Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer & Glacier Bay

jormot

We have the option to take the small ship excursion to Tracy Arm via Allen Marine I believe. It picks us up from the ship and we arrive back in Juneau at around 3:3pm. I am curious if this excursion and glacier bay are too similar? There are several options in Juneau we are interested in so we are trying to decide if those are better alternatives since we are already going to glacier bay. Those who have done both I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

We've done two northbound cruises with Glacier Bay, and one Seattle RT with Tracy Arm. Glacier Bay is impressive from its overall size, but Tracy Arm captured me with a majestic beauty and natural splendor. Someone else pointed out that Tracy Arm Fjord is incredibly deep, yet the mountains that poke out of the water on either side are incredibly steep, which tells the tale of some massively tall glaciers. We did the small-boat tour via Allen Marine last year, and we'll be doing it again this year.

I haven't done the 1/2 day trip from the cruise ship but have done Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound 6 times. On the small boat you get much closer to the Glacier and I think the South Sawyer has way more color and calving than anything you will see in Glacier Bay.

On my last trip just a few weeks ago we had two spectacular sunny warm days in Glacier Bay but I still was much more impressed by my trip into Tracy Arm. I'd book the small boat excursion, you can never get too many glaciers

If you do a search for Tracy Arm or Adventure Bound you should find several photo albums I've posted

We have the option to take the small ship excursion to Tracy Arm via Allen Marine I believe. It picks us up from the ship and we arrive back in Juneau at around 3:3pm. I am curious if this excursion and glacier bay are too similar? There are several options in Juneau we are interested in so we are trying to decide if those are better alternatives since we are already going to glacier bay. Those who have done both I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

You will not be disappointed taking the small boat.

There is nothing the same with these two sailing areas. In my opinion- it is "necessary" to take the add on boat tour of Tracy Arm. It is grossly superior to cruise ship sailing, with cruise ships, very unlikely to get anywhere near the South Sawyer Glacier (never go to the North Sawyer) compared to usually the small boat tours, getting superb glacier viewing and time. I have done this tour, many times with both vendors- Adventure Bound (independent with long port timeframes) and Allen Marine with the cruise ship contract.

. It is grossly superior to cruise ship sailing, with cruise ships, very unlikely to get anywhere near the South Sawyer Glacier (never go to the North Sawyer) .

Never say never, lol . Back in 2008 on the last trip of the Dawn Princess before she was sent "Down Under" the Captain himself really wanted to see the glaciers and actually took us up to the face of the North Sawyer. At the time he mentioned that it was the first time a cruise ship had visited in many, many years. Several years ago I mentioned this to Captain Steve on the Adventure Bound and even he was surprised that the cruise ship had gone to the North Sawyer. He says the channel gets very narrow in places and can be very tricky.

Guess we got a really special treat on that cruise.

I can't speak personally about Glacier Bay, I have never been there myself, BUT just last week we cruised into Tracy Arm and were able to get quite near to Sawyer Glacier. It was BREATHTAKING. I was amazed at the beauty of the whole area.

A lady next to me asked me to take her picture, and when I remarked about the awe-inspiring scenery, she said she had been to Glacier Bay a couple of times before and it was not anywhere near as beautiful as this!

Hope that helps a bit....

Love Glacier Bay if you want to see glaciers. Tracy Arm only has Sawyer, but offers a very different experience. Worth it to do both for glacier seekers....

l40k_wZzVuc -0x8dcnk1TM

Advance to 2:28 in this video. You can see how tiny Sawyer is in relation to the Arm. If you want to see glaciers... Glacier Bay is a must do...

ymZXlxYdHK8

OMzReVZn__M 9ln2wYbk6xY

We did the small boat trip to the sawyer glaciers from Celebrity with Allen Marine a few weeks ago. Transferred from ship at 8 am and met ship in Juneau about 1:30 pm. Wonderful experience. Our ship did get close to the glacier in Tracey Arm. The conditions were perfect for the Solstice to get very close.

• 1 month later...
Is this the one where they pick you up from the cruise ship and you meet up in Juneau?

Tracy Arm Fjord And Glacier Explorer - Celebrity Solstice

The description doesn't really say. :confused:

Read the details, if the description itself isn't enough. On Princess, they provide an itinerary breakdown for each excursion, and this one clearly shows picking up from the ship and delivering you to the ship in Juneau.

It depends on your itinerary. IF you only have Tracy Arm- on your day, then the add on Tracy Arm boat tour, is going to be cheaper and one way in the fjords, picking up at the entrance, and reboarding your cruise ship at Sawyer Glacier, another tour going in the other direction.

IF you have a Juneau port the SAME day- AND Tracy Arm on your itinerary, the boat tour will be ONE way to/from Juneau with reboarding your cruise ship at Sawyer Glacier.

NCL does have a round trip Sawyer Glacier tour on the Pearl which is round trip Juneau, but there are some differences with this particular tour- it is on a fast boat, and is a shorter tour than Adventure Bound. So, you WILL see less, and won't have time for the extended stops of the other tour.

• 8 months later...
It depends on your itinerary. IF you only have Tracy Arm- on your day, then the add on Tracy Arm boat tour, is going to be cheaper and one way in the fjords, picking up at the entrance, and reboarding your cruise ship at Sawyer Glacier, another tour going in the other direction.

IF you have a Juneau port the SAME day- AND Tracy Arm on your itinerary, the boat tour will be ONE way to/from Juneau with reboarding your cruise ship at Sawyer Glacier.

NCL does have a round trip Sawyer Glacier tour on the Pearl which is round trip Juneau, but there are some differences with this particular tour- it is on a fast boat, and is a shorter tour than Adventure Bound. So, you WILL see less, and won't have time for the extended stops of the other tour.

Is the one on the Pearl worth doing then? Glaciers are my big draw to Alaska. Not so interested in whales.

Thanks,

Maggie

Is the one on the Pearl worth doing then? Glaciers are my big draw to Alaska. Not so interested in whales.

Thanks,

Maggie

Most of the Tracy Arm, excursion is not glaciers. Plus there is the chance of distant viewing. With a glacier priority- I would suggest a flight to have a different view of glaciers that shows the vastness and beauty. ;)

Sounds like you are on HAL. I have done Tracy Arm three times now and GB once. There is nothing like the small boat to experience the steep walls of Tracy Arm Fjord. Being able to get close to both glaciers - The north has really receded in recent years and south is not as spectacular as is was in 02 or 03 but still a sight to see.

Glacier Bay is more open and easily viewed from a cruise ship - and the cruise ship will get you very close to them.

I would do this trip in a heartbeat.

Sounds like you are on HAL. I have done Tracy Arm three times now and GB once. There is nothing like the small boat to experience the steep walls of Tracy Arm Fjord. Being able to get close to both glaciers - The north has really receded in recent years and south is not as spectacular as is was in 02 or 03 but still a sight to see.

Glacier Bay is more open and easily viewed from a cruise ship - and the cruise ship will get you very close to them.

I would do this trip in a heartbeat.

No they are on the Pearl. BIG difference since, it would be Tracy Arm, or Juneau. :(

BQ - Did the OP mention anything about being on the Pearl??

I know that a subsequent poster did mention the Pearl.

I have done the RT Juneau from the Pearl - and would do the same trip again :)

Allen Marine does all of the cruise ship tours - as you know.

IMHO both are worth it. The excursion is closer to the water & get closer to the glacier. (The journey to the Sawyer Glaciers is wonderful too.) I wouldn't choose Tracy Arm over Glacier Bay, but I would choose that excursion every time it was offered.

• 2 months later...
We booked Carnival to Glacier Bay next August. Do they do the small boat tour...or is it just Tracy Arm?

Nope you won't get off the ship in Glacier Bay. They only do the small boat tours in Tracy Arm.

Nope you won't get off the ship in Glacier Bay. They only do the small boat tours in Tracy Arm.

Thanks Eaglecw. Was really looking forward to it....we did it back in 2012. Carnival changed our itinerary a couple of weeks ago from Tracy Arm to Glacier Bay. Guess that will save us some $$$.