Oasis review from recent NCL Getaway and Celebrity Cruiser.

Who I am: young 30s male with DW in her late 20's

RCCL OASIS OF THE SEAS

Just off oasis and I have a few observations and comparisons against recent celebrity silhouette and NCL getaway.

Observations:

1. Cool led painting room lights, set up the room really nicely at night and are not harsh on the eyes.

2. Shower temperature is reversed compared to other ships I've been on, may have been just my shower though.

3. Sabor Mexican and vintages tapas exceeded my expectations. I did not think I would like these as no one on the forum talks about them much but they ended up being my two favorite, well, besides shops!

4. Izumi: sushi was as good as other cruise ships sushi, noodle dishes were excellent I had the udon and DG had the spicy Raman. Both were delicious and authentic!

5. Central 150: I found this to be the worst choice we made, the food was creative but did not go well together. I will say as a sidenote that I'm a huge fan of Michael's genuine in Miami so I will try that restaurant on the quantum ships.

6. Giovanni's table: pretty good food here, waiter was juggling too many tables so service was lacking a bit but it's probably due to the fact that they sent a 12 top right when we were seated.

7. Chops: great! but I still prefer Murano on celebrity and Palo/Remy on disney more, it feels like the waiters just are not up to the caliber as they are on DCL/celebrity, same thing go's with the food.

8. Buffet is a notch below NCL and two notches below celebrity. Again this is a Personel opinion so calm down! I went twice but did not eat on the second trip as it confirmed my opinion of mediocre food!

9. Neighborhood balconies are unique but I miss my ocean view balcony! Did not utilize balcony even 10% as much as I normally do, so I personally will not book again, a cabin crawl would have been sufficient enough!

10. Shower was the same "tube" enclosure as celebrity but it was noticeably smaller, and the smallest of the 3 I'm comparing.

11. Room was fine, bathroom a bit small but balcony was large and bed was decent. As I said before I really liked the led painting lights. Interactive TV was really cool, did about everything except pack your bags. Room steward was friendly but mostly just addressed DW. This tends to happen a lot to us, I don't know, maybe I don't seem approachable.

12. Drink package: worth it for me, got the select because I only really drink beer. 289.00 total and I definitely drank more than that in 7 days. They did take away Heineken light from the bars so I was pissed about that. I did grab a lot of non alcoholic frozen drinks during the days.

13. Nightlife: a lot of young teens on the cruise even some in the club trying to get me to buy them drinks (I dident) dazzles was an older crowd (60+). I did enjoy them playing the NBA finals at the aqua theater! That was awesome!

14. Central Park: cool place to chill for a beer at the arbor bar at night and sit by the greenery. Park cafe has the good roast beef sandwiches just like everybody says.

15. Boardwalk: I wish I saw more clowns, carny games, juggling, comedy shows like disneys Boardwalk. That would make this place much better.

16. Royal Promenade: lively shopping mall like atmosphere, I tried sorrentos, pizza was blah. A lot of the merchandise stores or art gallery's were dead all of the cruise but hey, royal leases them out to 3rd parties so it's their problem.

17. Embark: 15 min security line / 25 min check in line even with being gold. Longest I've ever waited to get on a ship. Honestly!

18. Debark: NO WAY WAS I GONNA GO THOUGH THIS HELL, Especially on the ship the size, so, self assist and I was a my house in Boca Raton by 7:15am, even our room Steward said it was a nightmare so no thanks.

19. Overall: A fun cruise, a great ship I will definitely keep it in rotation of the ships I like. If I could do oasis class, solstice class, dream class, breakaway (+) class I would be a happy man, but I still want to try the new princess ships and the quantum class. Maybe the carnival vista but the breeze was a crowded nightmare.

I HOPE THIS HELPS ANY PAST AND FUTURE CRUISERS OF RCCLS's OASIS CLASS.

Soooooo, in your opinion, which ship would an active 15yo football player (on a cruise alone with his cool mom:cool:) like better, the Oasis or Getaway? As you can see in my signature line we've tried a variety and are not really loyal to one line. Carnival is the most bc the port is only a 2:45 min drive.

I'm having a hard time deciding and am waiting for someone to say the right thing for me to decide. HA! He says he wants to cruise for the ship and we've been to most of the ports being offered next summer anyway so those don't really factor in.

Did you try the Brazilian steak house on the Getaway? That looks mighty tasty and may be the tie breaker. Sad, I know.:p

Soooooo, in your opinion, which ship would an active 15yo football player (on a cruise alone with his cool mom:cool:) like better, the Oasis or Getaway? As you can see in my signature line we've tried a variety and are not really loyal to one line. Carnival is the most bc the port is only a 2:45 min drive.

I'm having a hard time deciding and am waiting for someone to say the right thing for me to decide. HA! He says he wants to cruise for the ship and we've been to most of the ports being offered next summer anyway so those don't really factor in.

Did you try the Brazilian steak house on the Getaway? That looks mighty tasty and may be the tie breaker. Sad, I know.:p

Because the oasis is just so much larger, there would be more for your child to do, IMHO he would have fun on either one, I think in this case, the decision should be your personal preference, he will have no shortage of fun on either ship. I'm the same way, been to all the ports and mostly stay on the ship too so it's a tough one, I see Ncl dropping balcony prices in the next few weeks so that makes it a better value. (Think amenity package) whatever you end up trying this time, do the opposite next time. In terms of food I give the getaway a clear advantage although I have not tried the Brazilian place it's on my list for next time.

Hope this helps!

Been on Oasis (2) and Allure and I agree with you with the WJ, it is the worst of all the RCL's fleet. Barely step in I,t as we enjoy the Park Café and the other venues for breakfast & lunch. Did you try the "tutti salad bar" in the MDR on sea days--it's wonderful.

My two cents on Moderno...wouldn't do it again! We love Texas de Brazil and other Brazilian steakhouses, but this one, unfortunately, was awful. Meat was burned and tough.

Aside from that, the Getaway was fantastic!! Your son would probably love the upper sports deck with the rope climbing and plank!

Happy cruising!

My two cents on Moderno...wouldn't do it again! We love Texas de Brazil and other Brazilian steakhouses, but this one, unfortunately, was awful. Meat was burned and tough.

Aside from that, the Getaway was fantastic!! Your son would probably love the upper sports deck with the rope climbing and plank!

Happy cruising!

Thank you for that! We'll probably just drive to New Orleans to get our Texas de Brazil fix instead of using it to decide a ship:p

Thanks for your review. I thought it was very balanced. We haven't been on Royal in several years and are going on the Oasis in August. I'm struggling a little that it may not feel like we are on a ship. I like to see the water. The neighborhood balconies sounded awful to me and I am confident the ocean view balcony was the correct choice for us.

I've been reading a lot of negatives about Royal and I'm hoping they're not all true. I'm disappointed to hear about the buffet....we tend to eat in them for breakfast, lunch, and even some dinners. Sounds like I might need to make a list of dining possibilities so I'll know where to go!

I think we'll consider self-disembarkation too.

We're doing the Getaway 4 weeks before the Oasis and I'm really looking forward to that! Loved Epic & Breakaway.

I did not try the MDR because I wanted to get in all the extras in on this cruise. I'm sure the MDR is good food.

I've been cruising for a while and I've learned one important thing. Your attitude going onto the ship really sets up how your trip will go. If you sit here reading a million negative reviews and step on your ship, you will try to bring that negative out and it will affect your trip as well. Point is, I don't think you can have a bad time on oasis or getaway. They are 2 new huge ships with a lot to do for everyone!

amscene1,

Any feedback on Wipeout Cafe, Doghouse or the pub? Did you try the zipline? We have a Central Park balcony so I appreciate your observations. We also have the premium beverage package. Buckets of beer are not included in the package, are they?

Thanks

amscene1,

Any feedback on Wipeout Cafe, Doghouse or the pub? Did you try the zipline? We have a Central Park balcony so I appreciate your observations. We also have the premium beverage package. Buckets of beer are not included in the package, are they?

Thanks

None of the packages will give you more than one drink/bottle at a time.

amscene1,

Thanks

Just enjoyed the pub out of those, the menu has been cutback from what you find on the old list. About 30 beers on the list, decent selection.

No buckets but you can always go to the pool deck with a small lunch type cooler and make your rounds, on sea days there are 4 bars open across and on top of one another, grab 4 beers for the cooler and plop down at the pool without having to refuel. I saw a few people hopping for beers.

Edited by amscene1

We did Geataway and tried almost all restraunts Brazian was only one no one would eat at again and would gladly have gone anywhere ellse salad bar there was good meat was just poor quality. We did enjoy Getaway very much

Am currently on board Oasis and eating in all specialty spots, did 150 CP for both nights menu, and totally didn't like the second one offered, waste of $$. Izumi Habachi was fantastic, Chops and Gios are fine, same as always. Been to Windjammer for lunch twice but just for salads as nothing else looked appealing. Lunch and bfast in MDR are fine and service was good at the times we went. Sandwiches were lacking substance and cold in Cafe Prom, and CP Cafe just so so for us. Dog house fine, and Sabor was great amount of food for the dinner menu at $20. We split one order and left totally stuffed, could have had three people share all that food! Expect the price to increase down the road. We are Diamond level and enjoying all our drinks and service so far. Celebrity food is hands down much better choice for us

Am currently on board Oasis and eating in all specialty spots, did 150 CP for both nights menu, and totally didn't like the second one offered, waste of $$. Izumi Habachi was fantastic, Chops and Gios are fine, same as always. Been to Windjammer for lunch twice but just for salads as nothing else looked appealing. Lunch and bfast in MDR are fine and service was good at the times we went. Sandwiches were lacking substance and cold in Cafe Prom, and CP Cafe just so so for us. Dog house fine, and Sabor was great amount of food for the dinner menu at $20. We split one order and left totally stuffed, could have had three people share all that food! Expect the price to increase down the road. We are Diamond level and enjoying all our drinks and service so far. Celebrity food is hands down much better choice for us

I think I had that same "second" menu at cp150 and both of us were not impressed. I agree, celebrities food is better.

For those who sailed on the Oasis class, I will be on Allure in Feb, on other cruises I made my flight plans around noon, is this still an ok time or is getting off the ship so bad that I should make it later?

You get to request a debarktion time. On our recent Oasis cruise, we asked for late debarkation. We were in the last group called at 10:30 a.m. and were in our car at about 11:45. If you ask for early departure, you should be fine. The airport is very close to the ship... about 10 minutes by taxi. :)

amscene1, thank you for posting! We are looking at Getaway or Sihouette for next year. Which one was your favorite? We have been on both NCL and Celebrity, so we know more or less what to expect from a cruiseline standpoint.

I'm so ready in my mind to book NCL for 2016 but every time I'm close to do it, my girlfriend and I go like " naaaaa". We were on then NCL Sky and we didn't like it all, is better than carnival imagination but not superior to royal majestic. Ever since we are super scared to book Ncl again but most people that are loyal to royal are going to Ncl.

Since you have experience with Ncl newest ship, how is the service? Do they say good morning , hello ,to the point in which you want them to shut up or do they try not to make eyes contact and just run from you ?

Thanks