Cruise cash bar?

ak66

Has anyone gotten the cruise cash bar? I want to get it for my dad for Father's Day. Dose it seem to be a good idea? How does it work? Does it go straight on his carnival account or is it a gift card?

Cruise Cash Bar provides an immediate credit to a guest's Sail & Sign account which can be applied toward any bar purchases. This credit is good for any bar charge made to their account including alcoholic drinks, juice, soda, water, and coffee shop charges. Cruise Cash Bar is valid for a single voyage and cannot be transferred to future bookings. Cruise Cash Bar is non-refundable and any unused credits will be forfeited.

*Cruise Cash Bar purchases limited to $500 per cabin.

According to this it's a NONrefundable credit on his account. No gift card, certificate, etc.

Only you know if your Dad would use & enjoy something like this.

I would recommend general "cruise cash" over the cruise cash bar because it can be used for any purchase onboard. The only drawback for either is that it is a use it or lose it deal. Any money not used is forfeited at the end of the cruise. Cruise cash bar can only be used on drinks. I think your father will likely have no trouble using up all the cash you give him with either the general cash or the bar. If he doesn't drink much stick with the general cruise cash.

I've gotten it several times as gifts for my hubby and my sister. It appears as an on board credit on the recipient's account but can be used for drinks only and is non refundable so if you give it as a gift you have to make sure the person buys drinks in at least the amount that you send them. It's a nice gesture. You order it from the Fun Shop menu. It can be used for alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks.

I don't understand why anyone would purchase this... it's essentially a gift card that is for drinks only, doesn't come at any discount. Why wouldn't you buy just a regular gift card that could apply to anything?

I don't understand why anyone would purchase this... it's essentially a gift card that is for drinks only, doesn't come at any discount. Why wouldn't you buy just a regular gift card that could apply to anything?

I guess the same reason people buy gift cards at all instead of just handing over cash. The buyer is intending a specific type of gift with the cruise cash bar.

While I agree that a general cash gift card might be a better way to go, one thing the cruise cash bar gift card can do is substitute for the Cheers card, especially on shorter cruises or port intensive cruises where Cheers may actually be "not worth it" even if you and your cabin mate both drink the 15 drinks a day. Basically your drinks or most of your drinks are paid for in advance. And yes you do have to think about how much you usually spend on drinks, but you're not limited and if your card "runs out" you can still charge to your S&S account.

Honestly, if you have access to them, I would just go to a store in your city that sells the Carnival gift cards. Purchase one of those in the amount you want and give that as a gift. Those can be added to the sign and sale once on board the cruise and can be used to purchase anything on the ship.

I would recommend general "cruise cash" over the cruise cash bar because it can be used for any purchase onboard. The only drawback for either is that it is a use it or lose it deal. Any money not used is forfeited at the end of the cruise. Cruise cash bar can only be used on drinks. I think your father will likely have no trouble using up all the cash you give him with either the general cash or the bar. If he doesn't drink much stick with the general cruise cash.

Unless you get n+x "cruise cash" for every n dollars spent, what's the point? Sounds like a good way to throw money away. Why wouldn't you just pay for what you want, when you want it, and pay the same amount with no risk of losing nonrefundable dollars?

Unless you get n+x "cruise cash" for every n dollars spent, what's the point? Sounds like a good way to throw money away. Why wouldn't you just pay for what you want, when you want it, and pay the same amount with no risk of losing nonrefundable dollars?

Exactly, I do not understand this at all :confused:

So, I bought $75 in cruise cash the other day (using it as a pre-cruise savings account). Money has been withdrawn from my account. No credit shows up on my cruise manager. No email. No receipt. Called Canrnival today, and rep tells me that it will show up as an on-board credit when I check in, and I will not get a receipt ahead of time. Does that sound right? I don't like that idea. Seems like I have to bring bank statements as proof of purchase with me should I show up at port, and no credit on my account. Anyone know?

So, I bought $75 in cruise cash the other day (using it as a pre-cruise savings account). Money has been withdrawn from my account. No credit shows up on my cruise manager. No email. No receipt. Called Canrnival today, and rep tells me that it will show up as an on-board credit when I check in, and I will not get a receipt ahead of time. Does that sound right? I don't like that idea. Seems like I have to bring bank statements as proof of purchase with me should I show up at port, and no credit on my account. Anyone know?

I just got a $50 cruise cash and I did get an email with a conformation number I would keep that if yo did receive one

I purchased the cash bar card from the fun shop as means of prepaying for the minimal amount of drinks I know I would drink. I can see where purchasing this for someone else would present a problem, particularly if you don't know how much they drink. For me, although it would be nice to receive some kind of bargain, I was more interested in prepaying so that my drinks were already covered. I guess it's important to do what makes you comfortable.

I purchased the cash bar card from the fun shop as means of prepaying for the minimal amount of drinks I know I would drink. I can see where purchasing this for someone else would present a problem, particularly if you don't know how much they drink. For me, although it would be nice to receive some kind of bargain, I was more interested in prepaying so that my drinks were already covered. I guess it's important to do what makes you comfortable.

And if you get sick and are not able to drink what you thought you would?

What if I get sick and can't drink anything the entire cruise, including soda? There are no guarantees in life. What if I don't have the money to purchase drinks after I board the cruise versus prepaying so to speak. Anything could happen. I weighed the pros and cons and opted to buy considerably less than I would actually use with the knowledge that if it's a loss, it's just a loss. I wouldn't prepay $500. And if I did become to sick to drink alcohol or soda, I would gladly offer to use the prepayment to get a drink or two for some lucky fellow cruisers.