POA Feb 20-Mar 19/16 Cancelled

dlynn0366

I was booked on the POA Mar 19/16 but received an email from NCL saying bookings from Feb 20 to Mar 19/16 were cancelled as ship will be out of service. So what to do ? Think I've decided with what it was going to cost for airfare & cruise I can do a 5 star resort for a week at Christmas & again in March then look at Hawaii in 2017.

I was booked on the POA Mar 19/16 but received an email from NCL saying bookings from Feb 20 to Mar 19/16 were cancelled as ship will be out of service. So what to do ? Think I've decided with what it was going to cost for airfare & cruise I can do a 5 star resort for a week at Christmas & again in March then look at Hawaii in 2017.

I am booked for April of 2016, I wondering what they are doing to the POA?

Did the email state why they were taking the ship out of service?

They did reimbursing in 2013 so it may be engine problems, although that seems like along time to wait.

At least they've given good lead time for those that are booked.

POA is actually out of service till Sat March 26. So that tells me it may be going into drydock somewhere other than Hawaii. That's over a month.

Edited by Ilovesailing

Makes me kind of concerned at I have a cruise booked for April 2016. Sounds like a refurbishing and mechanical overhaul to me. I hope that NCL gives an explanation I am not booking any airfare until I know what the deal is by NCL. Cancelling airfare is almost impossible these days unless you pay $$$$$$ for the refundable fare.

YIKES

Makes me kind of concerned at I have a cruise booked for April 2016. Sounds like a refurbishing and mechanical overhaul to me. I hope that NCL gives an explanation I am not booking any airfare until I know what the deal is by NCL. Cancelling airfare is almost impossible these days unless you pay $$$$$$ for the refundable fare.

YIKES

My email letter just said out of service from Feb 20 till Mar 19/16 so I'm looking at Mar 26 sailing but hesitant in that what if "out of service" does not go as planned. We own a construction company & while our equipment is not a ship never when they tear these huge engines apart if this is the issue does anything go as planned.

Don't panic or book yet, I should get an answer from my PCC late today as she works evenings.

I also wonder if it is engine problems as the dates are like 9 months out. Would they wait that long.

Edited by Ilovesailing

I am not booking any airfare until I know what the deal is by NCL. Cancelling airfare is almost impossible these days unless you pay $$$$$$ for the refundable fare.

YIKES

That is exactly why one shouldn't book nonrefundable air until six months before at earliest - at least without third party travel insurance that covers cancellations by the cruise line.

Don't panic or book yet, I should get an answer from my PCC late today as she works evenings.

I also wonder if it is engine problems as the dates are like 9 months out. Would they wait that long.

I spoke to my PCC this am & rebooked Mar 26 is same suite. He says they have not been told of why cancellations are happening except he doubted engine issue as they would not wait this long. He feels more likely cosmetic work as new CEO likes ships to look their best.

Edited by dlynn0366

That is exactly why one shouldn't book nonrefundable air until six months before at earliest - at least without third party travel insurance that covers cancellations by the cruise line.

The cost of refundable airfare is 2 to 3 times the cost of the bargain airfare for us living on the west coast. It is still a better bet to buy the cheapest fare on a major airline and pay the cost of a change fee if that becomes necessary. To clarify, I don't book airfare until about 6 weeks out unless there is a GREAT sale. Thanks for reminder though, every travel situation is different.

Edited by gwsster

Kind of annoying that they have sent the cancellation email for March POA but not the BA Jan & Feb 2016.

If your referring to the gaps between cruises it should be announced next week. It's not an easy task if they are trying to find ports, get clearance costs etc. also seeing that it has not been long since the cruises to nowhere had to be stopped.

Edited by Ilovesailing

It would be awesome to cruise from San Francisco on the POA to Honolulu then do the 7 day cruise. Then fly home from Honolulu. I wonder if they will offer this as a cruise?

I hope NCL issues a news brief on what the refurbishment plans are for the POA. I hope that the outcome is really neat as I will be sailing on her the month after the POA returns to Hawaii.

Woot!

Edited by gwsster

We were originally booked on POA for 27.2.16. In November last year we got an email from NCL to say our cruise was cancelled due to the ship going into dry dock. I am now glad I did not rebook for the few weeks after, hope everything is sorted out by our new date in May.

It would be awesome to cruise from San Francisco on the POA to Honolulu then do the 7 day cruise. Then fly home from Honolulu. I wonder if they will offer this as a cruise?

I hope NCL issues a news brief on what the refurbishment plans are for the POA. I hope that the outcome is really neat as I will be sailing on her the month after the POA returns to Hawaii.

Woot!

I just called them to ask that very question. The rep said the dry dock will take place in Hawaii, she will not be coming to the mainland.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I just called them to ask that very question. The rep said the dry dock will take place in Hawaii, she will not be coming to the mainland.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Not sure whom you spoke with.....but she is doing the drydock in San Francisco.

March 15- 26 cruise has been posted.

http://www.ncl.com/vacations/9-to-14-days-pride-of-america-2-guests?ships=4294963223&duration=8053&cruise=1&cruiseHotel=0&cruiseHotelAir=0&cruiseTour=0&numberOfGuests=4294915774&advancedSearch=true

CRUISE PORTS Embark San Francisco (California); Kahului (Maui); Hilo (Hawaii); Kona (Hawaii); Nawiliwili (Kauai); Disembark Honolulu (Oahu)

Edited by Got Tequila?