Grand, Golden and Star to receive "Movies Under the Stars" theatre

Coral

Princess Press Release

4/7/2004

PRINCESS TO ADD POPULAR OUTDOOR MOVIE THEATER CONCEPT TO ITS SEVEN-DAY CARIBBEAN FLEET

All Grand-Class Ships to be Fitted with State-of-the-Art Outdoor Movie Screen

One of the most acclaimed features on Caribbean Princess when she debuted last week, the "Movies Under the Stars" poolside theater has already made such a splash that Princess will expand the concept and install additional screens on all of its seven-day Caribbean vessels. These screens will be added to Princess' trademark Grand-class ships, Grand Princess, Golden Princess and Star Princess.

"Movies Under the Stars has proven to be an immediate hit with both travel agents and passengers," said Jan Swartz, Princess' senior vice president of sales and customer service. "Everyone loves to go to the movies, but few have the opportunity to watch them while floating in the pool mid-day or while enjoying a cocktail in the evening.

"This million-dollar screen is more than 300 square feet in size with a 69,000-watt sound system and has sufficient lighting power to be seen clearly at mid-day and heard clearly even while the ship is moving at full speed -- offering passengers a movie experience comparable to the best shoreside movie theater."

Caribbean Princess' giant Times Square-style LED (Light Emitting Diode) screen shows a variety of entertainment throughout the day, including up to three feature length films. In addition to family cinema and first run hits, passengers can enjoy major sporting events and other can't-miss programming. Complimentary chaise lounge reservations, special movie theme cocktails and casual dining are offered to round out the ultimate poolside experience.

Couple of comments -

Sort of interesting that it is "an immediate hit amongst passengers/agents" when the ship hasn't finished it's inaugural sailing and has only had passengers for about 5 days now. I am not knocking the concept (trying to reserve judgement until I have seen it) - just thought they would evaluate the concept for more then a week before they add this to other ships.

I am curious how they are going to do this. I thought they couldn't put a retractable roof on the Caribbean Princess due to this screen. I am assuming they are going to keep the retractable roof on the Grand/Golden/Star.

--------------

Sue - I have no clue. I like to walk on the decks at night and this will prevent this. I am also trying to figure out how one can walk through from one side of the ship to the other to get to the Horizon Court at night. Supposedly, the area with the movies will be restricted to those with tickets.....Could be interesting on how Princess implements this.

Also curious if those nice Lido balconies will be quiet or if they can hear the movie.

Coral, will it be loud enough to hear all over the ship on deck? I hope not. Sue

7 Days on The Star Princess OCTOBER,24,2004

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=10>

<param name="day" value=24>

<param name="hour" value=05>

</applet>

I should clarify. I know it will be a hit for many. We enjoy the aft deck because it is quiet compared to the main pool. I am wondering if you can hear it back there. It sounds like a really loud system. Sorry if I sounded rude. Didn't mean to be. Sue

7 Days on The Star Princess OCTOBER,24,2004

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

</applet>

My thoughts mirror yours, Coral...I don't either see how it can be such a hit after half a sailing. Did you catch Alan's report from Cruise News Daily? He also seems to be enamored with the concept.

I’m not sure this type of entertainment is suitable for ships that are on non-Caribbean – for lack of a better word – itineraries. For some reason, it seems to be OK in the Caribbean where a more party atmosphere is in order. But I can’t see it being a viable offer in Europe or the Far East. Or in Alaska - who wants to sit outside in Alaska?? And I certainly hope it doesn’t entail removal of the retractable roof over the pool…that would truly be a shame.

Interesting days at Princess Cruises…

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

bdjam -

I have read Alan's comments and I respect Alan quite a bit so I am trying to not jump to negative conclusions about this until I have seen it (no plans yet to sail Caribbean Princess soon).

I was thinking of Europe sailings also. Not sure if there will be a Grand class in Alaska in the near future with the Diamond and Sapphire having easier accessibility to Alaska. Did you notice that the Diamond and Sapphire was left off this list....

The part that sort of bugs me is that it seems like Princess' attempt to compete directly with RCCL's Voyager class is becoming more and more clear. I thought it was just the Caribbean Princess wouuld be competing with the Voyager class but now it is all of the Grand class ships. And though I am not a big fan of the Grand class (have sailed it 4x though), I still do enjoy the ships and I don't think it should compete with the Voyager class.

When I was watching the intrview with "Doc" and "Capt Stubing", the screen was right behind them. It appeared there was a raised deck, fenced in, that had blue lounge chairs on it. I believe that is the ticket section. But below was the main pool. Nothing can stop the people at the pool from seeing or hearing it, without tickets. I can just hear it now, with kids playing and people talking, and the gys sitting around watching sports, or people listening to a movie, yelling "shut up". I really hope it doesn't happen that way. Sue

7 Days on The Star Princess October24,2004

</applet>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coral:

The part that sort of bugs me is that it seems like Princess' attempt to compete directly with RCCL's Voyager class is becoming more and more clear. I thought it was just the Caribbean Princess wouuld be competing with the Voyager class but now it is all of the Grand class ships. And though I am not a big fan of the Grand class (have sailed it 4x though), I still do enjoy the ships and I don't think it should compete with the Voyager class.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Competing with RCI is the new reality for Princess it seems. They are looking for a gimmick, any gimmick to go against RCI's multitude of gimmicks (Johnny Rocket's, rock climbing wall, ice-skating rink, Royal Promenade, etc.).

I wonder if the screens will be featured on the outdoor pools instead of the covered ones.

Also, is this yet another potential new revenue source? I can see them charging for the maroon MUTS chaise-loungers in the future.

I am with Coral on this one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Movies Under the Stars has proven to be an immediate hit with both travel agents and passengers,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? One of the reason we wanted to avoid RCCL was because of their rock climbing wall and ice rink. Maybe Princess will add a bungee cord jump next. We could jump off the back of Skywalker's.

- Jeff and Angie

Golden Princess - So. Caribbean, 10th Anniversary 5/16/2004<BRcountdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;16;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Great!

We'll get it in June on our CP cruise then in October on our Star cruise.

Good move, smart marketing, nobody else has it, no-brainer to put it on all ships possible.

If you haven't been following this story closely check out Cruise News Daily or any of the summaries of those articles floating around on the boards. I trust them and there seems to be absolutely no doubt about the popularity, even before the conclusion of the first cruise.

But I sure do see your concern

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

chris, I sure hope you are right.

7 Days on The Star Princess October24,2004

</applet>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The part that sort of bugs me is that it seems like Princess' attempt to compete directly with RCCL's Voyager class is becoming more and more clear. I thought it was just the Caribbean Princess wouuld be competing with the Voyager class but now it is all of the Grand class ships. And though I am not a big fan of the Grand class (have sailed it 4x though), I still do enjoy the ships and I don't think it should compete with the Voyager class. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Again, according to Cruise News Daily, Princess is positioning itself to compete with RCI in the Caribbean…period. I guess not just with Caribbean Princess, but I would have thought also that the Movies gimmick would apply only to the new ship. My hope is that the revenue made on the 7-day Caribbean runs will help support the line in it’s hopefully continued quest for longer, more exotic itineraries – the ones I prefer.

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

bdjam - when I read Alan's columns in CND - I thought it would only apply to the Caribbean Princess and her sister (which I was content with), not to all Grand class ships.

Sort of frustrating to me - I have sailed RCCL's Voyager class and really don't care to return. As much as I would love to do some of the exotic itineraries - my vacation time/budget doesn't currently allow for it.

--------

As far as the screen on the outside pool (with out the retractable roof) - that does sound like the most logical place for it.

I did catch some of the webcast after the wedding and I have to admit - that screen is definitely bright. I could see the screen crystal clear even during day light.

[This message was edited by Coral on 04-07-04 at 08:50 PM.]

Don't get me wrong, Coral...I'm in agreement with you. While they're not my favorite, I think the Grand Class ships are excellent and I think Princess really could compete in the market without the movie screens. And you're right - the 7-day cruises do make for a good - although short - vacation. I don't know - I'm kind of surprised at this development - that's two in one week. As I say, interesting days at Princess...

I wonder if Diamond and Sapphire are out of the mix due to the different funnel treatment because of the gas turbines?

I haven't seen it yet, but I admit that I don't like the idea. I didn't like it for the Caribbean Princess but I thought that was fine, I won't sail that ship. Now, I need to rule out all of the Grand class ships.

I go on Princess (NOT RCCL), for a classy cruise experience. I do not cruise to watch movies or sports shows. I can do that at home. I like to walk around the pool area at night and take in a quiet midnight swim or use the hot tubs. This is a fad that won't last long. Unfortunately Princess will spend tons to implement this.

I am not a Celebrity fan but this may make me reconsider.

Awww, am I the only nostalgic, hopeless romantic on these boards? I have very fond memories of my whole family lying on the hood of our car watching movies at the drive-in when I was little. Reading this press release made all those memories flood back, and I thought what a nice new memory to make of DH and me snuggled up next to each other on lounge chairs watching a movie under the stars with the ocean as the soundtrack. Maybe it's just a Southern thing to want to combine technology with nature... Our small town government recently approved the purchase of a large screen to show movies in our town square on Saturday nights spring through fall. I can't wait to gather up our kids, pack a picnic and lay out on a quilt under the stars for a family movie with the community. Sounds like heaven to me...(For those who would like, insert Arkansas hillbilly joke here)

Hopefully, that will be reality (both on the ship and in our town square). I will admit, though, I'm not so sure how I'll really like it if they're showing things all day and night on the big screen on deck.

I noticed the press release didn't give a time frame for the implementation of the movie screens. Hopefully, they'll have it on the Grand when we're on her in December. Until then, I'll reserve judgment (and continue with my starry-eyed, optimistic dreams).

soccermommie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> continue with my starry-eyed, optimistic dreams <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You won't be alone

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

This is so disgusting and such horrible news. Why does Princess insist on debasing itself like this?

I pray this things stay off of the Diamond and Sapphire.

Our selected President speaks:

"More Muslims have died at the hands of killers than--I say more Muslims--a

lot of Muslims have died--I don't know the exact count--at Istanbul. Look

at these different places around the world where there's been tremendous

death and destruction because killers kill." Dubya--Washington, D.C., Jan. 29,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Maybe it's just a Southern thing to want to combine technology with nature... Our small town government recently approved the purchase of a large screen to show movies in our town square on Saturday nights spring through fall.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL... Maybe it is a Southern thing! We have Fiday Night Flicks here in our little town, where they set up a big screen at the park and families can go have picnics and watch a movie outdoors. It's very popular.

On a ship, I think it sounds like fun, as long as I cannot hear it at all unless I am there in front of it. If I can go and sit at the adult pool to relax and still hear the movie, I'm going to have a big giant problem with it.

But I don't sail until next March, so at least I'll have plenty of time to hear other people's reviews of it!

-gina-

Grand Princess, here we come!! 3/12/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;3;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Disney Magic: 2/02, 2/03, 2/04

Count me as one that thinks it's a great idea! I love it and am thrilled to hear my November cruise on the Grand will have this option.

Has anyone heard of the schedule for installing the screens on the Grand class ships? Will they be done immediately or wait for a drydock?

Scott in TX

From what I understand - Princess is not sure if they can install the screens while the ships are in service or if they need to wait for a dry dock. So schedules are still up in the air.

Archived