Cruise Formal Nights

We are travelling on Ventura in September, we have 4 formal nights, I am stuck for ideas as to what type of dresses to wear for these nights, do ladies still wear the long sequin type long dresses ?

I have seen many beautiful dresses but don't want to go over the top, any ideas would be welcome.

My Husband will be wearing a Tuxedo , I love the maxi dresses, I am in my sixties .

What I do when there are a lot of formal nights is separates that feature black pants or a long black skirt and then sequined, sparkly, chiffon, velvet (winter) or satin tops and sometimes a black jacket. Then I bring 1 pair of black evening shoes. Keeps the packing to a minimum. Usually the last formal night is the least dressy, so I always keep that in mind as well. Often a little black dress with some glitzy accessories is sufficient.

Because many people have to fly and pay for luggage fees, people have cut back on formal wear.

Some ladies will stay wear formal gowns but many now wear cocktail dresses, fancy skirts or fancy pants with fancy tops. Mix up the ideas with different tops.

There are still some men who will wear a tuxedo but you will see more men wearing suits and ties or jackets with ties.

There are still some men who will wear a tuxedo but you will see more men wearing suits and ties or jackets with ties.

Ventura is P&O. 80-90% of men will be wearing either a dinner jacket or a dark suit with a bow tie.

As for dresses, almost anything goes. Uber-posh, or straightforward tops and skirts, or anything between.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

Go as over the top as you like. Glamorous ladies of any age are a joy to behold! My dresses for Azura Caribbean are long and sparkly and shorter but still sparkly! You only live once! Enjoy x

Thank you for the advice I am going to buy at least 2 long and sparkly dresses, I love to dress smart for a formal night.

So happy to know that couples still love to dress up for the formal nights, on the Azura in June couples of all ages were so beautifully dressed it makes for a special evening and many were eager to have Photographs taken, it creates a lovely memory.

I hope you have great fun buying your outfits and wearing them on your cruise. Don't forget to get some nice photos of you in your glad-rags, you can ask someone to take them with your own camera if you don't want to pay out for an official photo :)

"Maxi" dresses are not the same as "evening gowns"! And, evening gowns don't have to be bejeweled and sequined! But yes...folks still do tux and gown...not everyone, but some! You can't be overdressed on formal night.