Free wifi in ports?

michelle028

Hi All,

Looking for free wifi in the following ports:

Livorno (and visiting Pisa and Florence)

Naples (and visiting Sorrento)

Civitavecchia (and visiting Rome)

Are there any free spots right near where you dock? Or is it in the cities?

In Europe, do you normally have to buy something before you get the wifi?

Thanks for your help!

Ask the crew on your ship. They'll know where any hot-spots are near the ship.

Most cafes & bars have free Wi-Fi, they'll have signs advertising this. The vast vast majority will need a password, available from servers - so yes, effectively you have to buy something.

But.

But but but but but .................. .

The quality of signal is extremely variable, from excellent :) to un-usable. :mad:

So check to see if other customers are happily tapping-away - or even ask them - before ordering.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Mr. Bull is correct on where to find WiFi. Also, there are still some places that require a passport for foreigners to use their WiFi hotspot. My last one was a spot in Volterra.

Whether or not you order something or "poach" the establishment's WiFi access, well that is up to you. I always buy - I can always use something to drink. Actually, I do the same when using a toilet in an establishment - I will buy something. It's my way of thanking them for allowing me to use the toilet and to pay for it's upkeep. For WiFi, that establishment had to pay for the router and access point, and has to pay for the connection. So, my rationale is the same, and I pay.

• 3 weeks later...
Does Boingo work in any of the ports? I have only used it in airports so not real familiar with using it i other locations.

thanks

Go to the Boingo website - type in your ports - and see what comes up. I know there are sites in Rome. At least, that way, you will have an idea on what you will be able to find once you hit your ports.

Find a McDonald's or a Starbucks. I believe the majority of their restaurants have free wifi and they are found in all of the places that the OP is visiting. You may have to register for free to use the wifi and you can buy yourself a drink and enjoy the wifi for as long as you like

In Civitavecchia, there is a McDonald's near to the fortress where the shuttle buses used to drop off at the port exit. I believe McDonald's in Livorno is near to the shuttle bus drop off. There will be a Starbucks near to most tourist attractions in all of the above ports

In Civitavecchia: Your ship will offer a free shuttle to the port gates. From there walk to your right (in town) and you'll see Bar Vespucci. A small town bar with great coffee, pastries and free wifi. When you order a coffee (1Euro), ask for the wifi password