Favorite Excursion in Skagway

jormot

We are planning out our excursions for our July 2016 trip. Juneau and Ketchikan are done. However, we are unsure of what to do in Skagway. The train in not necessarily our favorite idea as we like something a bit more active & adventurous. Other than the train what has been your favorite excursion while in Skagway. Thanks for the input!

We loved the Glacier Point a Wilderness Safari, offered by many ship's tours but can also be booked directly from Skagway Shore Excursions. Here is what I posted on the Princess forum:

Skagway- We arrive very early, perhaps 5:30am. Our balcony is shoreside and very close to the rocky hillside where various ship's crews have been painting the rocks to commemorate their arrival in Alaska. The earliest one, that I could read,,was dated 1929. These are the kind of things that fascinate me (much more so than shopping). We disembarked at 7:00 to meet our tour at 7:15. We did the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. I booked directly with Skagway Shore Excursions, but it is the same tour that the ship offers. I had booked months in advance, so feel like I got a great price. We boarded a small boat and enjoyed a great 1 hour ride. Beautiful scenery, waterfalls everywhere and just as we approached the beach where we got out, there was a pod of orcas. There was a naturalist on board who was very knowledgeable and pointed out everything to us. Once off the boat we took an school bus over dirt roads to the area where we were outfitted with rubber boots and life jackets. There were warm jackets and rainwear if needed, as well as insect repellent. I should mention that from the time you leave the dock for the small boat trip, the only facilities are outhouses at the place you get your boots. From there it's about a 1/4 mile hike to the canoes on a clear but rocky path. Then we got in to the canoes, which also had motors. After some paddling, some motoring, we arrived at the glacier, beached the canoes and walked around. We crossed small streams created by glacial melt, checked out the rocks and just took in all of the great beauty. Each canoe had a guide (they live in a camp out there during the season). They were great and loved showing us around and were quite funny to boot. By the time we walked back to the canoes, the streams had changed course and we had a lot more water to wade through, but it made it even more fun. Paddled back to the base camp, got our shoes on and took the same bus back. Before boarding the boat, we had a picnic lunch in a nice meadow. The weather was perfect again and the setting was idyllic. Our canoe guide brought us some wild strawberries that were tiny but delicious. Another hour back to Skagway. This time the naturalist got us very close to a sea lion rookery. All together, the whole excursion was about 6.5 hours. Not super strenuous, but not for anyone with mobility issues or for those who can't bear the the thought of outhouses. We loved it and would recommend it to anyone who wants a nice outdoor experience. Back in Skagway, we waked into town. There is a shuttle, I believe, but it's a pleasant, easy walk and a good way to burn off the yummy Princess desserts. Lest you think I'm anti-shopping, I did buy a few things in town. Found good prices on Alaskan made ulu knives in a hardware store. Many of the cheaper ulus are made in China, so be sure to check and if you are flying home, pack them in your checked luggage. It sprinkled once or twice, but hardly enough to notice, Back to the ship for naps and relaxing on the balcony. We slept very well that night!

Edited by rpcv77
Addition

We loved the Glacier Point a Wilderness Safari, offered by many ship's tours but can also be booked directly from Skagway Shore Excursions. Here is what I posted on the Princess forum:

Skagway- We arrive very early, perhaps 5:30am. Our balcony is shoreside and very close to the rocky hillside where various ship's crews have been painting the rocks to commemorate their arrival in Alaska. The earliest one, that I could read,,was dated 1929. These are the kind of things that fascinate me (much more so than shopping). We disembarked at 7:00 to meet our tour at 7:15. We did the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. I booked directly with Skagway Shore Excursions, but it is the same tour that the ship offers. I had booked months in advance, so feel like I got a great price. We boarded a small boat and enjoyed a great 1 hour ride. Beautiful scenery, waterfalls everywhere and just as we approached the beach where we got out, there was a pod of orcas. There was a naturalist on board who was very knowledgeable and pointed out everything to us. Once off the boat we took an school bus over dirt roads to the area where we were outfitted with rubber boots and life jackets. There were warm jackets and rainwear if needed, as well as insect repellent. I should mention that from the time you leave the dock for the small boat trip, the only facilities are outhouses at the place you get your boots. From there it's about a 1/4 mile hike to the canoes on a clear but rocky path. Then we got in to the canoes, which also had motors. After some paddling, some motoring, we arrived at the glacier, beached the canoes and walked around. We crossed small streams created by glacial melt, checked out the rocks and just took in all of the great beauty. Each canoe had a guide (they live in a camp out there during the season). They were great and loved showing us around and were quite funny to boot. By the time we walked back to the canoes, the streams had changed course and we had a lot more water to wade through, but it made it even more fun. Paddled back to the base camp, got our shoes on and took the same bus back. Before boarding the boat, we had a picnic lunch in a nice meadow. The weather was perfect again and the setting was idyllic. Our canoe guide brought us some wild strawberries that were tiny but delicious. Another hour back to Skagway. This time the naturalist got us very close to a sea lion rookery. All together, the whole excursion was about 6.5 hours. Not super strenuous, but not for anyone with mobility issues or for those who can't bear the the thought of outhouses. We loved it and would recommend it to anyone who wants a nice outdoor experience. Back in Skagway, we waked into town. There is a shuttle, I believe, but it's a pleasant, easy walk and a good way to burn off the yummy Princess desserts. Lest you think I'm anti-shopping, I did buy a few things in town. Found good prices on Alaskan made ulu knives in a hardware store. Many of the cheaper ulus are made in China, so be sure to check and if you are flying home, pack them in your checked luggage. It sprinkled once or twice, but hardly enough to notice, Back to the ship for naps and relaxing on the balcony. We slept very well that night!

Thanks for the great description - we are considering this vs the train/drive and this helps :-)

The most active excursion and my all-time fave is dog sledding in the snow. Seeing and hearing 240 dogs barking to be the ones to lead your 3-person sled was quite an experience. Great helicopter tour is included.

P5120078.jpg?i=621657281

P5120110.jpg?i=289983811

P5120133.jpg?i=1514988496

With your "active" reference- renting bikes on a nice day and riding out to Dyea. You are MUCH better off, knowing in advance the details of this ride- so if an option, note what you are passing and the historical highlights.

Hiking Lower Dewey Lake- more "active"- Upper Dewey lake. :)

We enjoyed renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake. I liked being on our own time (other than making sure to get back) and being able to stop when and where we wanted to. One of my favorite memories was picking wild blueberries near a waterfall.

We just got back on Saturday. We chose to do the Summit to sea bicycle ride. They haul you up to the summit by van and you ride downhill back to Skagway. There is only one short uphill and even I (a bit out of shape) was able to do it. The guides were encouraging and supportive of all the riders whether they were fast or slow (like me). It can go at a pretty fast clip so be prepared for that. I was the slowest in the group but the guide in the back had no problems with that and was VERY encouraging with me to only go at my own pace. Good safe bikes and helmets are provided. They stop about 5 times on the way down for pictures and a quick rest/stretch. Highly recommend for an active excursion.

We are doing the grizzly falls ziplining and the summer dogsledding in Skagway. We booked directly with the company and since we booked them back to back we got a nice discount. They both get great reviews on tripadvisor.

We are in our 40s and have been in Skagway many times. We have been to the graveyard, walked around town, taken the White Pass Railway, rented our own car and done the jeep excursion. The jeep excursion was by far our favorite. As a matter of fact, we are going again this summer and have already booked it for a second time. On the excursion you drive into the Yukon and end up at a city called Carcross. There are several jeeps that drive in tandem and you can either drive or go as a passenger. They hooked it so that the tour guide could talk to all of the jeeps through the speakers. We drove off-road to a beautiful spot and were able to try some unusual Alaskan food. Last time we went, we spotted a bear.

We also have done the helicopter / dog sledding excursion. Crew News' pictures brought back some great memories. Of all the things we've done this was without a doubt the most memorable. Truly, a once in a lifetime experience. Could not recommend it more highly.

Couple weeks from now we're doing a hike/float trip where you hike a couple miles of the Chilkoot trail then do a raft float down the river (no white water, just a mild float). I thought it sounded interesting, so we'll see in a couple weeks when we give it a try.