Le Bistro vs Cagney's - Which is your FAVORITE, and why?

Sandman799

Le Bistro and Cagney's fans - weigh in on your favorite! With the new Specialty Dining Plans just coming out, many who've never been to either one are wondering which to plan on eating at. The favorites seem to be Cagney's and Le Bistro, with each having their fans who swear theirs is far superior than the other and who don't understand why everyone else doesn't think the same!

To help those of us buying the new Specialty Dining Packages plan our dinners, which of these two (in your opinion) is the best to eat at if you could only pick one, or if you could pick just one to visit a second time in one cruise, and which are the "must-try" entrees? Sell us on why your favorite really is the BEST! Thanks in advance for your input! Let the debate begin....:D

Cagneys for us. It is a true steakhouse and lives up to its name. Le Bistro on the other hand lends itself out as a french restaurant. We have enjoyed much better. But...that being said...they are both worth the specialty restaurant surcharge!

I agree, Carol. Le Bistro used to be my favorite, but I ordered the lobster dish and was disappointed, and the escargot were not hot. The cream of mushroom soup remains the best I ve ever tasted. Cagneys steaks are very good, and the shrimp cocktail is great, but I'd like a better variety of appetizers. It's a very close race, but I'm giving the edge to Cagneys!

Never had good luck with Cagney's. Never thought the steak was that special there.

Le Bistro was always outstanding. The muscles, lobster, fruits de mer, creme brule, etc. were top notch. I didn't have the steak at Le Bistro, but the consensus from most people claim that it's better than the ribeyes at Cagney's.

Cagneys!! We even went back a second night and it was just as good as the first time. I enjoyed the lobster and shrimp. My husband loved the steaks! We both liked the short ribs appetizer! Wonderful flavor, piping hot food, and superior service both times! Le Bistro, for us the service was slow (typical french dining experience) food was lukewarm when served, but we enjoyed the fondue. If I had to pick one, it would definately be Cagneys!

Le Bistro and Cagney's fans - weigh in on your favorite! With the new Specialty Dining Plans just coming out, many who've never been to either one are wondering which to plan on eating at. The favorites seem to be Cagney's and Le Bistro, with each having their fans who swear theirs is far superior than the other and who don't understand why everyone else doesn't think the same!

To help those of us buying the new Specialty Dining Packages plan our dinners, which of these two (in your opinion) is the best to eat at if you could only pick one, or if you could pick just one to visit a second time in one cruise, and which are the "must-try" entrees? Sell us on why your favorite really is the BEST! Thanks in advance for your input! Let the debate begin....:D

Cagneys.....hands down! And don't get me wrong....we like Le Bistro too and manage to eat 2-3 times at each during each cruise....but as others have posted.....the escargot at Le Bistro is NEVER hot anymore.....love the mushroom soup....but that thing that they call "lobster" is more like a can of creamed soup with some chopped up seafood in it.....

Side dishes at Cagneys are really good.....salads as well.....the quality of the filets and ribeyes are great....and I am PICKY about meat!

I am somewhat of a Francophile so Le Bistro is my fave.

Plus the decor & ambience I prefer to the diner-like feel of Cagneys

on the Gem (cannot speak to other ships).

And lastly, I live near NYC which has the best steakhouses

so Cagney's doesn't do it for me.

Le Bristro for sure,for us. We like the atmosphere, the service and food choices. They have a good cut of beef for steak lovers, the great rack of lamb, the appitizers are better and above and beyound the service. We have never had, what I would call really good service in Cagney's, not personal service feeling, more like a basic land steak house. I am not saying it was bad, but nothing that makes you feel like you are out for a special dinner. Le Bistro almost always makes us feel that way. We also have had both very good and not so good steaks in Cagney's. We always go to le Bistro and Modernos. We do not always go to Cagney's.

Le Bistro is our favorite. Nothing wrong with Cagney's. Also, like all the other specialty restaurants.

We have a couple of great restaurants in our area that have great steaks, but no real French restaurant.

When we went to Cagneys they had an amaing salad bar where everything eas fresh and scrumptious .we had a special order of seared tuna .......made by the executive chef it was the very best ..ever

Deelicious food. Ambianceand service

Does ?cagney still ofer the salad bar ...not to be missed

It's a toss up. My first Le Bistro experience on Getaway was not too impressive, and I'd never return to the restaurant on that ship. It's like eating in a closet, with tables practically on top of one another, and no windows to the ocean, etc. We enjoyed it much better on Epic.

As far as the food.. We like the appetizer/starter choices much better at Le Bistro. At Cagney's, we like the side dishes better, since you can select whichever ones you want; whereas, at Le Bistro, certain ones come with the meal.

Le Bistro 100%, the food and service was amazing. I liked the elegant intimate setting. Its dark outside what is there to see?

Cagney's staff is overwhelmed and under motivated. They could care less and offer minimal service. Good luck getting your water glass refilled or if they bring you the wrong item getting it corrected. Our last 2 dinners in Cagney's where such a disappointment we will not be returning on the Escape. The food was good but not great. IMO like Longhorn

Le Bistro is my favorite. I love the mushroom soup. Last time I tried the duck entree. It was out of this world! I also love the lamb and used to enjoy the Chateaubriand, which is no longer on the menu.

Also, in April they customized a vegan dinner for my niece and she loved it. It was a portabella mushroom stack.

On previous cruises...I thought LeBistro was good..not great...THEN last week had the filet with green peppercorn sauce and was blown away...:D

Also went to Cagneys for first time...it was good..but Le Bistro's steak was better..

As far as the food.. We like the appetizer/starter choices much better at Le Bistro. At Cagney's, we like the side dishes better, since you can select whichever ones you want; whereas, at Le Bistro, certain ones come with the meal.

I was able to swap around my side dishes at Le Bistro. Although it probably depends on the waiter.

I did think the sides were tastier at Cagney's though. More conventional but much better executed.

Edited by cadien

Cagney's and the Italian place are tied. I've never been much of a French food kind of guy.

I like Le Bistro because I love French food. I had bouillabaisse last year on the Getaway. So good. There are not very many French restaurants in driving distance in my area.

Le Bistro is 1st place with Cagney's a close 2nd and the Italian place right up there in 3rd place! Le Bistro has a lot of choices that aren't steak which is good for me as I am not a steak every night kind of gal.