Is a rental car in Skagway a good idea?

stacyh270

DH and I are having a hard time deciding what to do in Skagway. We booked late and are scrambling to get all our shore excursions planned (Ketchikan, Junea, and Skagway) and, in looking at Skagway, I've seen several people recommend renting a car versus taking the train/coach. However, I'm concerned that we may miss some beautiful views by going off on our own but may also gain some other beautiful views by having the flexibility of a car.

Another concern is crossing the border into Canada....is there usually a long line at border crossing?

We are in port from 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. and we'd hate to miss the boat :D

If you've done this sort of thing before, I'd love to see your itinerary as well as know where the best places to stop for lunch and dinner are. Thanks!

We just got back from our trip. We rented a car in Skagway and drove all the way up to Emerald Lake. I recommend it because you can stop when you want and explore along the way. The views are incredible. We had lunch at the Bistro in Carcross, busy but very good.

There was no line crossing the border into Canada, or coming back into the USA. We were only in port from 7-4 and made it in plenty of time.

We just got back from our trip. We rented a car in Skagway and drove all the way up to Emerald Lake. I recommend it because you can stop when you want and explore along the way. The views are incredible. We had lunch at the Bistro in Carcross, busy but very good.

There was no line crossing the border into Canada, or coming back into the USA. We were only in port from 7-4 and made it in plenty of time.

Awesome! Thanks!

I rented a car (Avis) the last time I was in Skagway. It seems that I had pretty much the same port time as you will. Picked it up as soon as they opened (8:00-ish). Then did a leisurely drive as far as Emerald Lake. Lots of nice landscapes along the way. A couple of bear sightings alongside the road. I got a few decent pictures. As I saw one tourist with a big DSLR following a bear into the woods, I decided it was time to leave to avoid hearing his blood curdling screams.

I had lunch in Carcross. There are a couple of nice cafes in town that make good sandwiches. Got my passport stamped at the Visitor Center. Then it was on to the desert and then Emerald Lake.

Border crossings took no time at all. Just a couple of cars ahead of me and then a few questions. Do remember your passport though; otherwise your drive will be a short one.

On the way back, I detoured to Dyea. Great viewpoint overlooking Skagway on the way there.

Back in Skagway, I drove to the Gold Rush cemetery and hiked to lower Reid Falls. Since I wanted to explore downtown Skagway, I refueled (at the one gas station in town) and returned the car.

I would recommend renting a car, especially if you've done the other excursions in Skagway previously (railroad, Glacier Point, etc.)

We rented through green jeep tours two years ago and really enjoyed it. More expensive than regular car rental, but was worth it. Shared the cost with an Austrailian Cruise Critic couple. Ironically, Canadaians cannot rent cars in the U.S. and drive them into Canada. Something about the way cars are taxed in Canada.

I rented a car (Avis) the last time I was in Skagway. It seems that I had pretty much the same port time as you will. Picked it up as soon as they opened (8:00-ish). Then did a leisurely drive as far as Emerald Lake. Lots of nice landscapes along the way. A couple of bear sightings alongside the road. I got a few decent pictures. As I saw one tourist with a big DSLR following a bear into the woods, I decided it was time to leave to avoid hearing his blood curdling screams.

I had lunch in Carcross. There are a couple of nice cafes in town that make good sandwiches. Got my passport stamped at the Visitor Center. Then it was on to the desert and then Emerald Lake.

Border crossings took no time at all. Just a couple of cars ahead of me and then a few questions. Do remember your passport though; otherwise your drive will be a short one.

On the way back, I detoured to Dyea. Great viewpoint overlooking Skagway on the way there.

Back in Skagway, I drove to the Gold Rush cemetery and hiked to lower Reid Falls. Since I wanted to explore downtown Skagway, I refueled (at the one gas station in town) and returned the car.

I would recommend renting a car, especially if you've done the other excursions in Skagway previously (railroad, Glacier Point, etc.)

Thanks! This is our first time to Alaska so we've never done the other tours. However, I don't think DH is necessarily enthusiastic about a train ride (esp the price compared to a rental car).

I booked the Avis car with no commitment right now but I'm thinking the car rental will be the way to go. DH really wants to go into the Yukon and I'm not thrilled about being confined by a tour.

Most people use Emerald Lake as the turnaround spot. Carcross is the only town along the route and also now a nice spot for lunch. The last couple of years they have built up a small area with some shops and cafes so now there are actually some options. Along the way there are many scenic viewpoints and places to stop which the car gives you flexibility.

On my trip this year for the first time I spotted a bear along side the road and watched him for 5-10 minutes before he took off. I was at the Avis office shortly before they opened at 8am and was first out the door and on the road by 8:05am. With many stops and lunch in Carcross I dropped the car off by 2pm and still had lots of time to wander around Skagway.

I've also done the train trips multiple times and they do offer a different view. If you take the train my recommendation is to take the longest trip and the bus back, the scenery gets better the farther you get from Skagway.

If you've done this sort of thing before, I'd love to see your itinerary as well as know where the best places to stop for lunch and dinner are. Thanks!

With only one trip to Alaska, I'm not an expert by any means, but here are links to two blog posts and LOTS of photos from our day in Skagway last summer. We rented a car from Avis and drove as far as Emerald Lake. Before returning the car, we also stopped at the Gold Rush cemetary outside of Skagway and did the short hike to Reid Falls. The posts should give you an idea of what to expect if you decide to rent a car for the day.

Skagway, Part 1

Skagway, Part 2

As far as meals, we took some snacks with us and then had ice cream for lunch at Carcross. (Hey...you can do that sort of thing when you are on vacation!!) ;)

My suggestion is to download Murray's Guide which is a mile-by-mile guide to the points of interest along the South Klondike Highway. The extensive paid version is only $5.00, but you can also download a shorter free version. We had both but really only used the shorter free guide. Here is a link to the website: Murray's Guide

We were very fortunate to have nice weather and the scenery along the highway was spectacular!!

IMG_0386.JPG

DH and I are having a hard time deciding what to do in Skagway. We booked late and are scrambling to get all our shore excursions planned (Ketchikan, Junea, and Skagway)
Due to work commitments, I book my cruises with less than 2 weeks before departures. The only excursions that sell out early are marine and flight tours. In fact, I often went up to the tour desk and ask which one is a "near sell-out" and book there the night before.

When sold out... private tours are a second option.

Due to work commitments, I book my cruises with less than 2 weeks before departures. The only excursions that sell out early are marine and flight tours. In fact, I often went up to the tour desk and ask which one is a "near sell-out" and book there the night before.

When sold out... private tours are a second option.

We always go with private tours as our first option because most cruise lines increase the price significantly. We've never had a problem in the Caribbean doing what we wanted by just walking off the boat and finding a vendor or taxi but Alaska appears to require a little more forward thinking than we are accustom to since we've not been able to find a salmon charter in Ketchikan yet that wasn't booked. I was told yesterday by a private operator that, this close to sailing, to book through the ship (which is $60pp more than most private tours). :rolleyes:

A lot of the morning whale watching excursions in Juneau are booked, too, but we don't mind an afternoon one since we are in port until 10pm.

With only one trip to Alaska, I'm not an expert by any means, but here are links to two blog posts and LOTS of photos from our day in Skagway last summer. We rented a car from Avis and drove as far as Emerald Lake. Before returning the car, we also stopped at the Gold Rush cemetary outside of Skagway and did the short hike to Reid Falls. The posts should give you an idea of what to expect if you decide to rent a car for the day.

Skagway, Part 1

Skagway, Part 2

As far as meals, we took some snacks with us and then had ice cream for lunch at Carcross. (Hey...you can do that sort of thing when you are on vacation!!) ;)

My suggestion is to download Murray's Guide which is a mile-by-mile guide to the points of interest along the South Klondike Highway. The extensive paid version is only $5.00, but you can also download a shorter free version. We had both but really only used the shorter free guide. Here is a link to the website: Murray's Guide

We were very fortunate to have nice weather and the scenery along the highway was spectacular!!

IMG_0386.JPG

Gorgeous photo! Hoping for sunshine that day for us!!

I downloaded the guide you mentioned. I'm starting to think the rental is the best way got us, especially since we have a lot of time in port. It gives us a lot of flexibility and since we typically "fly by the seat of our pants" on most everything (hence booking next week's cruise last week:D ), it'll be nice I'm sure.

One question...did you walk from port to Avis or was there a shuttle/taxi?

Depending on which cruise line/dock your at its generally at most a 10-15 minute walk. There is a local shuttle of a couple of buck but not sure what time it starts in the morning

Avis opens at 8am and I was waiting before that when they arrived. They checked me in a little before the official opening time and I was on the road by 8:05. Its nice to get a head start on all of the tourist buses headed up the road. I saw a bear by the side of the road only a couple of miles out of town and stopped in the middle of the road for well over 5 minutes watching as there was no traffic headed either way.

I have driven to Emerald Lake and taken the train twice. If it was my first time, I would take the train unless you really like to drive and meander on your own. Crossing the border is no problem, finding bathrooms and driving behind trucks are a little of a challenge. I didn't find the sights to Emerald Lake to be worth the drive compared to letting someone else drive the train. But I just got done driving through 1200 miles of Alaska.

I downloaded the guide you mentioned. I'm starting to think the rental is the best way got us, especially since we have a lot of time in port. It gives us a lot of flexibility and since we typically "fly by the seat of our pants" on most everything (hence booking next week's cruise last week:D ), it'll be nice I'm sure.

I'm not positive, but I "think" I read on CC recently that the Avis office had moved to a new location. Otherwise...where the office was located last year was about a 15 minute walk from where we were docked.

Not sure if you looked at the blog posts, but here is a photo of their office. We got there before the office opened at 8 a.m. and there was already a line. Do make sure you reserve your car in advance. The car we were "supposed" to rent turned out to be at the airport location instead and we got the last car available in town.

IMG_1932.JPG

I'm not positive, but I "think" I read on CC recently that the Avis office had moved to a new location. Otherwise...where the office was located last year was about a 15 minute walk from where we were docked.

Not sure if you looked at the blog posts, but here is a photo of their office. We got there before the office opened at 8 a.m. and there was already a line. Do make sure you reserve your car in advance. The car we were "supposed" to rent turned out to be at the airport location instead and we got the last car available in town.

IMG_1932.JPG

Google says it is located on 3rd Avenue and is 0.4 miles from the Port of Skagway.....might make for a little morning "exercise" :)

I have reserved the car so hoping one is actually available if/when we arrive. I'm 99% sure this is the way we'll explore Skagway and beyond.

Google says it is located on 3rd Avenue and is 0.4 miles from the Port of Skagway.....might make for a little morning "exercise" :)

I have reserved the car so hoping one is actually available if/when we arrive. I'm 99% sure this is the way we'll explore Skagway and beyond.

Don't let that photo scare you, all those people are not headed to Avis. HAL uses this location and the main Hotel across the street for their cruisetour guests, I'm sure they are waiting to board their buses. Its still a good idea to get there a bit early.

And also remember that nowadays .4 miles is only about two ship lengths. lol

The line at Avis is only early in the morning when the office first opens.

We like to pick up our car later, after the crowd clears out, when there is no line at all.

We also have the highway practically all to ourselves that way, as most of the tour buses and vans and jeeps are long gone.

Incidentally, it has been reported that the law was changed so that Canadians can rent cars in Skagway to take the drive up to the Yukon just like the rest of us.

So if there are any Canadians on here who want to do that, it is worth checking out.

When we rented from Avis a few weeks ago, the office was still at the same location as last year (3rd + Spring Streets).

I second the previous recommendation to get Murray's Guide.

Edited by fleckle

We rented through green jeep tours two years ago and really enjoyed it. More expensive than regular car rental, but was worth it. Shared the cost with an Austrailian Cruise Critic couple. Ironically, Canadaians cannot rent cars in the U.S. and drive them into Canada. Something about the way cars are taxed in Canada.

RVRoadie --- Just an FYI, Canadians can rent cars in the U.S. and drive them into Canada. We did exactly that last year with Avis in Skagway. No problem whatsoever doing so, at least in Skagway anyway. Beautiful, beautiful drive.

Like others, we drove all the way to Emerald Lake, had plenty of time to make it there and back and do some shopping after in beautiful Skagway. Highly recommend doing this!!!

Don't let that photo scare you, all those people are not headed to Avis. HAL uses this location and the main Hotel across the street for their cruisetour guests, I'm sure they are waiting to board their buses. Its still a good idea to get there a bit early.

And also remember that nowadays .4 miles is only about two ship lengths. lol

The people by the street might be waiting on tours, but the rest were in line for Avis. It took about 30 minutes for us to get our car.

We are Canadians and were in Stagway at the end of May. We rented our car from Avis, and crossed the border without any problems. I also put my vote in as a wonderful day for those that are thinking of driving to Emerald Lake. Since our ship wasn't leaving until later in the evening, we carried on up the highway to Whitehorse ...just so we could say we did it. We saw the SS Klondike, a stern wheeler that used to travel up and down the Yukon River. The extra drive to Whitehorse was nice to do, if you have the time, but the scenery driving to and from Emerald Lake from Stagway was much more stunning so don't worry if you can't go as far as Whitehorse.

I did spend the money for Murrays guide, listing mileage markers from Stagway up to Emerald Lake. I my opinion it added to what we were seeing, and was worth every penny( it was only $5 when I bought it)

We are Canadians and were in Stagway at the end of May. We rented our car from Avis, and crossed the border without any problems. I also put my vote in as a wonderful day for those that are thinking of driving to Emerald Lake. Since our ship wasn't leaving until later in the evening, we carried on up the highway to Whitehorse ...just so we could say we did it. We saw the SS Klondike, a stern wheeler that used to travel up and down the Yukon River. The extra drive to Whitehorse was nice to do, if you have the time, but the scenery driving to and from Emerald Lake from Stagway was much more stunning so don't worry if you can't go as far as Whitehorse.

I did spend the money for Murrays guide, listing mileage markers from Stagway up to Emerald Lake. I my opinion it added to what we were seeing, and was worth every penny( it was only $5 when I bought it)

Where can you buy Murray's guide?