Grand, Golden and Star to receive "Movies Under the Stars" theatre

Coral

I can see both sides of the argument presented here. My initial thoughts from the announcement was remincesing the drive-in movies, as well as the movies in the park; a section of the ship and a pool set aside just for this with an evening movie shown and the speakers aimed just at these areas. But when people post that this could be going on most hours of the day broadcasting what you can find at home on your tv, but with a sound system that could create a noise pollution level similar to that of our fellow drivers on the city streets - egads! Maybe the ship could have a daily drawing as to who gets the remote control for the day.

One can only hope the entertainment department of the cruise line will exercise some intelligent control over administering the new attraction.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until my next cruise

I am so glad we sailed on the Golden before they have the screen added. Just think of the advertising they are going to subject you to. All day, every day. And wait to they start signing up the big boys - "Coke" and "Dos Equis". There goes the peace and quiet. I bet they are drooling over the anticipated revenue. Brilliant marketing though.

Golden - April 2004
Millie - Nov 2003
Pride - April @003
Grand - Nov 2002
VOS - April 2002
Victory - Dec @001

I'm glad to hear that other cruisers share our concerns about MUTS. We're a young couple (27 & 26) booked on the Nov. 20 CP sailing and we're concerned that the cruiseline we fell in love with on our honeymoon has chosen a new direction. Of course, we will reserve final judgement until after our Nov. cruise.

Nevertheless, if we feel that our enjoyment of the cruise has been negatively affected in any way, we will definitely start shopping around for another cruiseline to call our own. We love the peacefulness of the ship at night as we roam the top decks. It's a shame that may be interrupted by a movie I can watch at home ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Jason Pancake
Grand Princess - 03/11/2001 (<A HREF=http://www.houseofpancake.com/pictures.php?id=14>Pictures</A>)
Caribbean Princess 11/20/2004

This whole movie-screen idea confuses me! Movies under the stars or music-videos in the daytime and eliminate the live band at the pool! Which is it?
Looking at all the photos it looks like the big screen is located at the forward pool. Is there also a screen for the indoor pool which I thought lost their roof.
If Princess is going to re-fit the Golden, Grand and Star its going to be a lot of work because the forward pool area lost the dolphin fountain.
Boy , I sure hope they leave the Star alone till after I cruise in October. If I wanted daytime videos on deck I would cruise another line with skating rinks and rock climbing. sb

Grand Princess Sept 2001
Grand Princess Sept 2002
Grand Princess Oct 2003
Star Princess Oct 2004

If this has already been posted elsewhere, my apologies.

Two excellent shots of MUTS courtesy of Cruise News Daily:

[url="http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/nf40406.html"]http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/nf40406.html[/url]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sarasotasteve:
Looking at all the photos it looks like the big screen is located at the forward pool. Is there also a screen for the indoor pool which I thought lost their roof.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The screen is located at the 'midship' pool; the one that is covered on all other Grand Class vessels. You can see this on the CND photos linked above.

Good question about Grand/Golden/Star. We can assume (hope) they aren't planning on removing the glass dome over the midships pool, but rather, I would think they will 'tack-on' the screen on the mini-golf bulkhead facing the forward pool.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CGT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steve2001:
Here is my $0.02. Who else can't wait for Monday Night Football now? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God, you see? This is the kind of nightmare I'm talking about.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...CGT must be a Giants fan. Which, in that case, I could see his point [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

55 days, 7 ships
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;11;20;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until Ship #8

Another purist here. I'm not overly emotional about MUTS but I do think that it mars the design of the existing Grand Class ships to retrofit them to accomodate the screen. I think that we are bombarded and overstimulated enough by the media already. When I cruise I escape things like ads, Tv, radio, cell phones etc. Watching a huge video screen by a pool has nothing to do with the cruise experience I want to have.

As I recall, Grand and the Voyager came out within months of each other and I think there has been great rivalry there. I recall sailing on the Grand during her inagural year and coming up along the Voyager off Florida. We hauled to pass her (fairly closely) and the CD came on the PA and made some rather amusing comments about the Grand's superiority and the fact that we were sailing at capacity while they were only half sold. Somehow, I don't think the addition of MUTS does that much to make these ships directly comparable. That said, we haven't sailed a Grand Class ship in the Caribbean again nor would it be my first choice. I only sail these ships when they're the only option for the itinerary, like my upcoming Baltics cruise.

I agree with Jsea and BDjam that Princess continues, degree by degree, to alter her course. We have contemplated switching lines. Celebrity lures us with a promise of quiet sophistication, but we know we would miss the fresh water pools and the Horizon Court. More recently, Holland America has been calling us with their efforts to re-establish themselves as a notch above - the pillow top mattress, fine china, suite perks, etc all are alluring. I remember that not that long ago the real rivalry was Princess and HAL not RCCL.

I'm a pretty brand loyal consumer and change would be hard for me. I've been keeping a wait and see attitude and fortunately I'm able to cruise about every 6 months. I see changes everytime, usually minor details that in isolation wouldn't make much difference but they add up over time. Anybody in marketing knows about drift - little changes made to brands and then measured against the changed brand instead of the original brand can really take you off course by compounding the changes over time. In the case of Princess, it seems clear to me that some of the changes are strategic. I think others, particularly the smaller changes implemented help to generate revenue, are not really strategic and have eroded the quality of the Princess brand.

Cruisin' Chris

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;5;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]  5/19/04 Grand Princess Baltic Heritage

<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I agree with Jsea and BDjam that Princess continues, degree by degree, to alter her course. We have contemplated switching lines. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I'm with Coral - nicely said. And as you point out, I too am concerned with the alteration of the course of the Sea Witch. We - those who are loyal repeat customers - keep hoping (and in my case, asking) for a return to the premium line that Princess once was, with smaller, more intimate ships and more exotic itineraries...with a few sea days thrown in for good measure.

Instead we get promises of inclusion of small ships and then the small ships are moved to P&O, and - big screen TV. As others have posted, the LAST thing I want to do on a cruise is be bombarded with media messages and have a TV blasting at me. I only turn the TV on in my cabin for the music stations - or to see the bridge cam.

As for switching lines - yeah, I've thought of that too, but so far I've not been adversely affected by the Princess course. And, I'm coming up on Elite status in just a few cruises. So, is there enough motivation from having that status to keep me with the big-screen TV cruiseline? I don't know...I guess we'll have to see how these new developments pan out...I'm kind of hoping that the announcement to modify the Grand Class ships was premature and there will be some structural issue they can't overcome which will prevent it. I do know that it will be a shame for me to have to start all over with some other cruise line...

His name has been mentioned a couple of times over at Cruise News Daily, but I've neglected to make note of it. Maybe a few well-placed letters to the new President of Princess might be of some value. I don't see them changing anyone's mind - but at least they would be a means to voice an opinion... [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

-------------------------
Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

Thanks for nice words.

Yes, I doubt that we'll actually take the plunge to another line unless things become unbearable. If I'm counting correctly, the Baltic cruise is number 15 so my next one, right now booked as a Christmas cruise on the Coral (which I am likely going to switch-unfortunately) we'll get the nice benefits. Makes it harder to stray - which I guess is the whole point, right?

Right now we try to manage the situation by booking longer or more exotic itineraries. This seems to help with the ambience issue and I have noticed big differences in service, quality of food etc. I think Princess tries a bit harder to go the extra mile on those cruises. They remind me more of the pre-Grand Princess we fell in love with.

All this said, we're enjoying the new lower price tag that goes with cruising these days. Pre-9/11 per diems on Princess were running in the mid-$200s for an outside...Far cry from where we are now - that will buy you a minisuite today. I don't doubt that the lines make money but they're not making what they used to...the overbuilding helped to guarantee that. So, I'll play along for now. Still beats any other kind of vacation. Ah, I think my countdown clock is in the 30 day range now!!! AHHHHH

Cruisin' Chris

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;5;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]  5/19/04 Grand Princess Baltic Heritage

<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ah, I think my countdown clock is in the 30 day range now!!! AHHHHH
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Rub it in!!

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

Maybe it is just my opinion, but I hate to see them outfitting all of the ships with the same things. I like the different ships to offer different ideas, it makes them much more interesting. Kind of gives each ship a different personality. But it sounds to me like all class ships in a fleet will pretty much be carbon copies of the next one. IMHO

Sun Princess March 30th, 2004
Tahitian October 14th,2004

jsea,
Thanks for the link!

I'm not a tv or movie watcher at home, either, so don't think it'll interest me. In fact, I like the smaller ships anyway. I'm going on the Star in Oct. and will see!
I've kind of avoided RCI for awhile, as I don't like those big ships, with too many kids, and attractions! Same with Carnival.
Princess, don't try to compete with them! I love you as you are!!!

Nita

Interesting the Cruise Critic article on the installation of "Movies" on the rest of the Grand Class fleet...they indicate the change is not destined for Diamond and Sapphire due to the magradome over the pool, but also indicate it doesn't seem to be stopping modifications to the rest of the Grand Class...

If the magradome is in the way, I would think this means it's destined to come off Grand, Golden and Star. Given the extensive "balcony" area on Caribbean Princess for the loungers, I think this is a logical step.

It's also an unfortunate step...the Conservatory area is very tranquil - even with the noisy pool below - and again we're asked to give up the peace and quiet some of us search for on a cruise for a type-A activity.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Princess, don't try to compete with them! I love you as you are!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I'm not quite sure what the reason is that there is the perception that all cruise lines have to compete directly with each other with their products. One of the reasons Carnival said it wanted Princess was to fulfill its objective of having a cruise line for everyone under its corporate umbrella...so let Princess be what it was as it certainly would have its own niche.

But then, that's too close to HAL and not enough competition for RCI, I guess...so instead there is a threat to the quality of the product... [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I've only been on one HAL cruise, and didn't think they compared to Princess that much. I think Princess is for ALL ages, not just young, not just older. And I like that they limit the amount of kids on each sailing. Now if I wanted a sedate cruise, I'd take HAL. Or a kids cruise, Carnival or RCI. I just think Princess is quality with a medium amount of activites for all ages. Just a good mix. Just the way I like it!

Nita

I think Carnival should be the line going head to head with RCI. In my mind they are more similar to begin with. HAL should be the one going after Celebrity and leave Princess right in the middle just where we like it.

With just one sailing of the CP complete i've already noticed first time Princess cruiser's commenting that they like RCI better. Thats great sail with the cruise line that suits your taste but don't bash a cruise line because it is a little different than suits your style.

Sorry if i'm rambling but it took me 13 sailings to find the cruise line that fit me perfectly and now i'm afraid they are going to change [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Scott

Hi Scott. Me too!! I just found it. I love the grand class, and I know I would love the smaller ships with the longer cruises too, but all of my responsibilities, I can't do that yet. I feel it is ok if they have two ships that have a different feel, but they should leave the other ships alone. Then everyone has a different ship to choose from, in the same line. Princess has so many faithful followers, I would hate to see the competition between the two lines take them both down.

Sue
7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Scott, then Sue; you took the words right out of my fingers.

I hadn't really thought of it all like that before until I read your posts.

Splendid observations, both

Happy Cruising

Chris

[url="http://www.LifeIsCruising.com"]www.LifeIsCruising.com[/url]

Next up:
Caribbean Princess 06/26/04
Star Princess 10/24/04
Carnival Victory 12/19/04
Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

gGood morning, Chris. Believe me. I am not giving up. Princess is the createst cruise line I have been on and I love it. I do want to try the Carribean, probably next year. I refuse to be negative, because I haven't been on her. I am glad that we straightened out the Horizon hrs. That was a bonus. Still don't understand why you are not allowed to swim in the pool by the movie when it was going. And I do believe they will straighten out the PC when they get a little more expierence. Maybe this weekend we will get some more reviews and someone will bring back news on the Carib menu. I can't wait till we go on the Star. My home town isn't as much fun as yours, I guess. Lol.

Sue
7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Archived