Post-Alaska Depression

shandean

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I had a very strong connection to Alaska... just got back Sunday. I'm seriously depressed and feel like I need to move there! Too bad my husband and child don't feel the same, and neither does my boss. :)

I'm watching every documentary I can find and just can't get this gorgeous place out of my head.

Needless to say, we had an amazing trip! I appreciate all the advice I found here that helped me tremendously when it came to planning.

I hear you, Shandean; I experience that withdrawal every time I come back from Alaska. Only thing to do is book another Alaska cruise:) Or plan a land trip there:)

Karin:

I am doing two this summer. I am on the Oosterdam again. Later this summer I will do the 14 day one on the Statendam. Hope you are well. Give my best to your sister.

Moving to Alaska, for me not so much......to Barbados, no problem mon.:D However, I confess that at one point in my career about 40 years ago I seriously considered moving to Whitehorse, YT then somebody told me that it is much easier to take clothes off than put them on....and for once I listened.;)

I've land traveled Alaska before (cruise still coming) and left feeling "changed". It is such a special place and I dream of going there someday and renting a house for an entire year - to get the full experience. LOL Having lived most of my life in the snow belt of Michigan I think I could handle it!!!

I feel "changed" as well, since my trip. Maybe we can be roommates for that year, Jane, since my husband does NOT want to go for the winter. :) I have 6 more years to get my kid through high school, then we should plan it. What will our location be? I grew up in Appalachia with rough winters and LOVE winter and am sure I would enjoy it as well. Also, the darkness all day in the winter really is fascinating to me.

So Middleaged, this is one issue I have. I know my trip to AK was possibly a once in a lifetime thing, as I have SO many places on my list that I'd like to see... and only so much vacation time and travel money each year. Next is probably Switzerland.

Anyway, glad to know I'm not alone!

A couple of suggestions to help you recover:

1. write a trip report. It doesn't have to be a 20 pg photojournal .... just whatever you have time for. Even if it's just a paragraph to describe what you did at each port, vendors you used, highlights.

2. read trip reports on the Alaska forum of tripadvisor as they come in this summer

3. follow some travelers on the Alaska forum of mytripjournal.com

4. google 'island girl walkabout'. They're travelling around the US for a few yrs in a large motorhome and this summer is3 months in Alaska. Right now they're in Valdez. He's a photographer .. the blog is beautiful.