Le Bistro vs Cagney's - Which is your FAVORITE, and why?

Sandman799

My wife was on the Gem last month and tells me that La Bistro was amazing. Cagney's was good, but not great. Apparently I make a steak just as good as they do, if not better.

Ditto here. Knowing how to cook your own steak to perfection can be a curse.

Unless it's dry-aged beef, I'm usually not carried away with any restaurant steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We haven't been on NCL recently - but are looking at a potential cruise. We enjoyed the specialty restaurants on Epic & Spirit. In the past Cagney's was our Top, Le Bistro 2nd & Teppanyaki 3rd. We also have enjoyed La Cucina & Moderno.

We are looking @ a cruise on the Jewel in December - does anyone have specific restaurant recommendations for the Jewel itself?

Thanks -- Von & John :)

Le Bistro by far. The steak is just as good if not better and the variety of other options is far better. I have consistently had better meals at Le Bistro then at Cagney's (same goes for service). BTW, I had the Entrecote for two on my own last time at no surcharge. I had UDP. Not sure if they were suppose to do that but they did anyway. As always, it was exceptional...... but man is that a lot of meat. I skipped desert. BTW coffee at Le Bistro is French Press: hands down the best coffee on board with the exception of the Lavazza coffee you pay for at the Main Bar.

Back when we had the chateaubriand at Le Bistro. Sad that this is no longer on the menu. Was wondering if the Entrecote for two was a similar thing?

As for the question, I would lean toward Le Bistro because the experience is more special, but we have had really good meals at both.

I prefer Le Bistro - no question. I've dined at both restaurants on every one of my NCL sailings, and every time Cagney's just wasn't up to par. Both service and steaks were mediocre at best, while I've had some amazing food at Le Bistro. I grew up on a farm raising beef cattle, and have always loved a good steak. If Cagney's started serving Prime beef, then that would be a step in the right direction. But until then, it's Le Bistro for me.

You're right. No more lobster in Specialty restaurants! :(. :mad: :eek:

Only in MDR for an upcharge. :rolleyes:

I heard about the downgraded menus at these restaurants, but just wondering if this means that the lobster bisque has also been removed from the Cagney's menu. Does anyone know?

I heard about the downgraded menus at these restaurants, but just wondering if this means that the lobster bisque has also been removed from the Cagney's menu. Does anyone know?

They did have bisque on the 9/24 sailing, but not much lobster in there... :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app

Someone just posted the new Cagney's menu. The lobster bisque is gone as well as the crab cakes and the pork belly, but they've added beef sliders. The vegetable sides have mostly been removed so no sautéed asparagus which is my favorite. Replacements are mac n' cheese and such.

Prime rib is gone to be replaced with ribs and other type changes.

It's a pretty sparse menu and not one that looks at all upscale. I mean sliders and mac n cheese? This is just sad. Specialty restaurants are supposed to be special. Why are they so intent on ruining these things people enjoyed about Norwegian?

Someone just posted the new Cagney's menu. The lobster bisque is gone as well as the crab cakes and the pork belly, but they've added beef sliders. The vegetable sides have mostly been removed so no sautéed asparagus which is my favorite. Replacements are mac n' cheese and such.

Prime rib is gone to be replaced with ribs and other type changes.

It's a pretty sparse menu and not one that looks at all upscale. I mean sliders and mac n cheese? This is just sad. Specialty restaurants are supposed to be special. Why are they so intent on ruining these things people enjoyed about Norwegian?

The menu posted was from the Jade. Breakaway and Epic had a different menu.

Had the same issue when we were on the Gem. Menus not consistent fleet wide.

Last week's Breakaway menu at Cagney's had Lobster Bisque, and it was tastier than the same at Ocean Blue but with far less chunk lobster in it.

The menu is now harder for those of us who are not steak eaters. I had surf & turf and had only 3 small but tasty shrimp. 3/4 of meal was my Filet mignon, which, much to my surprise, was over cooked. I asked for medium well and got it well and dried out. I don't know if it was the server's error or the kitchen's, as I did not choose to make an issue of it... I had to be going to make a show time and did not feel I had time to wait for a new steak.

Ocean Blue was a far better meal for me, best service hands down, and better food for me even with the extra cost.