Tendering in Juneau, Alaska

rayandshirl

We've cruised to Alaska several times but have never tendered in Juneau before. Does anyone know where the ship anchors? :confused:

When we did Alaska in 2011 I don't believe we tendered anywhere. We had our son along with us and he isn't able to tender due to his wheelchair and I don't recall him having to miss any ports.

It anchors out in the channel and the tenders land near the library.

Several years ago we had the privilege of watching our ship dock in Juneau. When the ship arrived there were too many ships in town and so our ship anchored out and they tendered most passengers in. About 2 hours later one of the Princess ships left and our ship pulled into that slip. We were up on Mt. Roberts and watched it happen.

Enjoy your holiday.

One of our Princess cruises to Alaska had it marked on our itinerary that Juneau would be a tendered port for us but it turned out not to be the case. There are a lot of ships in Alaska and other cruise lines competing for docking but sometimes schedules can be jockeyed.

I have tendered in Juneau and the ship tenders in the channel and you go into a dock. Looking at the Juneau sked for this year there appears to be a few dates that ships will tender but none appear to be Princess ships.

Usually it is the 10 dayer out of SFO that tenders as that arrives at different days of the week in Juneau vs the other ships have a set date every week or every other week and it is easier to plan a dock for that.

Are you sailing out of SFO? We tendered on RCCL once and it was inconvenient to do it but a convenient location (right downtown).

Edited by Coral

We were just there they pulled up to the dock ( just got off yesterday 6/21)

Tendering only occurs on days when they have more than 4 ships in port, which doesn't happen very often this year. When it does happen it would appear as though the pocket cruisers like the Silver Shadow get the pleasure of tendering. I did read a couple of weeks ago that there is some dock construction going on that may eliminate tendering next year.