Newbie impressions: Solo on the Getaway

perditax

Unfortunately I don't know--a more experienced cruiser would probably know for sure. I'm guessing not, though. I think they would have let me have more than one non-a la carte entree though.

From what I understand you can now buy the passes online ahead of time. This wasn't true for my sailing.

I don't want to 100% promise your experience will be the same (not even sure of the layout of Escape's spa), and maybe I just got lucky and people were not interested in the thermal suite on my sailing, but there was never a time I couldn't get a padded lounger, there was never a time I wanted a tile lounger and couldn't get one (I only did them 2x though), and there was never a time I couldn't get in at least one of the two main water features without having to be close enough to other people to listen in on their conversations. And I was in the thermal suite on average two times a day throughout my cruise, at all kinds of hours.

The ONLY warning I would make is that the chlorine smell is pretty strong. I grew up in over chlorinated swimming pools, though, and didn't really think about it at the time.

I usually alternated between the citrus waters and the hot teas at the beverage station. There is an unlimited supply of clean towels and robes at hand, and there was almost always a crew member following behind people getting in and out of the water features with a sort of water broom to make sure there were no puddles.

Hello and thank you again for your excellent review. I can confirm that you can book the spa pass ahead of sailing. My upcoming Getaway cruise is 90 days out today and the spa pass finally became available. $279.00 for 12 days. Seeing as how this cruise has 6 sea days (which I love! :)) I thought the spa pass was the better idea than trying to run on board early to try to get a Vibe pass. I know they are different experiences as I have done both but I think I will be happy with my choice! :)

I try to look at things from a big-picture perspective. I just like to see how all the pieces fit on whatever topic I get interested in. Since I'm only six (well, now seven) months down on this topic, when I saw all the uproar on CC I figured one of two things must true:

1) It's always been like this, and always will be like this.

2) I picked a bad time to start cruising.

As painful as this practice is for me, I'm going to straddle the fence. I'll offer up a third option; piggybacking what fshagan stated. As a person in IT I'm sure you'll get the gist.

3) Change (in most things) is occurring at an exponential rate.

Due to advanced technology, not only is Social media playing a role in the travel scene (which is probably the biggest factor in this particular discussion); but industrial advances, a more global economy, and stream-lined business practices are shaping the cruise industry. Not to mention old-fashioned supply and demand (did I mention my first HUGE cruise ship was 23,000 GT?).

In my opinion, NCL has always been an industry leader in innovation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (I have what I believe to be the secret to why NCL has a nickle and dime reputation that I'll share if you promise not to tell anyone). Innovations like the studio cabin you mentioned or waterfront dining are one of the many reasons NCL's is staying in the game.

Of course, other lines are innovative. The Oasis class ships look pretty amazing. Not to mention the Virtual Inside Cabins which look very interesting for last-minute budget minded trips or as options for solo travelers looking to get a balcony feel.

I'm like a chameleon when it comes to what I look for in a vaca. For example, when I sailed the Mediterranean I was looking for the trip with the overall best itinerary to meet my needs and Princess delivered a fabulous product. HAL won my Alaska business with their 14 day itinerary (not to mention HAL has a nitch in the Alaska market). I've found RCL to be a great fit for girl trips due to the adult-only solarium concept and the fact that my girls like to hang at the pool all day; plus they have a fun interactive night scene with games like Quest. I chose the Breakaway last year because one thing the Away trips do poorly is pool time, which doesn't matter when I travel with my significant other. Instead; I wanted the most time in Bermuda and accidentally fell in love the waterfront concept. In fact, that's the biggest reason I'm sailing the Getaway again in a few weeks. Romantic, take your time, delicious meals, outside in the ocean breeze, salt in the air, glass of wine and my man.... ahhhhh. And no matter how much I love waterfront dining (did I mention I love the waterfront dining?); it will matter nothing when I book a girls cruise next April, as the girls and I look for maximum pool time and a well laid out evening buffet (neither of which make the Away ships high on my list).

Sorry for the rambling reply, but what I'm trying to say is that this is a GREAT time to start cruising. Do I miss free wine and included gratuities? Of course. Am I glad I now have free fall water-slides (and waterfront dining)? Absolutely. If you liked the Getaway for what she is, I suspect you'll enjoy most ships for what they offer. Instead of brand loyalty, I've found more success evaluating what I'm hoping to experience and booking from there.

Over the last 30 years cruising has remained the same, only much different :). I wish you 40 years of happy Sailing!

cheryl

PS: I almost forgot, and you swore not to tell my secret..... My personal rational on why NCL has a nickle and dime reputation comes from the early 90's when not only were they the first to launch specialty dining at an additional cost BUT... are you ready for this one....................which had cruisers in an uproar....................An ice cream stand (I believe it was Ben and Jerry's) they wheeled out pool side on sea days that offered up shakes, cones, and Sundays for a flat rate of $2.00. I really think it was the ice cream stand that did them in and I blame it all on Ben and Jerry. Pinky swear.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

fshagan, thank you also for your input and perspective. I really appreciate it.

And how's this for a laugh? When I was in my late teens/early 20s I used to run a multi-line BBS that was part of FidoNet. >.> (I started out online very young and at 300 baud.) It was at its biggest right before consumer ISPs started exploding. But back then I wasn't very interested in anything that wasn't computer-centric, so I wasn't reading about non-tech hobbies like travel. Because I lived in Florida I did go to WDW pretty often and eventually I ended up (post-BBS days, mid late 90s) on rec.arts.disney.parks, but I was never part of that 'in' crowd (sounds like you probably know the people I mean). I was also young and broke back then so I was mostly looking to score FLR discounts at value resorts. :)

Anyway, it's always interesting to know that it's 'the more things change the more they stay the same'. :)

Small world time here ... I was the Conference Coordinator (head moderator) for RelayNet (RIME) in the late 1980s early 1990s. I ran a single line BBS for a while using GAP BBS (and even wrote some door games and report programs for Sysops).

You saw the same thing that happens here happen in USENET on rec.arts.disney.parks ... the "familiarity breeds contempt" concept was alive and well there, with people going into great detail about light bulbs being out or paint flaking at the bottom of a post near Pirates of the Caribbean. Someone not reading USENET would never even notice it. A lot of those guys in rec.arts.disney.parks went on to fame and fortune (Dusty Sage who founded snopes.com and Al Lutz, for example). You and me, not so much I guess!

Small world time here ... I was the Conference Coordinator (head moderator) for RelayNet (RIME) in the late 1980s early 1990s. I ran a single line BBS for a while using GAP BBS (and even wrote some door games and report programs for Sysops).

You saw the same thing that happens here happen in USENET on rec.arts.disney.parks ... the "familiarity breeds contempt" concept was alive and well there, with people going into great detail about light bulbs being out or paint flaking at the bottom of a post near Pirates of the Caribbean. Someone not reading USENET would never even notice it. A lot of those guys in rec.arts.disney.parks went on to fame and fortune (Dusty Sage who founded snopes.com and Al Lutz, for example). You and me, not so much I guess!

Oh wow. QuickBBS here. Do you remember a chat program called ZChat? My roommates coded it after I bugged them about it, it was a chat program to handle multi-line BBS's and we ended up selling it for a while. (Memory is rusty but it was probably QuickBBS only, or QBBS-type systems.) I have only a vague amount of fame from that era in that I managed to intentionally get a viral email forward going (based on frustration with exactly the kinds of emails that ended up on snopes in the 90s). So yeah, fame not so much. :) I'm almost positive we did use relaynet, but I have clearer memories of the nightly FidoNet poll.

...and ironically I now kind of hate social media. These kids, my lawn.

Hey girl! Woke up at 1 am, logged onto CC, and found your review without referring back to our convo. Awesome read! You've got a great style of travel writing. If you write well people will follow. Trust me!

Your concerns based upon the other review you read about the upcoming DCL voyage... I really don't think you have anything to worry about. You have a great ability to manage expectations. You already get the fact that, yes, you are on a cruise ship with 4k other people so you will see them particularly at typical busy times for specific venues/activities. There will be bottlenecks and you see it's not just a Disney cruise thing. It's just a natural thing whether you're on land or sea. There are quiet places to be on the Dream. Cove Cafe. Concierge lounge during non-peak times. There's lots of places. I've sailed the Dream maaaany times. Look forward to sailing her again. Seriously hope to find you down the hall from us. I looked on my deck plan card (hubby talked it out of a Future Cruise Desk rep a few years ago) and our staterooms are pretty close! I've had a bump out verandah before. They're fabulous! You'll love it. We have one for our Sept 2016 Dream cruise.

I found your studio so intriguing and I would love to sail one someday. I love the dedicated lounge space. That's a great idea!

The thermal suite, I think, will be a must for me on the Escape next year for 2 reasons: because it looks fabulous and the showers will be my go-to while sailing with my boys. I have never used a Rainforest Room on any of the Disney ships. I don't think I'd bother unless it was a Dream class ship because they have the hot tubs. Not as extensive as the water feature you experienced but at least it's more than just saunas and some tile loungers. I think I will take advantage of it this go around. I'll try to make time anyway. It's so hard to find time for everything!

Your review was fabulous. Thoroughly enjoyed! I hope you do something for the Dream cruise.

Oh! Internet on the Disney ships is by the megabyte, not minutes. My experience has been good. It's fast. Be sure to logon & claim those 50 free mbs before midnight on embarkation day. They're nice to stack. I love being able to iMessage with my fellas back home while I'm away with the girls. I am much more comforted at the thought that if they really need me I'm there. They would rather die than bug me while I'm away, I know, but just knowing we are still connected settles the momma nerve in a huge way.

Okay. I'll stop talking. Hope to get that other reply out to you tomorrow while I have a day to rest. Still much to say about all that other stuff. ;)

See ya soon!

As painful as this practice is for me, I'm going to straddle the fence. I'll offer up a third option; piggybacking what fshagan stated. As a person in IT I'm sure you'll get the gist.

3) Change (in most things) is occurring at an exponential rate.

Due to advanced technology, not only is Social media playing a role in the travel scene (which is probably the biggest factor in this particular discussion); but industrial advances, a more global economy, and stream-lined business practices are shaping the cruise industry. Not to mention old-fashioned supply and demand (did I mention my first HUGE cruise ship was 23,000 GT?).

In my opinion, NCL has always been an industry leader in innovation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (I have what I believe to be the secret to why NCL has a nickle and dime reputation that I'll share if you promise not to tell anyone). Innovations like the studio cabin you mentioned or waterfront dining are one of the many reasons NCL's is staying in the game.

Thank you again for the added perspective. I really enjoy reading your take on the situation.

It also gives me confidence in my own intention to try lots of different lines. (Also, the ice cream thing is hilarious.)

When I try to be as rational as possible about it, I'm probably the kind of person who would benefit from unbundling. I don't drink for the most part (maybe a drink with dinner one or two nights), and the kind of sweets you pay extra for (gelato or stale cupcakes or whatever) are kind of lost on me. I'm not even sure I would be as put off by a la carte dining if the specialty restaurants on GA had impressed me at all. Which in turn means there's no real reason for me PERSONALLY to complain about a la carte dining, because I can't imagine myself making a real effort to go to the specialties if I went on GA again anytime soon. (I would most likely hit the MDRs a lot more than I did.)

I suppose it's just down to the same thing a lot of people are saying: "quit making so many weird changes so fast, you weirdos."

sweetpee, glad you got a chance to read it. Don't worry about our other convo, I know I spammed you a bit. :)

Edited by perditax

sweetpee, glad you got a chance to read it. Don't worry about our other convo, I know I spammed you a bit. :)

:D

I thought I was spammin' on you. Then vanished. Never ever ever be a landlord...at least if it's a house you love. When other people disregard your home (it was my home, I love that house, logistics dictate we can't live there right now) it hurts your heart then there's anger. It's been tough. Our bodies are just too old for scrubbing and cleaning like that. I'd hire out the work but nobody does the job I do...again, because it's not their home. Anywhoo, off to our convo to crank out my thoughts while I'm sitting at my MacBook and can type with a proper keyboard. Much faster than tap-tap-tapping with 2 fingers on my ipad. LOL!

Thank you for sharing your experience with this fabulous review! I am going with a group of 10 in January on the Getaway. It will be my first time on NCL (generally go on Princess or Carnival) and I have a solo cabin booked. Really looking forward to being able to break away from all of them for a bit :-) They are in three balcony cabins in a row, so I can hang out there also if I want some balcony time. I am going to nab a spa pass when the go on sale 75 days too. I look forward to your review of your DCL trip also. Keep up your fantastic writing!

Thanks again for the kind words!

So I thought I was a genius for using the ikea storage cubes in the studio, but of course someone already thought of these for cruise ships:

...about 5:30 in.

(I didn't realize even Target made foldable ones now.)

Edited by perditax

I enjoyed your review immensely! I will be staying in a studio cabin in 2016. I was wondering if it was possible to get cups of black coffee from the studio lounge? I see there is a machine with coffee drinks but I prefer my coffee plain!

Thanks in advance!

Awesome review! I've yet to sail NCL, but after your review I'm thinking about it more and more. I've enjoyed your comments on disboards quite a bit and am really excited to read your review of the Dream.

We didn't love our 1st ever cruise, which was a 3 night on the Dream, not at the fault of DCL by any means, we just sucked as first time cruisers. I'm so happy we gave cruising a 2nd shot and tried the Fantasy, we totally fell in love with cruising! We've got our 4th DCL cruise coming up in about 6 weeks then are jumping ship to try the new CCL Vista next June. Our plan wax to try an Oasis class ship in 2017 but now I'm researching NCL, based largely on your review. BTW, I'd buy your book in a heartbeat as well.

Finally, this goes to all the posters on this trip report........

You all are amazing! This is the first posting I've ever read on any cruise forum that remained positive, upbeat and a true joy to read all the comments. This is my first time reading anything on the NCL boards and loved it. I wish you all very happy and safe journeys.

Awesome review! I've yet to sail NCL, but after your review I'm thinking about it more and more. I've enjoyed your comments on disboards quite a bit and am really excited to read your review of the Dream.

We didn't love our 1st ever cruise, which was a 3 night on the Dream, not at the fault of DCL by any means, we just sucked as first time cruisers. I'm so happy we gave cruising a 2nd shot and tried the Fantasy, we totally fell in love with cruising! We've got our 4th DCL cruise coming up in about 6 weeks then are jumping ship to try the new CCL Vista next June. Our plan wax to try an Oasis class ship in 2017 but now I'm researching NCL, based largely on your review. BTW, I'd buy your book in a heartbeat as well.

Finally, this goes to all the posters on this trip report........

You all are amazing! This is the first posting I've ever read on any cruise forum that remained positive, upbeat and a true joy to read all the comments. This is my first time reading anything on the NCL boards and loved it. I wish you all very happy and safe journeys.

Thanks! I'm really glad you liked it. I'll try to do something similar for my upcoming DCL trip, just not sure which board. :)

It seems like several DISboarders are excited about the upcoming NCL Escape. I think it's going to be doing the same itinerary that GA did when I was on it, once it gets to Miami, so I guess that might be something to check out.

I don't know why, but something about RCCL has turned me off a bit, not sure what it is (although a specific poster on DIS didn't help), just hasn't caught my imagination though. CCL, on the other hand, seems to have a lot of happy people, especially on the newer ships.

I enjoyed your review immensely! I will be staying in a studio cabin in 2016. I was wondering if it was possible to get cups of black coffee from the studio lounge? I see there is a machine with coffee drinks but I prefer my coffee plain! Thanks in advance!

Tarlly, it didn't do straight black coffee AFAIK, but you could always make an 'americano', which means pulling a single espresso shot from the machine and then adding hot water until it's the strength you want. I think I saw some people doing that on my trip.

What a fun review! Thanks so much! I kind of have the same view as you when cruising - it's not perfect but it's pretty darn nice (at least that is what I got out of this)! That said, NCL is my least favorite line but sometimes they have an itinerary I like at a price I can't resist and then it's just fine. I can't wait to read about your upcoming trips and will be watching for them. Happy cruising!!

What a fun review! Thanks so much! I kind of have the same view as you when cruising - it's not perfect but it's pretty darn nice (at least that is what I got out of this)! That said, NCL is my least favorite line but sometimes they have an itinerary I like at a price I can't resist and then it's just fine. I can't wait to read about your upcoming trips and will be watching for them. Happy cruising!!

Thanks, I really appreciate it. :)

Another DCL refugee here - booked w/ DH on Escape with 2 other couples and already know I'll love it because we have realistic expectations! I recognize you from DIS boards. I'm just catching up to you here since I don't read or post as much on CC. I use it more for planning. It sounds like you had a great trip. Enjoy the Dream. The promenade on deck 4 is a nice place to spend time and there are plenty of are adult spaces. The food options are more controlled on DCL. No 24-hour food. Overall I thought the food acceptable and the desserts just so-so. DCL is still an amazing experience but we've always had our children or nephew in tow. I'm interested to hear your comparison since we're now adult-only cruisers (except for future DCL cruises with one current and future grands).

I can't wait to experience the free-style offerings on NCL. And an adult-only one with UBP at that!

Another DCL refugee here - booked w/ DH on Escape with 2 other couples and already know I'll love it because we have realistic expectations! I recognize you from DIS boards. I'm just catching up to you here since I don't read or post as much on CC. I use it more for planning. It sounds like you had a great trip. Enjoy the Dream. The promenade on deck 4 is a nice place to spend time and there are plenty of are adult spaces. The food options are more controlled on DCL. No 24-hour food. Overall I thought the food acceptable and the desserts just so-so. DCL is still an amazing experience but we've always had our children or nephew in tow. I'm interested to hear your comparison since we're now adult-only cruisers (except for future DCL cruises with one current and future grands).

I can't wait to experience the free-style offerings on NCL. And an adult-only one with UBP at that!

Hi and thanks. I really hope all of you DISers end up having a great time on GA and Escape (sounds like Escape is the one to be on). I'm very excited about my upcoming DCL and I'll definitely write about it.

Every time someone new reads the thread I wish CC wasn't so weird about letting you edit past posts, so I could go back and fix broken links, typos, places where I got the day of the week wrong (I laugh every time I see my claim that I was in St Thomas on a Saturday, of all days--the only Saturdays I was on that ship were the days I embarked and disembarked in Miami), and other questionable observations I made. :)

Edited by perditax

I enjoyed your review immensely! I will be staying in a studio cabin in 2016. I was wondering if it was possible to get cups of black coffee from the studio lounge? I see there is a machine with coffee drinks but I prefer my coffee plain!

Thanks in advance!

I stayed in a studio and brought a one cup small coffee pot with me. Worked out great. I never checked the lounge for coffee so can't help you there.

For the OP....I also bring a small fan. It did cool off the studio nicely.

Great review! you made me want to sail NCL now!

1) is NCL only one with solo studios?

2) mind if i ask approximate cost of this studio?

Thank you!

1) I think RCCL's newest ships may have solo studios, and possibly Crystal is going to roll some out?

2) I believe my fare was about $880 before taxes/port fees. It included a promotional code that I think turned out to be a $50 dining credit. I paid $179 for unlimited internet for the week, and $199 for unlimited thermal suite usage, on top of the fare.

In some cases the solo studios seem to go pretty high (> $1000), maybe because they are popular, and there may be cases where you can actually get a normal inside cabin for less than a studio, even paying the single supplement. I would probably pause before I did that, because I really liked the studio lock off and lounge, but it's something to keep in mind.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi perditax,

I'll be sailing in 3 weeks on the Breakaway in a studio and have been reading Getaway and Breakaway reviews to get a feel for what the studio experience is all about. My approach is very much like the one you expressed in #70 above:

"I can be a person who is a control freak sometimes (not to any great extent, but it’s there), and who notices details, including negative ones; but knowing ahead of time which things I could and could not control made ALL the difference. I don’t need things to be perfect, I just like to be prepared. And in the end, there were way more things to like than to complain about".

I really enjoyed your review and wanted to thank you for taking the time...and to let you know how much I enjoyed hearing/reading your voice.

Happy cruising!

Chris