Uber pick up from Port of Miami

girli565

Most threads I've searched talk about being dropped off by an uber at the POM but we live in Miami so we have a ride to the port. We just need a ride back home from the port once the cruise is over. Has anyone taken an uber after debarkation? How do they know what terminal to pick you up from? I'm an uber newbie but we have a capital one coupon to use and our ride would be pretty cheap so I'd like to use them.

Taxis will be lined up ready to ride.

But we have a coupon credit with uber so the ride will be practically free.

I tweeted uber Miami and they confirmed that they pick up at port of Miami and wanted me to share it with the cruise boards.

I had a discussion about this with one of my best friend's friend, who is on the corporate side of Uber down here, and he said they do pick up at the port her in Miami. We also asked one of our Uber drivers this weekend and he also said that he picks up. He said that's why he wears his baseball cap, he looks like any other person just picking someone up!

• 2 weeks later...

We just used an uber from POM to a hotel in Fort Laud. We had six people plus luggage. I waited until I had my luggage and was physically standing outside the terminal. I the. Lined the map up with exactly where I was standing. daf42898a2496bdde781c8f155ffec31.jpg

I then sent the driver a message with terminal and what I looked like.

Also if you have more than four people get someone else in your group to sign up for Uber using your promo code ( found under free rides in your menu). I had my wife do it and she got $20 off her fair then after words I got a $20 credit. 828a3fd4047c61d07754cf7bd418b3d6.jpg

f34d31fb132adf5828e3b0971f5e47d3.jpg

So total for six of us spread out in two cars was about $42 plus a tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have never used Uber before. I was wondering if they would pick us up (2 people, plus luggage) from Ft. Lauderdale airport to hotel (Hyatt Pier 66), then next day from hotel to cruise port (RCCL-Independence)? Also if anyone would know the cost compared to taxis? Thanks!

One of the locals may have a more recent update, but the most recent post I recall indicated that Uber was not allowed to pick up at either the FLL or MIA airports due to licensing and insurance restrictions.

The fare will vary with demand (beware surge pricing! :eek:) but will always be displayed for you to either accept/book the trip or decline and choose a taxi or other option.

For a comparison, a taxi from Pier 66 to POM should cost about $70-80 on the meter in a standard taxi.

We have never used Uber before. I was wondering if they would pick us up (2 people, plus luggage) from Ft. Lauderdale airport to hotel (Hyatt Pier 66), then next day from hotel to cruise port (RCCL-Independence)? Also if anyone would know the cost compared to taxis? Thanks!

According to recent news reports out of Fort Lauderdale, Uber is not allowed to pick up at the airport or port: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225818. There have been some reports that if the Uber driver has a chauffer's license they are not restricted.

pgharea, you may want to ask the moderators to take down your post with the picture of the Uber driver. They do pick up at the Miami port but technically are not really supposed to and can be ticketed. Many of the drivers will go out of their way to make it look like they are picking up friends and are not Uber drivers when picking up there.

• 8 months later...

We recently used Uber while in Miami, and were very happy with them. We had just signed up, so had two $15. rides free. We got picked up at the Miami airport and dropped off at our Miami Beach hotel (Holiday Inn). Then... the next morning we got an Uber ride from Miami Beach to the port for our Carnival cruise. Our driver did need to know the terminal letter, so I had to google that! He told us on the way that they are NOT supposed to give rides to the Port, and can be fined... but that he would. I asked him what the fine was, and he said $2000! So... I told him to drop us at the back of the line so he wouldn't have any issues. When we came back from the cruise, we used a taxi so we wouldn't have to worry about them getting fined. But... after staying another night in Miami, we then took a final Uber car to the airport for around $16. from Bayside. MUCH cheaper than a taxi. We were impressed by the Uber app... the drivers were there within 3 minutes each time we used the app... and we had a pic of the driver and a license plate number. We could even see the car approaching on the app's map function. Very cool! We will use Uber again. The one driver we had told us his whole life story of moving to the US from Haiti. Super interesting.

I had a long discussion with two drivers who do side work for Uber but also are involved with private car companies.

I guess after talking with them I am having second thoughts about Uber.

Drivers do not take drug tests whereas most companies require this nor do they take finger prints and run background checks.

I know, things can happen anywhere but just concerned about their capabilities.

Also they do not have chauffeur type licenses or commercial licenses. Just license like you and me.

Not saying this is bad. Just saying it makes me think on this a bit.

I tweeted uber to ask specifically if drivers could pick up and drop off at the POM and they responded that they could and no fines would be involved. The only spot I know of that fines is the airport and I believe that's only Fort Lauderdale.

I had a long discussion with two drivers who do side work for Uber but also are involved with private car companies.

I guess after talking with them I am having second thoughts about Uber.

Drivers do not take drug tests whereas most companies require this nor do they take finger prints and run background checks.

I know, things can happen anywhere but just concerned about their capabilities.

Also they do not have chauffeur type licenses or commercial licenses. Just license like you and me.

Not saying this is bad. Just saying it makes me think on this a bit.

Keith - did either mention if they are carrying additional insurance? That is my big hang-up (not my son's - he uses Uber everywhere up in DC) after reading an article in the financial section of the Washington Post providing guidance to Uber/Lyft drivers to make sure they carry more insurance than just a 'normal' policy since they are engaged in a business. I gathered from that article that Uber/Lyft did not make that a requirement.

Here in south Florida that worries me even more since when we moved here and our insurance rates increased dramatically, USAA said one of the major reasons was the number of uninsured drivers on the road (along with the number of unlicensed drivers on the road).

I tweeted uber to ask specifically if drivers could pick up and drop off at the POM and they responded that they could and no fines would be involved. The only spot I know of that fines is the airport and I believe that's only Fort Lauderdale.

There are no fines at Fort Lauderdale or Port Everglades - Uber drivers just need to follow the instructions. There are additional fees. See http://ubersouthflorida.com/broward/.

Keith - did either mention if they are carrying additional insurance? That is my big hang-up (not my son's - he uses Uber everywhere up in DC) after reading an article in the financial section of the Washington Post providing guidance to Uber/Lyft drivers to make sure they carry more insurance than just a 'normal' policy since they are engaged in a business. I gathered from that article that Uber/Lyft did not make that a requirement.

Here in south Florida that worries me even more since when we moved here and our insurance rates increased dramatically, USAA said one of the major reasons was the number of uninsured drivers on the road (along with the number of unlicensed drivers on the road).

Once a driver picks up a passenger, UBER's insurance coverage take effect. The driver's personal policy is not used.

blog_uber_insurance_4-3.jpg

Edited by Justprettynpink

Once a driver picks up a passenger, UBER's insurance coverage take effect. The driver's personal policy is not used.

blog_uber_insurance_4-3.jpg

Thank you! This must be a fairly recent (the Washington Post article was more than a year old) - and welcomed - update to Uber.

Just out of curiosity, I just looked up more insurance information on https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/rideshare-drivers-lack-insurance/. It was a very informative article aimed mostly at Uber and Lyft drivers on the need for additional insurance to protect themselves but the conclusion noted that:

"Meanwhile, drivers as well as passengers should understand their rights and risks when using ridesharing services. Uber’s terms of service denies any liability if a passenger is injured and requires binding arbitration if there’s a dispute. The company also recently changed its contract with drivers to require arbitration of disputes. So it’s important to keep in mind that the ridesharing economy is a risk-sharing one as well."

I still haven't decided if I'll use it even though my son keeps telling me that the business model is here to stay and grow in the future (must be a true sign that I'm getting old)!

Edited by capriccio

• 1 year later...