Juneau Question

LuvtheBeach10

:confused: In Juneau we are booked for the Medenhall Helicopter/Dog Sledding tour but we do not have to meet for that until 4:30pm. The ship arrives that morning at 11, is there time to do anything else during the day or is there enough to keep us busy just walking around the port? I checked out Harv and Marv to see if we could fit in whale watching that morning but there's are all afternoon tours around the same time we are doing the other excursion.

Thank you for the information! On the tram to Mt. Roberts, is there hiking once you get there or do you just ride up for the view and then right back? I guess I am wondering how much time to allow for doing this on our own.

It's a 2.5 mile hike through forest back down the mountain or you can just ride back.

It's a 2.5 mile hike through forest back down the mountain or you can just ride back.

There are other hiking trails on top as well. IF you walk down, be certain to have checked the weather for each of several days prior. If any rain, that trail can be a mud slick, due to having some very steep areas.

:confused: In Juneau we are booked for the Medenhall Helicopter/Dog Sledding tour but we do not have to meet for that until 4:30pm. The ship arrives that morning at 11, is there time to do anything else during the day or is there enough to keep us busy just walking around the port? I checked out Harv and Marv to see if we could fit in whale watching that morning but there's are all afternoon tours around the same time we are doing the other excursion.

Frankly, you chose a time, that doesn't make the best use of your entire port time. IF you want to whale watch, I suggest you start over, and cobook a whale watch and glacier dog sledding. There are 2 other companies to consider with dog sled camps set up.

you can easily do both tours. it is essential you cobook these, have you asked TEMSCO?

Edited by Budget Queen

Frankly, you chose a time, that doesn't make the best use of your entire port time. IF you want to whale watch, I suggest you start over, and cobook a whale watch and glacier dog sledding. There are 2 other companies to consider with dog sled camps set up.

you can easily do both tours. it is essential you cobook these, have you asked TEMSCO?

I booked through my travel agency's excursion site but I checked and TEMSO is the vendor. We booked last October and were not given a choice of times, we were assigned this time I assumed because the later in the afternoon maybe the fog lifts and less flights are cancelled? I looked again and there was not an option for the helicopter/dog sledding/whale watching...

So, I can contact the excursion site again to see if the whale watching can be added or do I bypass them and call TEMSCO directly?

Thank you for the heads up, I assumed I was now on my own to try to fill in the space.

I booked through my travel agency's excursion site but I checked and TEMSO is the vendor. We booked last October and were not given a choice of times, we were assigned this time I assumed because the later in the afternoon maybe the fog lifts and less flights are cancelled? I looked again and there was not an option for the helicopter/dog sledding/whale watching...

So, I can contact the excursion site again to see if the whale watching can be added or do I bypass them and call TEMSCO directly?

Thank you for the heads up, I assumed I was now on my own to try to fill in the space.

You made the mistake of booking through a booking agent and not direct. Your assumptions are not accurate on the time issue. IF you had just booked with a whale watch vendor or a glacier dog sled tour operator- you could have EASILY had a cobooking done. This may not happen with a booking agent. But, you need to go through them NOW. IF they won't, or don't find anything- realize they are only going to book based on commissions- So I would suggest you inquire- DIRECT, if there are any openings available for cobooking, with all three helicopter vendors.

Determine if any fees are involved with any cancelation. Small price to pay- to fix what you have.

You made the mistake of booking through a booking agent and not direct. Your assumptions are not accurate on the time issue. IF you had just booked with a whale watch vendor or a glacier dog sled tour operator- you could have EASILY had a cobooking done. This may not happen with a booking agent. But, you need to go through them NOW. IF they won't, or don't find anything- realize they are only going to book based on commissions- So I would suggest you inquire- DIRECT, if there are any openings available for cobooking, with all three helicopter vendors.

Determine if any fees are involved with any cancelation. Small price to pay- to fix what you have.

I checked before cancelling my reservation. They are booked for that day so I'll keep what I have and am now informed for the next time! When we very first started planning this cruise, I had only ever booked through the cruise line and I have used this travel agency for some things in the Caribbean that looked fun that weren't necessary choices available thru the cruise line. (They have a guarantee to get you to the next port at their expense if we should miss the ship!) I have never booked directly through a vendor but this is definitely something I'll consider in the future!

I checked before cancelling my reservation. They are booked for that day so I'll keep what I have and am now informed for the next time! When we very first started planning this cruise, I had only ever booked through the cruise line and I have used this travel agency for some things in the Caribbean that looked fun that weren't necessary choices available thru the cruise line. (They have a guarantee to get you to the next port at their expense if we should miss the ship!) I have never booked directly through a vendor but this is definitely something I'll consider in the future!

Did you check the other 2 vendors? As I said, TEMSCO is heavily ship contracted. One other is as well, but the third is independent.

Have you checked with Orca Enterprises? We just booked with them for an evening whale watching, mainly because it would be less crowded than the morning but they had openings for the morning. We are just going to sightsee around Juneau, come back to the ship to rest, eat lunch and then whale watch from 3-6:30 p.m. OE was very nice and easy to work with so far.

Have you checked with Orca Enterprises? We just booked with them for an evening whale watching, mainly because it would be less crowded than the morning but they had openings for the morning. We are just going to sightsee around Juneau, come back to the ship to rest, eat lunch and then whale watch from 3-6:30 p.m. OE was very nice and easy to work with so far.

I highly recommend Orca Enterprises, they also can cobook a glacier dog sled tour.

Thank you for the information. I did call to check with them and they did not have anything for that morning. Oh well, we can shop around some and eat at Tracy's Crab Shack for lunch I guess. :)