Copenhagen Airport - Air Canada

If you are flying with Air Canada from Copenhagen, be sure to print out their baggage allowance regulations and have them with you. On our recent departure the agent weighed our checked bag first, then added our rolling carryons on top. We were told the carry ons would need to be checked in as the weight limit was exceeded (for $100 each). She then proceeded to tell both of us that backpacks are not considered personal items (we had no additional totes or purses), and would need to be checked in also (another $100 each). We argued that the items did comply with AC's guidelines and she told us obviously we had not read our ticket agreement.

We refused, asking for a supervisor. The agent came back and told us they would make "an exception" this time.

There were other customers who were receiving the same story - we even saw many complying and checking small bags. The line next to us seemed to have very different rules.

Upon returning home, I reviewed baggage policies online and found we were in compliance with all requirements, size and weight. They even list backpacks as a personal item as long as they meet size requirements.

We are awaiting a reply from AC Customer Service.

Edited by sippican

Could you please describe the agent who gave you such a hard time? If we have a choice, I'd like to avoid her line!!

There were two lines - one for those who were checked in and had printed luggage tags from the kiosks, the other for those who needed check-in assistance. Unfortunately, the kiosk only printed one tag instead of two, so we needed to get into the assistance line. Our agent was a younger female, lighter hair pulled back in a bun (the other agent was a more mature female, shorter hair).

I am guessing neither of them were AC employees - they probably contract out services at CPH. AC did just make some recent baggage/carry-on changes so it may have been a training issue taking time to make it down to the station. Not an excuse though.

We had no problem checking in at the end of May, with three large suitcases, a stroller, heavy backpacks and other carryon stuff.

I am guessing neither of them were AC employees - they probably contract out services at CPH. AC did just make some recent baggage/carry-on changes so it may have been a training issue taking time to make it down to the station. Not an excuse though.

We had no problem checking in at the end of May, with three large suitcases, a stroller, heavy backpacks and other carryon stuff.

Do you know what the recent changes are? She said they just got an e-mail saying no backpacks as personal items, but their website does not reflect that. (I have no idea if the employees were contracted out. They were wearing AC uniforms and had no noticeable accents, if that, means anything.)

:) Air Canada recently implemented a program of getting tough with carry on luggage, both weighing it and making sure it fits in a metal framed unit that represents the published sizes (as did United earlier ). If it is overweight, or does not fit in the template, then it must be checked.

Now, I am NOT making any reference to the original poster's personal event, but I for one say this is way overdue. I am tired of seeing people hauling cases the size of a small condo onto the airplane, hold up 100 or more people while they try to get it in the overhead bin, while taking up the entire bin for just their one behemoth bag.........oh, and of course, they then proceed 20 rows back further to their seat :eek:.

Very much like the passenger who has a purse, a laptop, a small carryon valise, and a garment bag. People : you are flying, not moving in !!!

That being said, rude service is NEVER acceptable.