think the only difference is in preference.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

You're right. No more lobster in Specialty restaurants! :(. :mad: :eek:

Only in MDR for an upcharge. :rolleyes:

When did this "no lobster at Specialty restaurants" take place. I was just there 4 months ago and I got the lobster at Cagneys (see picture above).

Are you saying that since then they have changed the menu?

We ate at both for the first time last week on the Escape and preferred Le Bistro over Cagneys. Cagneys was good, but was disappointed that the surf and turf was with shrimp and no lobster:( We just loved everything about Le Bistro.

Ooh don't know which 3 specialities we should do on our Escape cruise next year now. I loved Cagneys on the Epic and want to try La Cucina as I hear it's got much better and we love Italian food. My partner would like to return to Moderno although I'm 'meh' about that. But now even though we don't like french food I'm worried we're missing out if we skip Le Bistro! #CruiseShipProblems

On the Dawn in August Le Bistro's steak was so much better than Cagney's steak that we changed another night's dining from Cagney's to Le Bistro.

Cagney's does have more of the overall variety of foods I like, but there was no comparison in steak quality. I had heard that before, but hadn't ordered steak in Le Bistro, and found it hard to believe that they'd out-do the steakhouse. Well, they did - not even close.

Agreed - we found the steak at Le Bistro to be much better than Cagney's when we were on the Jade.

Le Bistro and Cagney's fans - weigh in on your favorite!

Le Bistro, hands down. I would literally book another cruise just for Le Bistro!

Their filet is much better than the steak I had at Cagney's. The mussels are to die for. They have great appetizers and from what I saw fantastic desserts, although I was too stuffed every time I ate there to try any.

I feel like Cagney's is like any other mid-scale steak house where Le Bistro is true fine dining.

We prefer Le Bistro. They have selections we don't usually get locally. In June on the Gem we were disappointed in some of the changes. On the Dawn in December and we look forward to another on-board comparison of the two. [emoji3]