Free Promo Ultimate Beverage Package

RVman

We cruised in March with the UBP and didn't pay additional gratuity. We will be sailing again in Dec and again have the UBP. Just so I have this correct, do we pay 18% on each drink? Or the value of the entire package? And is this added to our sign and sail? I did not see any additional gratuity charges when I booked. Just want to be prepared for all the extra charges...$13.00 pp for DSC and then 18% of the UBP...WOW that will be close to $500 in tips?? And then we always tip extra for good service.

If you bought the UBP, then you paid the 18% at the time of purchase. If you received it as a promo, then it was included if you booked before June 1. If you booked after June 1 and received it as a promo, the 18% would have been added to your outstanding cruise balance. Either way, you will pay no drink gratuities on the ship because with UBP, it's taken care of before you sail.

Edited by LrgPizza

• 3 weeks later...
So if the first and second adult cruisers get the UBP via the promo (didn't pay for it...only 18% charge) do I have to purchase a soda package for my teenager in the same cabin?

No, the teen can purchase sodas one at a time on the ship or you can bring on your own sodas.

No, the teen can purchase sodas one at a time on the ship or you can bring on your own sodas.

Oh, NCL lets you bring soda onboard? We've cruised more than 35 times, but this is only our 2nd time on NCL. Thanks for the info!

Oh, NCL lets you bring soda onboard? We've cruised more than 35 times, but this is only our 2nd time on NCL. Thanks for the info!

http://www.ncl.com/faq#can-i-bring-my-own-water-or-soda-onboard

No problem bringing on your own soda, and you can ask the cabin steward to empty the mini bar so you have room to keep it in there.

okay, think I have it straight now. we booked in March and our cruise documentation does not show any 18% added on. In fact my Amenity Confirm show the pkg/service charge as $0.00. we are on Sky

If I understand correct, if we now book another cruise on Sky (Which I am sure we will b/c of the pkg) the price of the tips will be added to our final cruise balance?

Or maybe not since on Sky the pkg is automatically applied for all cruises after the 1st of the year? So not having to pay 18% as it is included?

Edited by karena1

I read that in US ports there is a port tax that we will be responsible for with the ubp. About how much will that be?

??

No, while docked at port you might have to pay that state's sales tax for any drinks purchased before you leave. It would be approx. 50 cents per drink.

booked the package for Oct. cruise on Epic, Southampton to Barcelona. The 18% gratuity is on my final payment due. What are the implications for VAT? Is that added per drink at time of purchase? Or will VAT be applied to the actual cost of the package? Is VAT applied to all onboard purchases or only those while docked?

Thanks,

Tony

• 1 month later...

Book our very first cruise to the Western Caribbean, Jan 2017 under the current Free Unlimited Beverage Promo. However, the more I sit and stew on it, the more I'm wondering if I made the wrong choic. My husband is the only pop and heavy alcohol drinker, I drink water with meals and may have one to two alcoholic drinks per day, MAX if any.

Here's where it doesn't make sense to me, and maybe this is due to my lack of experience on a cruise, but if we are only at sea two days and on land 4 days, how can we possibly get the maximum benefit out of this "FREE" incentive with only two entire days on the ship? Does it carry over to land? Can you walk off ship with a drink? As we have already been charged the anticipated gratuity of 18%, at almost $70 per person for the charge, we're paying gratuity for a projected consumption of almost $350 total each? That seems excessive.

Am I over thinking this? Would the deal for the third free passenger be better, for a $199 credit and to just pay as we go for drinks? Experts, please help! Posed this question in first time cruisers as well. Thanks!

Am I over thinking this? Would the deal for the third free passenger be better, for a $199 credit and to just pay as we go for drinks?

Are you saying that you have 3 people in your cabin, and the cruise fare for the 3rd passenger was $199? In that case, the two of you need to drink $199 + 2 * $68, or about $335 in drinks (including tips) to make the UBP a better value for you. That is about $48 per day for your 7-day cruise, which is about 4 alcoholic drinks plus a couple of sodas between the two of you. Since you say you will have one or two drinks a day, and you describe your husband as a "heavy alcohol drinker", it doesn't sound like you will have a lot of difficulty making the UBP worthwhile. But if you don't think you will drink that much, then call and change perks.
Does it carry over to land?
Does your cruise stop at Great Stirrup Cay? The UBP works there.

Maybe a silly question but here goes...

In regards to having the UBP, how long do they make you wait to get another drink? I mean, if I order a beer, drink a little then decide I want another to take back to my room do I have to finish the first one before they'll give me another?

I'm just curious how strict they are, I'm to looking to cheat them, just don't want to have to wait a while for a drink if service is slow.

In regards to having the UBP, how long do they make you wait to get another drink? I mean, if I order a beer, drink a little then decide I want another to take back to my room do I have to finish the first one before they'll give me another?

I'm just curious how strict they are, I'm to looking to cheat them, just don't want to have to wait a while for a drink if service is slow.

Not on Ncl, I think you can only get one at a time though? But no time wait...

To the PPer, I don't know why people think that the UBP means that the ship is going to become some drunken party. The fact of the matter is, those that wanted to drink heavily, would've purchased the package anyway, they just lucked out because they got it as a perk. The vast majority are probably people like me...I have absolutely no plans to even get tipsy, I go most cruises drinking maybe 1-2 drinks (because I am cheap lol), but am excited about the opportunity to try drinks without feeling like I am wasting money.

For the people in the room who dont have the UBP promotion, is there a way to buy just the package for them?

If so, can person 3 and 4 get just the cheeper wine and beer package or is it because 1 and 2 has UBP, 3&4 can only get the more expensive UBP and nothing else?

For the people in the room who dont have the UBP promotion, is there a way to buy just the package for them?

If so, can person 3 and 4 get just the cheeper wine and beer package or is it because 1 and 2 has UBP, 3&4 can only get the more expensive UBP and nothing else?

Since the first 2 got it as a promo, the others can buy whatever they want. Personally, I'd pay as I go rather than get the lame beer/wine package. It's difficult to break even on that one.

Since the first 2 got it as a promo, the others can buy whatever they want. Personally, I'd pay as I go rather than get the lame beer/wine package. It's difficult to break even on that one.

We are going in November & bringing my MIL. My husband & I for the UBP as a promotion so I was told we did not need to buy a package for her (however, if we paid for it she would have to have the same package.) We can buy her the package if we want & it can be the cheaper one, not the ultimate. That is what I was told by my TA so I hope he's right lol

Folks, best advice I can give you is to read the Terms and Conditions of the promos that you receive. Terms of what seems like a similar promo can, and do, change from month to month.

If you don't have the UBP promo and have to purchase it simply read the Terms and Conditions of the UBP.

It's all spelled out in black and white. Promo terms link is always on the very bottom of the promo page.

I also think the UBP is much better. But I used to only drink what comes in the corks and caps and if you have more than 6 or 7 it is worth it. remember a brew with tip is like 6.75 a piece. most wine above $7.

That is pretty much one alcoholic beverage per day excluding the 18% you'll need to pay anyway.

The bad news, we'll probably now have a boat load of drunks on our cruise and long lines at the bars. The UDP sounds interesting, but restaurants will likely be packed. I think we'll take the excursion credit.

There's nothing wrong with getting drunk on a cruise, not getting drunk on a cruise would be like going to Italy and not having Italian food lol.

There's no real time wait. Just got off the Epic with UBP.

If you feel bad about going to the same bartender with a drink in your hand just go to another bar and discreetly put the drink on the side.

Also if you have 2 people with UBP on you room they never asked me for my GF's card when ordering 2 drinks so you can just back yourself up that way. Also several of the drink servers at the pool or bars knew what's up and asked if I just wanted 2 drinks since my GF wasn't finished with hers yet. It also helps them not having to come around as quickly and you'll less likely be thirsty by the time they do.

Overall, had no complaints about the drink service with many people on UBP.